How to install factory HU

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
www.houstonareasupras.com
Okay this is driving me nuts! I cannot figure out how to get my Toyota Double din to fit so it's not just sitting back there. I got some brackets now but I doubt they will work. What the hell do I need? Anyone got pics of the mounting brackets for double din HU? Thanks

Bluechulappa

Jun 16, 2007
hOUSTON
www.houstonareasupras.com
Okay I've got factory brackets coming should hopefully be here tomorrow. anyone know what would cause the radio to make noises while driving.
Ex. I'm in first and accel and the radio makes high pitch noises till I shift to 2nd. It's like the radio makes noises by which gear I'm in? Suggestions...

Jo3f1sh

Noob
Jul 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
If you're still running through the factory amplifier, that's what's making the noise through your speakers. Mine does the same thing. Very common with aftermarket head units. It's always recommended to do an "amplifier bypass" whenever you use an aftermarket head unit as they have their own amplifier. Car-Toys down here charges $65 dollars to do one. There's quite a bit of wiring involved. Mainly just the speaker leads. Best Buy, Circuit City, or any reputable stereo shop should be able to do one for you. If you'd like to attempt it yourself, it should be located under the passenger seat.

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
My Nakamichi head unit was doing the same thing...buy the Toyota brackets, and they should make it fit perfectly...

As for the whining sound, get a power filter from a car audio place...it completely fixed my problem.

Jo3f1sh

Noob
Jul 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
It depends. The factory HU in these cars more than likely doesn't contain an amplifier therefore it uses the separate one under the seat as part of the stereo system. If the one you have is a HU from another Toyota, it probably has an amplifier built into it already unless it was part of a premium sound system that had a separate amplifier. Running both of these amplifiers together is not very ideal. But either way, even if the HU you have doesn't have an amp in it already, the factory amplifier in the Supra is probably the reason you're hearing the noise. Even a few cheap aftermarket amplifiers still produce "engine noise" through the speakers. But like John said, power filters can eliminate or at least lessen this.

I was running a decent grade Alpine radio in mine but was still using the factory amplifier. I too, had the whining noise. I plan on swapping to an even better Alpine HU, bypassing the factory amplifier, and using a JL Audio 6 Channel amplifier to power the rest of the system. That should sound pretty good and cause no noise.

johnathan1

Supra =
Aug 19, 2005
Downey, California, United States
Bluechulappa said:
Where does the power filter go? I the power wire going into the amp? I have a toyota HU from a older 4runner and it has a external amp.

Yes, it attaches to the 12V wire...red or yellow I believe...my whining was coming from the head unit itself...(I have NO external amplifier) so I connected it to the head unit's power line. Totally got rid of my whining problem.

flubyux2

Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
Apr 2, 2005
st. pete, fl
www.myspace.com
the some of the factory head units ARE internally amp'd. only the one-piece Double DIN units require external amplification.

its not hard to "bypass" the external amplifier on the high end MK3 systems. the Amp sub harness plugs into the line-out connectors on the head unit. signal goes down this harness, into the amp, back out of the amp and plugs into the Standard toyota radio connectors which are part of the dash harness. remove the amp sub harness, and you can switch to any Internally amp'd Toyota head unit from 87+.