How to remove tps connector?

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
The connector on my tps is bad on the 7mgte, i was wondering how i could remove the connector from the harness and possibly repair it? Or would anyone know where i could buy a brand new connector, and how to R&R it?

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
yes. I'de like to know how to remove it. I'm gonna try to repair the pins inside the connector but i have to remove the connector to do that.

Nomad707

Im From The Bay
Mar 14, 2007
Santa Rosa, California
i made a new plug.. its a weatherproof plug from an auto parts store.. hasnt failed yet.. and is MUCH stronger then stock plug

misc4005iq9.jpg

Note that there is two wires on this plug that arent right.. i just took this before i fixed it.. this just gives an idea though

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
that looks good but could i get one that'll fit the 7mgte tps? i need to know how to remove the connector, remove the metal pins from the wires, reinstall them metal pins with a new connector...

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
Nomad707;1181142 said:
you will have to get a new one from toyota if they have it..

Would you happen to know how to remove the connector from the harness? I looked all thru the tsrm and found nothing on how to remove the connector. I went outside and took a look at the tps and the connector and couldn't findout how to remove the connector. I tried to pull the pins togther more to get a better contact and ended up getting code 51 rather than 41. So the tps connector and pins r screwed... I'de like to pull the connector and try to fix the pins and reinstall to the connector... It seems that when i plug the connector on it's easy to remove without removing the clip. Also it seems that the wires push back when install the connector to the tps creating a short or open connection with IDL and E2 (meaning 51). Before it was causing a open or short circuit in VTA and E2 (meaning code 41).

Nomad707

Im From The Bay
Mar 14, 2007
Santa Rosa, California
you have to have a special tool..
if you cut the wires and get rid of the connector on CPS side and harness side.. you can rewire it with the new autoparts store 4 wire plug.. (which will be alot cheaper and easier then stock plugs) all you have to do is press each wire into the specified port with a special tool (ask auto parts store employee) and they will direct you to the special tool..

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
Nomad707;1181158 said:
if you cut the wires and get rid of the connector on CPS side and harness side.. you can rewire it with the new autoparts store 4 wire plug.. (which will be alot cheaper and easier then stock plugs) all you have to do is press each wire into the specified port with a special tool (ask auto parts store employee) and they will direct you to the special tool..

ok cool thanks. would this 4 wire plug replace my tps connector? will it plug into the tps? Which store would u recommend? Autozone, or O'reilly?

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
Nomad707;1181158 said:

Hey i went to O'reilly and we looked thru the catalog and found nothing on a connector that would fit the tps.. it simply won't work... If you can convince me with atleast a part number or what i will be doing with this "Auto parts store 4 wire connector" then let me know.

Muzy

Oct 3, 2008
Alberta
Well Chris I'v read this a couple times... and well it is still not clear what you are asking
for. If you could take a pic. and post it. I thought nomads response was correct. I think
there may be a comunication glich as jetcock indicated with his post. muzy

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
That type of connector won't work as the TPS doesn't have wires coming off it, it's the male part of the connector in the first place. (LOL @ JJ)

Fine someone with an old harness and have them cut it off, or find the plug on another car in a junkyard (the connectors are made by an outside company, so check other japanese cars as well as Toyotas) and then if the pins are fine, depin the connectors and swap them. If the pins aren't good, cut and splice.

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
Poodles;1181898 said:
That type of connector won't work as the TPS doesn't have wires coming off it, it's the male part of the connector in the first place. (LOL @ JJ)

Fine someone with an old harness and have them cut it off, or find the plug on another car in a junkyard (the connectors are made by an outside company, so check other japanese cars as well as Toyotas) and then if the pins are fine, depin the connectors and swap them. If the pins aren't good, cut and splice.

How do u De-pin the connector? I was thinking of getting new pins and a new connector from Toyota. Would that be possible?

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Just so we can clear this up:

To the Original Poster - are you talking about the Throttle Position Sensor, or the Camshaft Position Sensor?

If the Throttle Position Sensor, then you will need to either a) remove the pins from the connector block, or b) cut the wires and install a new pigtail block

If the Camshaft Position Sensor, then you will need to use a 4 pin 'WeatherPack' connector, remove the four pins on either stock connector, and replace them with the 'WeatherPack' connector.

Jesus, this thread is full of fail. :3d_frown:

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
TPS (Throttle Position Sensor).... If you know of any other sensor with that abbreviation please let me know. There should have been no confusion as i clearly stated tps and i never mentioned cps...

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
Muzy;1181883 said:
Well Chris I'v read this a couple times... and well it is still not clear what you are asking
for. If you could take a pic. and post it. I thought nomads response was correct. I think
there may be a comunication glich as jetcock indicated with his post. muzy

I would like to know how to remove the TPS connector from the harness without cutting the wires so i can attempt to repair the pins and possibly reinstall the connector. I feel that i did clearly state my question several times through the post.