how to make your turbo spool sooner/quicker

TRDownShift

Sep 19, 2010
Austin, Texas, United States
So, wait... If I just buy a small spring i'll make more power and spool quicker? So then, whos going to tell me where to buy this spring and what size it needs to be? Oh, and how to install it... KthanxBye! :D

rodama5anthony

Sep 24, 2010
Bay Area, CA
7Matt-GE;1767919 said:
i would go the port and polishing...you push more air through the turbo that way. i guarantee you will see a lot of results from that.

were would port and polishing make the impact for spooling faster. TB? Intake manifold? exhaust manifold?

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
Buy a good book about turbocharging. You'll get lots of ideas on how to improve spool. Worth every penny IMHO.

92ma71

Jun 13, 2011
Fairbanks, AK
IMO, using your small rotary grinder eating up pieces of grind tools trying to port out your header real quick is definately NOT worth pulling all that stuff apart, spending hours doing it, and putting all stock crap back together and nothing is flow matched etc. For what kind of gain? Ive heard of losses (nothing documented that I know of for proof just what I heard) by doing to much grinding etc. Unless this stuff is already pulled apart and you have done extensive research on porting your header, I would not waste my time.

What are your mods so far?

rodama5anthony

Sep 24, 2010
Bay Area, CA
92ma71;1768269 said:
IMO, using your small rotary grinder eating up pieces of grind tools trying to port out your header real quick is definately NOT worth pulling all that stuff apart, spending hours doing it, and putting all stock crap back together and nothing is flow matched etc. For what kind of gain? Ive heard of losses (nothing documented that I know of for proof just what I heard) by doing to much grinding etc. Unless this stuff is already pulled apart and you have done extensive research on porting your header, I would not waste my time.

What are your mods so far?

going NA-T so everything is already apart. dm intercooler kit, and 3" divorce downpipe are the mods i have lined up so far in terms of engine performance

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Hi Anthony,
I would be very careful when modifying the head and exhaust manifold, to improve flow, and by extension, turbo spool.
When I had my 7M rebuilt, Bryan of M&B Cylinder Heads, was very careful not to remove the reversion dam on the exhaust ports of the head. Bryan only gasket matched the exhaust ports on the head, then cut the exhaust ports to remove enough material that returned better flow on the test bench.
Next, we went through two exhaust manifolds, cutting down one area then another, to test what would be the better mod on the flow bench, and that is to cut out only the bulges in the runners that are there to clearance the studs, mounting the heat shields, and polish both the exhaust ports in the head and the exhaust manifold. I then had the exhaust manifold ceramic coated to improve heat retention, coatings are all over the manifold and inside the runners, then baked in an industrial process, at Finish Line Coatings.
In the end, the CT 26 is now the only obstruction in the 7Ms exhaust.
HTH Van

Last edited:

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
rodama5anthony;1768346 said:
interesting. thanks for the info van, anymore advice you have to offer?
I needed all the help I could get, as my understanding of the engine's system is tiny at best. I relied upon the engine builder, one who builds performance and racing engines for the likes of Horsepower Freaks. Also, there is a small shop down the street called RSI, that was used to test the flow of the head and exhaust manifold.
The point is if you are like me, then you want to know that what is done to the engine will achieve your goals for it. HTH Van