How to tint your own taillights

p5150

ASE and FAA A&P Certified
Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO USE THESE CHEMICALS WITHOUT AN APPROPRIATE RESPIRATOR AND ADEQUATE VENTILATION. THEY CAN KILL YOU. ALWAYS FOLLOW THE RECOMMENDATION OF THE CLEAR COAT MANUFACTURER. APPROPRIATE EQUIPMENT IS REALLY NOT THAT EXPENSIVE SO JUST SPEND THE MONEY AND QUIT BEING A CHEAP ASS.

www.hotrodders.com and www.paintucation.com has a lot of good tips on their forums for how to paint. Look there for general practices and familiarize yourself with them.

Now that out of the way, lets get down to business. Here is what I used:

1. Respirator with appropriate filter
  2. Ventilated, relatively dust free room (clean garage will do for these small items
  3. One $19.99 harbor freight detail gravity feed paint gun. Mine has a small .8 mm tip and is purple.
  4. An air compressor with an inline water separator/filter. Make sure it has enough cfm to run your gun
  5. One quart of PPG or Omni clear coat with hardener (Paint store)
  6. Small can of solvent to clean your paint gun (Paint store)
  7. Small can of cleaner or isopropyl alcohol to clean off grease/oil right before paint
  8. Some tint for the clear. I used some black pigment that I had them put in a drip bottle. You will need about 1/8 cup of this. (Paint store)
  9. A red, 3M scrub pad. (Paint store)
  10. Ajax powder cleaner
  11. Plastic adhesion promoter (Get at Paint store)
  12. Tack cloth (Paint store)
  13. Box of latex or nitrile gloves
  14. Roll of blue shop towels or equivalent lint free towels

All of this stuff will cost about 100 bucks. The process can take up to 4 days so make sure you have the space available.

Ensure that your workbench or paint area is clean before starting this. Vacuum, hose on the floor, whatever. You get the idea. The room doesnt have to be perfect but it should be relatively clean to where you dont kick up a lot of dust by moving around or spraying. I like to vacuum with the shop vac first and lay down plastic on the work bench.

Remove your taillights from the car and separate the outer lens CAREFULLY from the back side.

I wear gloves when washing and after washing to ensure I dont get the lights oily!

Once they are separated, take the outer lenses to a utility or kitchen sink and scrub them clean using part of the scrub pad and Ajax. This will remove any garbage you have on the lights and roughen up the exterior surface to aid in the adhesion. The Ajax is preferred but not necessary. Just ensure that the soap you use dissolves without leaving a film. Ensure that You scrub every square inch of the exterior of the lens to include the black trim around the sides.

Once they have dried (air hose?) look over them to ensure that there is no gloss left on the surface. If there is, spot scrub/sand it. Dont worry about surface cracks too much. The clear will fill them in and minimize their appearance if they dont disappear altogether!

When they are properly prepped, lay the lenses out with their edges off of the flat surface you are using to rest them on. I like a bench better than the floor because there is less dust. Prop it up with whatever you may find. Just ensure it is clean. They should lay relatively parallel to the ground so that you can lay the clear on thick while minimizing runs.

Once everything is set up and you are satisfied with how they lay out on your work surface, go over the lenses lightly with your tack cloth to get off the dust. PUT ON YOUR RESPIRATOR AND ENSURE YOU HAVE ADEQUATE VENTILATION. Spray the plastic adhesion promoter according to the directions on the can. While it is setting on the lenses start mixing your clear coat.

The first coat of clear I sprayed was not tinted. I do not know how the tint would affect the adhesion of the first coat so I didnt try it. I recommend, because I know it works, to keep the first coat clear.

Once the clear has been mixed with the hardener, dump it in the gun and get ready. If you have never sprayed before I recommend trying it out on a junk piece of something to get a feel for it. Configure your gun to spray how you want it.

Lightly go over the lights again with a tack rag.

Spray a light coat of clear followed by a good wet coat of clear. Wait 20 minutes or so and then spray another coat of clear. I like to put the lights under or next to a halogen light in between coats to help it harden up and minimize runs. Ensure you have sprayed the entire exterior of the light to include the black edges. Dont freak out if you have some small dust particles in it. Hair, yes, get it out. You wont even be able to tell once you are all done with the process.

Take a look at your lights. They should look new! If they do not have a glossy appearance, chances are that you did not spray it on thick enough. Make sure you clean your gun out and remember not to stir up dust doing it.

Once this first set of coats has been completed, let it sit for about 12 hours or until the clear has hardened enough to sand without clumping. Go over the exterior of the lights again with your red 3m style pad and roughen it up for the next coat. You wont need the plastic adhesion promoter anymore.

I used the Omni Cleaner (NOT SOLVENT; they are two completely different things) to wipe the lights off prior to spraying to remove any suspected surface contaminants. You can use isopropyl alcohol too...

I had to put about 20 drops of black pigment per mix/application of clear to get the coats to make a difference in the tint appearance. You will get a feel for it after a few applications. Mix up the clear with the tint and repeat the previous.

You will keep applying tinted clear over the next couple of days until you are satisfied with the darkness of the lenses. Once they are dark enough spray a couple coats of UNTINTED clear. They should be dry and ready to put on in 24 hours.

After you are all done, wet sand as necessary. I wait until I put the lenses back on the car to sand and buff. When I put my lenses back together I applied some RTV where Toyota had their factory adhesive. It helps to eliminate vibration. You will know what im talking about when you take them apart.

The attached pics are after the lights were completed and cured for a few months. The last one is what it looks like after 2000 grit sanding. You can see the orange peel on the passenger side lens - it will all come off. The drivers side lens came out very nice and flat.

Best of luck and please ask questions if you have them.

Attachments

• DSCN1841.JPG
    DSCN1841.JPG
    191.7 KB · Views: 42
  • DSCN1842.JPG
    DSCN1842.JPG
    168.4 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCN1843.JPG
    DSCN1843.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCN1844.JPG
    DSCN1844.JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCN1845.JPG
    DSCN1845.JPG
    172.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
:ttiwwp:

I'm sure I'll end up doing this to Vonda's car later on when I actually feel like messing with it again. Thanks for the write up. I think Ken had put one up too, but I'm not sure.

p5150

Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
mk3713;983549 said:
Theres a cheaper way that yields good results and does not involve having to buy a paint gun and all that other stuff. I helped a friend tint his trucks taillights and they looked really good. Heres a link with pics http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Tutorial:Smoking_Taillights

Yeah - I saw that a long time ago but it is an inferior product. They do not use a catalyzed clear coat. It will not last as long.

Also, using a real clear coat will fill in the cracks, chips and imperfections you get with older taillights, and you can wet sand/buff if it ever gets scratched.

supralexus

Oct 15, 2007
idaho
yep done this tones of times but i use candy base coat. and you can do side markers, tail lights whatever you can think of. and it make them look brand new when your done.

p5150

Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
supralexus;983716 said:
yep done this tones of times but i use candy base coat. and you can do side markers, tail lights whatever you can think of. and it make them look brand new when your done.

Yeah I tinted all of my side markers and turn signals too. Everything looks brand new.

p5150

Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
noah89t;983882 said:
why would you post all of this and not post pics of the progress with the final product?

Because I didnt take pictures of the progress. I guess you can take it for what it is worth.

forcefedsupra

aka, Turd Furguson
Jul 19, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Look at my sig, I used Nite Shades from Jegs. I then clearcoated it. It looks great without a lot of effort. I only needed the tint spray, clear coat, abrasive pads, and I polished them a little afterwards. People constantly comment on them.

Godspeed

88 supra turbo 5spd
May 13, 2005
Asheville n.c.
i plan on doing this to mine when i get it back from the shop i will post pics and a write also to go with it. it will probably be in my build thread. nice write up though...

p5150

Mar 31, 2005
Central Idaho
Pics have been posted on the first page. I will include more as soon as I take the buffer to the car and get a high shine.