How to adjust tems struts without tems?

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
Hi i just put on some tems struts on my non tems 89 turbo supra and i wanted to know how to properly tighten them? they're real loose and bouncy. I wonder if i use a rachet to tighten down the bolt on top of the strut or theres a little thing in the middle of the strut. Please help.

p1160213_1.jpg

p1160213_2.jpg

p1160213_3.jpg

thanks

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
I installed them correctly. I did adjust anything with the spring tension bolt.. Is that what it's called? So how would i go about making them harder? or are they just worn out a bit? My friends 04' ION has harder suspension... it doesn't bounce as much when u press down on the hood or trunk several times...

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Your SHOCKS, aren't struts.

The factory repair manual has the intallation instruction. Turn it to full if you are going to do what you are doing.

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
You did tighten them to there hardest setting or? You know what way to tighten them correct? You know the tems system is there you nee the actuators and controller... If you need a set, I will give them to you for 40.00 + shipping.

chris89

May 31, 2005
Columbia, MO
92TealSupra;1160266 said:
You did tighten them to there hardest setting or? You know what way to tighten them correct? You know the tems system is there you nee the actuators and controller... If you need a set, I will give them to you for 40.00 + shipping.

well originally my wanted ad was for non tems but Tubbie said that the tems struts on a non tems car is actually better since they can be adjusted from the top with pliers. Is this correct? So i got a good deal, and i took it. I just installed them as-is after a brief look over. I don't know what u mean by tighten them to the hardest setting? also i don't know how to tighten them correctly.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Yes you can adjust them that way. Look on the top of them there is a little tab you can grab and turn with a needle nose pliers. But as for what way to turn or how much I have no idea. As for Tubbie, don't get me going on him ;)

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
chris89;1160275 said:
well originally my wanted ad was for non tems but Tubbie said that the tems struts on a non tems car is actually better since they can be adjusted from the top with pliers. Is this correct? So i got a good deal, and i took it. I just installed them as-is after a brief look over. I don't know what u mean by tighten them to the hardest setting? also i don't know how to tighten them correctly.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=FA&P=37