How to install aftermarket power antenna from Napa on car with 3-piece wing

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
(PART 1 OF 2)
My vehicle: 90 Toyota Supra turbo with original 3-piece wing

Tools ya need: Permatex RTV, narrow weatherstripping, vice-grips, Phillips screwdriver, set of metric box wrenches or sockets and about 2-3 hours of time.

Being a child of the 80's, I like the "old" stuff on our cars that act as a reminder of how much technology has changed. I decided to replace my OEM power antenna (that went up about 12" and stuck) with a new aftermarket power one Napa. I also hoped for better reception for my favorite FM station.

I have documented my struggles here for your entertainment, er, education.

First, I googled around to find an antenna from a local store in case the fit was wrong. I came across this one from Napa:
Napa antenna part.JPG

Price was right, but there wasn't any in stock locally. The saleslady assured me she could have it ready for pickup the next morning. So I ordered it and picked it up the next day.

You will have to take out most of the plastic trim around the sides of the trunk area on the passenger side.The wing has two screws that can be removed easily with a phillips when the hatch is open. Start there. The wing also has two studs that go through holes in the car and are secured below with wingnuts that must be removed from the inside. The wingnut for the hole closest to the car door was missing on my car, but it was still secured well. I opted to leave it off since the yellow plastic grommet was holding it very well. Here is a pic of what it looks like under that part of the wing after I cleaned it:
Spoiler cleaned up.jpg

Once you have the wing removed and plastic trim off, its time to remove the old antenna. There is a large round nut at the top of the antenna that must be screwed off. I had to use vice-grips to get it moving. The rest can be removed from the inside with a socket or box wrench easily.

Here's how the new one (on right) compares to the OEM model (on left). All the hardware and different plastic grommets came with the new antenna since it was a universal fit. The antenna cable connects near the top of the mast. Note that they are different. OEM uses a "motorola" connector. The new antenna comes with what I call a female coax connector. The new antenna does come with a 4' adapter cable that will adapt the coax to the motorola. The extra cable length is kind of a pain, so wrapped it up and put a zip tie on it. Do note what I failed to note - the mast on the OEM one is taller than the aftermarket unit. This is important!
Side-by-side.JPG

On the original wiring harness for powering the OEM antenna, google revealed I only need the blue with white, and red with white wires from the original harness to control the antenna. I cut those wires, put on the heat shrink, stripped and crimped them on the new wires, pulled the heat shrink back over the splice and heated it. The rest of the wires that were cut were secured with electrical tape. See picture below (black wire is ground going to screw head you see in pic):
Wiring new antenna.JPG

Once you have wired the power and connected the ground, I strongly suggest you have someone hold the antenna while you test it. In my case, the antenna went up when either the radio, CD or iPod was on.

(END OF PART 1)

Attachments

• Spoiler cleaned up.jpg
    Spoiler cleaned up.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 33

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
(PART 2 OF 2)

The new antenna came with a generic mounting bracket with lots of holes that you can easily bend into a 90 degree angle to mount the antenna. I used it to provide support for the new antenna since it was shorter than the OEM one. Here is a pic with antenna installed. (Note: I haven't plugged in the antenna cable yet, but the connections are on the carpet and match):
Ready to install.JPG

Here's what it looks like from above without a grommet. Note that its too short to clear my wing!:
tip of new antenna.JPG

The wing was another issue. Mine was filthy underneath. Here is a pic of the driver's side one before I cleaned it:
dirty.JPG

Yes, those are leaves underneath! And dirt! No surprise since the original weather strip on my wing was hard, cracked and missing in places. I peeled and scraped the rest of it off. I had some aftermarket weather stripping handy. I decided I needed to plan on water getting under there because the antenna mast was too short to clear the wing and the weatherstripping would be an imperfect seal against water. So here's how I installed the new weather stripping:
applying new weather strips.JPG

Everything I did on the passenger wing I did on the driver's side.

Back to the antenna.

I decided to use the OEM grommet. Mine was in good shape and was better quality than what came with the new antenna. Here's a picture of the antenna before I installed the wing:
ready for wing.JPG

I grabbed my Permatex RTV sealant. I put it around the antenna grommet and around all the wing holes that puncture the car's body. If you have a Supra, you need RTV. Sold at most auto stores.

So here's the finished product with the antenna down. The white you see inside the hole is the reflection of the camera flash on the white paint underneath. You really can't see the top of the mast from this angle. You can see a hint of the new weather seal. It stands out more than the original:
antenna in.JPG

Here's more pics with the antenna up:
antenna out closeup.JPGantenna up.JPG

So my antenna does not clear the wing when its down. So what? It pops up through the wing without an issue and works great. Yes, my favorite radio station comes in much clearer now!

My research revealed that there is a diversity antenna built into the rear hatch glass. This is not wired or powered by the mast. Its a separate wire that runs to your radio. I don't believe mine is hooked up at the radio, but you may want to google how to hook up the diversity antenna. Most people indicated it wasn't worth the trouble.

My antenna goes up whenever the radio unit is on, regardless if its radio, CD or iPod. You may not like that, but I do. I am a terrible channel surfer and I didn't want to wear and tear my antenna by my constant switching between the radio, CD and iPod. But there is a way to wire the mast to only come up the radio. That's for you to google.

Now, if I'm lucky, I will see some youngster pointing at the antenna as it whirs to life and say "Wow! Whats THAT do??"

Last edited:

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
Backlash2032;2022487 said:
How much did the power antenna run you? I don't even have an antenna... So I definitely need to do this!

That would be picture #1 ;)

They make a stubby, black antenna thats like 8" high, isn't powered, but plugs into the existing antenna cable and sits in the same spot at the original antenna. I got one years ago for one of my supras, which I believe was an NA. I don't remember having to fight with the wing. Cheap and the reception was good.

On this car, I am trying to preserve some of the original tech because you just don't see it much anymore.

Supra mn

Oct 10, 2012
Jacksonville/Nebraska
noel;2022508 said:
anyone have exp with this type? I seen a few supras with this style hopefully i have dig up the picture

I've heard a lot of bad things about those universal antennas, and since the supra already has a built in antenna in the back window, why put a second one there when you can just make the one in the window the primary?

http://www.amazon.com/Dynex-Antenna-Adapter-Cable-DX-A1122/dp/B001RENI2A
$3 GM antenna adapter cable connects in the back of the radio, the mast antenna no longer goes up or is used, and instead the rear window antenna is used. The reception isn't perfect, but it was hardly a noticeable difference from the mast antenna.
(NOTE: the cable in the link isn't who I bought from, so I'm not sure if that's the exact cable needed, but a little digging through the forums and you'll find it.)

If you like the look of the old school antenna and yours isn't working, then this is a great write up. Turned out great!

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
3p141592654;2022700 said:
In the olden days you could buy from Toyota the antenna rod and the plastic toothed "cable" with drum, which were the most common failures. Are those all discontinued now?

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291420/catalog.aspx?F=8604&P=1

They still have them, I got a quote on one from Toyota not long ago.
Part #86336-14350 List price $68 (Canadian)

I haven't bought it yet because I wasn't sure if it came with the drum. It would be a real pain if it didn't.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Supra mn;2022694 said:
I've heard a lot of bad things about those universal antennas, and since the supra already has a built in antenna in the back window, why put a second one there when you can just make the one in the window the primary?

http://www.amazon.com/Dynex-Antenna-Adapter-Cable-DX-A1122/dp/B001RENI2A
$3 GM antenna adapter cable connects in the back of the radio, the mast antenna no longer goes up or is used, and instead the rear window antenna is used. The reception isn't perfect, but it was hardly a noticeable difference from the mast antenna.
(NOTE: the cable in the link isn't who I bought from, so I'm not sure if that's the exact cable needed, but a little digging through the forums and you'll find it.)

If you like the look of the old school antenna and yours isn't working, then this is a great write up. Turned out great!

The early Supra's do not have that same type plug as the later ones, I believe it is a mini GM plug or something similar. I searched and searched for an adapter for the rear window antenna on my 87 that was built in December of 86 and I could not find one or I would be using only the rear window antenna as my aftermarket radio raises the antenna no matter what it is set to.

In the olden days you could buy from Toyota the antenna rod and the plastic toothed "cable" with drum, which were the most common failures. Are those all discontinued now?

Would this be what is causing mine to sometimes not always go all the way up? Sometimes it will fully extend, other times it will only go up a few inches or a foot, but it always fully retracts.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
3p141592654;2022729 said:
Yeah, probably the teeth are worn down. Easier to pull down than push up on the antenna. Does it make a clicking noise when the antenna stops moving upwards?

I'm not sure if the antenna makes a clicking noise or not, I haven't noticed one, but I also have not been listening for one. I'll try and see if I can get the antenna to stop partially up and see if I can hear a clicking noise. I know I can still hear the motor turning inside when it does stop before it is fully up.

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
Supra mn;2022694 said:

That is the diversity antenna in the rear hatch. I did a lot of reading on it, and I just didn't see any advantage to using it by itself. I did read where you could use it in conjunction with your regular mast and get an overall improvement. I would like to do that one day. From my experience with antennas, the right mast antenna beats a built-in one any day.

This was my first plan. One of those two parts has been discontinued, can't remember which. Plus the cost of both was over $100. You can't tell from the picture I posted, but my original antenna was rusted badly. So I'm very glad I didn't attempt to replace parts in it.

Silver MK3;2022726 said:
The early Supra's do not have that same type plug as the later ones, I believe it is a mini GM plug or something similar. I searched and searched for an adapter for the rear window antenna on my 87 that was built in December of 86 and I could not find one or I would be using only the rear window antenna as my aftermarket radio raises the antenna no matter what it is set to.

I believe those antenna cables are all some type of coax. If so, it would be easy to cut and crimp on a new plug. I used to pull and terminate coax, so I wouldn't hesitate to attempt something like that. But if you know a techie or someone that works for the phone/cable company, they might have the tools and the know-how to help you. I can't imagine the parts being over $10.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
I thought about trying to put a different connector on the end, but I don't really have the skills and wasn't brave enough to try it. Honestly if I can get my power antenna to function properly all the time I'll be happy with that. Today I tried to get it to stick and listen for a clicking sound, but it went all the way up every time...

How does one go about replacing that plastic cable and drum?

Bmettie

Apr 27, 2010
Florida
AbsoluteSpeed;2022711 said:
They still have them, I got a quote on one from Toyota not long ago.
Part #86336-14350 List price $68 (Canadian)

I haven't bought it yet because I wasn't sure if it came with the drum. It would be a real pain if it didn't.

They do, I'm pretty sure you'll want 86327-22211 though ~$20 USD. 86336-14350 is the mast.

Silver MK3;2022726 said:
Would this be what is causing mine to sometimes not always go all the way up? Sometimes it will fully extend, other times it will only go up a few inches or a foot, but it always fully retracts.

Theres a little clutch in the hub so if the mast gets jammed then the hub will still rotate until it hits its deployed switch

3p141592654;2022729 said:
Yeah, probably the teeth are worn down. Easier to pull down than push up on the antenna. Does it make a clicking noise when the antenna stops moving upwards?

No teeth on an OEM cable its pure tension and compression on a tight wound hub, hugged by the drum. IMO thats why they break.

Silver MK3;2022844 said:
I thought about trying to put a different connector on the end, but I don't really have the skills and wasn't brave enough to try it. Honestly if I can get my power antenna to function properly all the time I'll be happy with that. Today I tried to get it to stick and listen for a clicking sound, but it went all the way up every time...

How does one go about replacing that plastic cable and drum?

It actually can be done with the antenna still in the car. Its a PITA but I did mine that way so that's how i know, I have had many out and apart so I'm familiar with the part. Basically you'll need to remove the mast nut then extend the antenna all the way up(weather you drive it there or pull it up). Its important to make sure the antenna is at its deployed position, so if you antenna was jammed make sure to run it until it thinks its deployed. The mast will come out completely so be there to catch it, it'll still be connected to the cable. Unscrew the cable from the mast. Then pull the cover/switch off the housing, there are shims around the center stud on the inside so be careful not to loose them. Remove drum from the hub and install new drum, then slide the new cable up antenna all the way, re-install the cover/switch. Re-attach to mast, now retract the antenna and make sure the mast goes back in the hole. Put the nut back on and done. Last one took me ~20 min.

OP- Btw theres not supposed to be wing nuts holding the wing tips down, just the two screws in the back and two snaps(lack of a better term)
http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/EPC/291420/catalog.aspx?F=7601&P=1

Last edited:

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Bmettie;2022846 said:
They do, I'm pretty sure you'll want 86327-22211 though ~$20 USD

Theres a little clutch in the hub so if the mast gets jammed then the hub will still rotate until it hits its deployed switch

No teeth on an OEM cable its pure tension and compression on a tight wound hub, hugged by the drum. IMO thats why they break.

It actually can be done with the antenna still in the car. Its a PITA but I did mine that way so that's how i know, I have had many out and apart so I'm familiar with the part. Basically you'll need to remove the mast nut then extend the antenna all the way up(weather you drive it there or pull it up). Its important to make sure the antenna is at its deployed position, so if you antenna was jammed make sure to run it until it thinks its deployed. The mast will come out completely so be there to catch it, it'll still be connected to the cable. Unscrew the cable from the mast. Then pull the cover/switch off the housing, there are shims around the center stud on the inside so be careful not to loose them. Remove drum from the hub and install new drum, then slide the new cable up antenna all the way, re-install the cover/switch. Re-attach to mast, now retract the antenna and make sure the mast goes back in the hole. Put the nut back on and done. Last one took me ~20 min.

OP- Btw theres not supposed to be wing nuts holding the wing tips down, just the two screws in the back and two snaps(lack of a better term)

Thanks for the info!

When you did the replacement in the car did you leave the plastic panels in the back in or did you take them out? I'm not sure yet if I want to try this in the car or not, but I am glad that I now know what needs to be replaced and that it is a cheap fix.

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
Bmettie;2022846 said:
They do, I'm pretty sure you'll want 86327-22211 though ~$20 USD. 86336-14350 is the mast.

I disagree. I have three of the four wing nuts and they certainly look original. The stud that is attached to the tips is threaded for a reason. I think they neglected to show it in the drawing.

Regardless, beware if you take it apart. Those wing tips are very easy to break!!