How to make 400hp+ reliably 7mgte

Supra_Saiyan

Jun 5, 2012
Colorado
Alright everyone only serious answers on this one please I know this has been on other threads but I just want personal opinions on how to create a 400hp+ reliable 7mgte thanks :1zhelp:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
No matter the age, pull the engine and have the head and block decked and smoothed to the correct RA and install a metal head gasket. Use quality fasteners to reassemble. Ensure the cooling system is working correctly, and you can supply addequate fuel. After all of that, then get a T04E turbo of some sort.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Nick M;1855500 said:
No matter the age, pull the engine and have the head and block decked and smoothed to the correct RA and install a metal head gasket. Use quality fasteners to reassemble. Ensure the cooling system is working correctly, and you can supply addequate fuel. After all of that, then get a T04E turbo of some sort.

Don't forget all the supporting fuel/electronic changes you'll need to make. In short, you can't just throw on a turbo and call it a day.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
To add to what has been posted, a proper oiling system updating is a good idea. They can be great motors, if you're willing to spend the money to put them together properly. ;)

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
radiod;1855699 said:
Don't forget all the supporting fuel/electronic changes you'll need to make. In short, you can't just throw on a turbo and call it a day.

LOL!
Yes you can...You can call it ONE day...The next day, call a tow truck.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Supra_Saiyan;1855499 said:
Alright everyone only serious answers on this one please I know this has been on other threads but I just want personal opinions on how to create a 400hp+ reliable 7mgte thanks :1zhelp:
Build a 1000rwhp engine and run low boost = reliable.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
Just do what I'm in the process of doing..

I've got a 57 trim ct26 on wastegate pressure right now. Getting all of my exhaust together along with 3" downpipe with an AEM UEGO on it and a 3" catback. I've got the DM IC kit for the better IAT, bigger fuel pump(walbro 255), DM AFPR kit, a NEW radiator with all the splash shields and air dams in place to route the air properly. All new coolant hoses along with a brand new water pump and shimmed oil pump running 1+ quart over capacity. I'm currently saving for 550cc injectors, a AEM EMS v2 and a greddy profec b spec 2.

IJ like you said, you can build a engine but with a bad tune it'll only last a little longer but still break in the end. Hence why I'm going standalone with only a 57 trim.

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
Nick M;1856256 said:
Thanks for repeating my post. :)

Hah.....my skimming betrays me. Silly me, but on the flip side, it can't be said enough either :icon_razz. I just can't stand it when people are like, "Well, just add boost!" Second most annoying comment is when someone says to just do an engine swap and that will get you what you are looking for...ESPECIALLY when they haven't personally done (or paid for) an engine swap.

Like everyone else has already said though is if you want the reliability, you over build and then you don't push everything to it's limit. Trying to squeeze every last ounce of power out of what you have leaves you with little to no margin of error when it comes to the tune and operation.