Huge amounts of coolant loss

iDriftYou

Oct 10, 2010
SoCal/805
D.J.T.;1777197 said:
Only reason its hard as a rock is because your loss of coolant, which = overheating. even after hard driving my upper rad hose never gets hard. A hard upper rad hose is a sign over overheating. better watch out...

I forgot to state that I dont have a thermostat installed atm.

iDriftYou

Oct 10, 2010
SoCal/805
JStoked;1777463 said:
Dude give it up you have a bhg. The longer you run and drive it the worse of you are going to be on your rebuild.

how the hell do I have a BHG? Leme get back perform necessary tests and then let everyone know. No need to jump to conclusions, Head gasket was done when I rebuilt the motor, maybe 3k miles ago.

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
iDriftYou;1777877 said:
how the hell do I have a BHG? Leme get back perform necessary tests and then let everyone know. No need to jump to conclusions, Head gasket was done when I rebuilt the motor, maybe 3k miles ago.

What kind of HG did you use?

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Have you run a compression test? When you rebuilt it and installed the HG, what did you torque the bolts to? What bolts were used? Were they ARP bolts or studs? What HG did you use? Did you re-torque after 500ish miles?

iDriftYou

Oct 10, 2010
SoCal/805
D.J.T.;1777934 said:
What kind of HG did you use?
HKS 1.2 MHG
IndigoMKII;1777947 said:
Have you run a compression test? When you rebuilt it and installed the HG, what did you torque the bolts to? What bolts were used? Were they ARP bolts or studs? What HG did you use? Did you re-torque after 500ish miles?

Running all test over winter break, I have midterms and I'm 100 miles away from home. I used a HKS 1.2 MHG with ARP undercut head studs, studs were torqued to 95 ft/ lbs and retorqued to 95 ft/lbs after 550 miles.

Another MkIII

Feb 22, 2009
Chicago
iDriftYou;1777877 said:
That's about 2999 more miles than most headgaskets go. :D
In all seriousness though, if you have no obvious leaks and coolant mysteriously disappearing, I would be looking at the feasibility of HG replacement, just in case. Hopefully that's not the case, but it usually is with these cars.
-AM3

BigKO

Nov 5, 2008
Riverside
LOL. Turns out everyone is telling you the same stuff I told you. First step is to pressure check the cooling system. You don't need any tools, just go to Vato Zone and rent one of their pressure testers. They are free if you return it :) Good Luck! Hopefully it isn't the Head gasket. Fingers crossed

iDriftYou

Oct 10, 2010
SoCal/805
BigKO;1778104 said:
LOL. Turns out everyone is telling you the same stuff I told you. First step is to pressure check the cooling system. You don't need any tools, just go to Vato Zone and rent one of their pressure testers. They are free if you return it :) Good Luck! Hopefully it isn't the Head gasket. Fingers crossed

Lol thanks Ken.

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
Another MkIII;1778091 said:
That's about 2999 more miles than most headgaskets go. :D
In all seriousness though, if you have no obvious leaks and coolant mysteriously disappearing, I would be looking at the feasibility of HG replacement, just in case. Hopefully that's not the case, but it usually is with these cars.
-AM3
It depends how well you did the job... I was told to run a 2mm MHG but i used a federal mogul HG.. used stock bolts... torqued to 75lbs. didn't retorque the bolts because i didn't have time because i had just started a job... a year later & 11K miles later... it still runs. BUUUT! I AM running stock. Only aftermarket parts are 2.5" intercooler piping. spearco replica intercooler & 3" exhaust (has a big dent now..).. & the downpipe is 2.5" or 2.25" to 3".. :3d_frown: