How to tell if my 7mgte is JDM?

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
Hi i was just wondering what i need to get from the motor to see if it's really a jdm engine. I was thinking i could get the engine code (where ever that might be). And just post a pic up here and see if u guy's can tell me about the car... THANKS

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
The TB linkage is different (right hand drive;)), and it only has one vacuum nipple on the top, where as USDM TB's have two.

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
MA70witBoost;1154533 said:
what about them?

TB only has 1 vac. port on the top.
T-stat housing doesn't have a port for the bvsv.
Throttle linkage is different.
Water pipes are routed a little different in the back of the motor.
No EGR.(will have block-off plates over the holes on the IM and back of the head unless someone installed egr)

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
ok so this is a usdm engine. Unless the installed a usdm upper end and used the usdm ecu that came with the car. Anyway has anyone ran their usdm without egr with stock setup? stock boost etc? thanks

bmoss85

Permanently Banned Scammer
Apr 14, 2007
clemmons, nc
chris89;1154639 said:
ok so this is a usdm engine. Unless the installed a usdm upper end and used the usdm ecu that came with the car. Anyway has anyone ran their usdm without egr with stock setup? stock boost etc? thanks

i had a local toyota dealership install a jdm engine in my car, all they used was the block and head. they swapped over the wiring harness, ecu and intake and exhaust manifolds.

if you're not running a standalone you need to keep the egr.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
And since the long blocks are the same, and there is no benifit to JDM, don't sweat it. As pointed out, you have right hand drive and EGR that is different.

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
But if the ecu is usdm then i'de still have to have the egr on it to work properly, right? the egr wasn't needed on the jdm spec ecu specificly, correct?

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
Correct. Usdm ecu doesn't need the egr to operate correctly, it just helps with detonation at lower rpms (under 4k) under load. I would recommend installing it.

I don't have an EGR system on my JDM engine but im hoping my using 93 octane gas will be enough to ward off detonation. Don't take my word for it though.