How to beat speeding ticket in VA school zone?

kamikazemkiii

Mar 21, 2009
North Carolina
I really need some help guys, I know some of you guys are officers yourself and although you probably cant tell me how to escape, Id appreciate id if you could share info to help me out.

After just leaving the Dinwiddle county courthouse in Dinwiddle, VA for paying a speeding ticket I had received on in late dec, 2010 I somehow managed to get another speeding ticket almost immediately after leaving (I am by no means a reckless or excessive speed driver). The posted speed limit was 55mph I was only doing 44mph (gps verified) due to wanting to lay low as possible and give absolutely no reason to be stopped. I did not notice I was approaching a school zone due to paying close attention to obviously parked deputy sheriff on the right hand side of the road just a few hundred meters in front of me. I saw the sheriff and made sure that I was not speeding (according to gps) he was on the phone as I passed and I continued then, a couple hundred feet after passing him I was him pulling out, I thought theirs no reason for me to get pulled, Well guess who he got. Yep, he pulled me over 44 in a 25, 25? really?! it was 10:34 aren't the school zones only active during the hour of start and release of the school?? He came up to my window, I already had license and registration ready I proceeded to ask why was I stopped he said speeding 44 in a 25.. I was speechless. I told him I just left the courthouse literally 5 mins(if that) previously and if he could cut me any slack, He took a few mins so I knew what I was about to receive. He came back with the colorful paper and told me to sign, I thought this was bullshit and even showed him the $140 ticket I had just paid a few mins previously. He could careless, I signed and was on my way furious, but on my way. Ive looked up speeding tickets in school zone and how they work, I'm still kind of confused.

I believe this is some grade A bullshit, I made sure to be aware of speed limit changes and I never saw a sign saying I was approaching a school zone or I would have went the intended speed limit. If anyone has any advice/or suggestions that could benefit me please let me know, I cannot afford to have another charge on my license. Please keep this thread on topic and only make HELPFUL comments.

Thanks, Marcus

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Go back to double check if there is a school zone sign, or a speed limit change sign on that street you were traveling on. If there is then there's nothing you can do about it. If there isn't then you might have a chance at arguing your point to the judge. You have to take some kind of evidence that there wasn't one though. Pics or vid.

I remember I got an officer tried giving me a ticket a couple of years ago in a school zone. I was doing 40 in a 20 he said. Only problem was that the school zone sign was not working. It was the kind that had flashing amber lights on it and read "school zone 20mph when flashing". Only problem was my side of that sign wasn't flashing. I tried telling him that but he ignored me and handed me a ticket to sign. I absolutely refused to sign that ticket and requested his supervisor to come out so I can speak with him. I was going to show his supervisor that sign wasn't working. He gave me a good long stare down, took the ticket back, told me to slow it down and let me go. He knew that sign wasn't working, yet he was handing out tickets to people.

BTW, our school zones are between 7-9AM and 2-4PM. Not all day.

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
Check the signs around the school. like superpowers said. Like when lights are flashing, when kids are present, or times. Only chance.

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Good luck. VA is a bit nuts on traffic rules, I'm sure you'll have your work cut out for ya to fight this one.

Around here, school zones are a posted 20mph limit, from 7 or 8am (depending on school) all the way through anywhere from 3-430pm, all day, M-F. In AZ where I lived, they had roll-out signs around the schools, they weren't permanent fixtures (was nice and obvious if it was a school zone. Also had 'no-passing' rules in school zones down there.

Little tip for ya, try not to rely on the GPS so much, the judge won't really cut much slack for relying on technology. ;)

kamikazemkiii

Mar 21, 2009
North Carolina
Well I actually called the school that I was caught close to, they said the posted speed is 25 the whole instructional day. I Don't know if the school light was blinking or not? maybe I can use my prayer of judgement, or somehow make a correlation that the light was not blinking and the speeding situation?

Maybe some VA members can hop in on this

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
kamikazemkiii;1683352 said:
Well I actually called the school that I was caught close to, they said the posted speed is 25 the whole instructional day. I Don't know if the school light was blinking or not? maybe I can use my prayer of judgement, or somehow make a correlation that the light was not blinking and the speeding situation?

Maybe some VA members can hop in on this

Do you remember where you where pulled over at? Was it even in the school zone?

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
Hire a lawyer, they're way more likely to get you out of this than anything you're going to do at this point with the previous ticket taken into account.

lewis15498

Don't blame ebay cheapass
Sep 28, 2008
Raynham, Massachusetts, United States
The prior ticket hurts your case, not helps it. If he thinks you're speeding and you just paid a speeding ticket, as far as he's concerned you haven't learned your lesson. If the road signs support your argument, document them (take pictures). Appeal the ticket, dress nicely, and go explain why you were not breaking the law in an objective manner in proper English. Use your photographs to back up your argument. Try to avoid adding extraneous information, such as how you we're paying a ticket prior to being pulled over. I'd say thats your best bet. Lawyer may be able to help you, however your going to have to pay the lawyer regardless of the outcome of your appeal.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
One word...

Lawyer

I have zero tickets on my record because of lawyers. Sure, you may pay a bit, but the cost of not having it on your record is worth it.

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
^ I regret not getting one every time i pay for insurance. I was well prepared and it still came down to his word over mine.

kamikazemkiii

Mar 21, 2009
North Carolina
Thanks guys, I found a old cluster out of my hatch that didn't work correctly the speedometer is clearly off by 30-35 mph or so. Do you think its possible to get a shop to write a note stating it was a equipment failure, bring the cluster to court when I go and possibly get it dismissed?

Thanks

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
kamikazemkiii;1685054 said:
Thanks guys, I found a old cluster out of my hatch that didn't work correctly the speedometer is clearly off by 30-35 mph or so. Do you think its possible to get a shop to write a note stating it was a equipment failure, bring the cluster to court when I go and possibly get it dismissed?

Thanks

Yep. Make sure it is a reputable shop and a certified Toyota mechanic signing it.

Still get a lawyer!

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
Don't think it will matter. You are responsible for your car when you get in and decide to drive. I know that's how it works when you have a cdl.
kamikazemkiii;1685054 said:

Thanks