How soon would I make use of a new intercooler

StefanLarsson

Viking
Jun 26, 2006
Sweden
How soon do you guys think that I would make use of a new bigger intercooler + hardpipes.

My current upgrades are:
Open airfilter.
Boch BOV
Single race cat.
Aftermarket exhuast
Apexi AVC-R
Retorqued head and stock gasket.

Should I get one next or should I save it for later?

Regards
Stefan, Sweden

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
i put a giagantic IC and hardpipes even though i had no boost controller, stock turbo, stock injectors, etc.... just intake and exhaust.

now it didn't really help much but it was something i wanted to do regardless because i planned on going bigger sooner or later. so if its in your bigger picture, sure go ahead and get it.

the way i see it, no sense in getting a BOV if you're not going to put hardpipes, and no sense in getting hardpipes if you don't upgrade your IC. so might as well do it all in one shot.

my only regret was not to get a FFIM first, so i may end up doing the cold-side of my hardpipes later on.

BoostnLoose

Feb 13, 2006
Canada
never herts to upgrade :)

p290777_1.jpg

whenmunkysfly

scratch that...going 2jz
Jun 26, 2006
United States
in the latest issue of grassroots motorsports it puts intercooler and piping 3rd on the list right after making it run right and then exhaust and intake. so i'd say if you got the engine flowing right then intercooler is first thing on the list i know its first on mine lol

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
StefanLarsson said:
How soon do you guys think that I would make use of a new bigger intercooler + hardpipes.

My current upgrades are:
Open airfilter.
Boch BOV
Single race cat.
Aftermarket exhuast
Apexi AVC-R
Retorqued head and stock gasket.

Should I get one next or should I save it for later?

Regards
Stefan, Sweden

Stefan, what all does your aftermarket exhaust include. First mod in my book is a 3" downpipe followed by a 3" catback. Also, how much boost are you running? If you already have the full 3" and are running 12 PSI, I'd suggest intercooler hard pipes and see where that leaves you.

StefanLarsson

Viking
Jun 26, 2006
Sweden
Im running about 10 psi and my downpipe and exhaust are 3".
I think I'll go for the intercooler as soon as I can find someone to bend som pipes for me...

97TSiAWD

In need of more traction
Jul 18, 2006
Michigan
Personally, I would make the next step going with a boost gauge and boost controller, and, if you want to play it safe, a wideband O2 to increase the boost. The upgraded intercooler won't hurt at this stage, but I think there are a few more mods you can do beforehand to get more power per dollar spent.

This is from experience in modding a DSM and from what I've read on Supra boards; it's also the route I plan to take. The difference with a 2G DSM was that the turbo upgrade usually came early on due to the minimal capabilities of the stock T-25.

StefanLarsson

Viking
Jun 26, 2006
Sweden
97TSiAWD said:
Personally, I would make the next step going with a boost gauge and boost controller, and, if you want to play it safe, a wideband O2 to increase the boost. The upgraded intercooler won't hurt at this stage, but I think there are a few more mods you can do beforehand to get more power per dollar spent.

This is from experience in modding a DSM and from what I've read on Supra boards; it's also the route I plan to take. The difference with a 2G DSM was that the turbo upgrade usually came early on due to the minimal capabilities of the stock T-25.

I have a boostcontroller and gauage since I have the Apexi AVC-R installed.
I also have a voltmeter in the cabin connected to the oxygen sensor to monitor A/F ratio, but a wideband one is high on the wishlist...

97TSiAWD

In need of more traction
Jul 18, 2006
Michigan
StefanLarsson said:
I also have a voltmeter in the cabin connected to the oxygen sensor to monitor A/F ratio, but a wideband one is high on the wishlist...
My mistake, I misread it as an SAFC (actually I saw Apex'i and assumed an SAFC without reading further :icon_redf). Anyway, I guess that makes your next upgrade options fewer; mainly a choice between upgraded intercooler and piping vs. more fuel and tuning or upgrading the suspension. I don't have any experience with the limits or efficiency of the stock intercooler, but from what I've read and seen, it doesn't seem to need an upgrade until you are further along. Again going by my own plans, I would do an intercooler upgrade when I do a turbo upgrade.

Upgrading the IC now isn't going to hurt, but depending on your turbo choice and any setup changes (getting a FF intake manifold, for instance), you may have to change your IC pipe routing and/or the end tanks of the intercooler. On the other hand, if I were to get metal IC piping, I would do it with an upgraded intercooler so I wouldn't have to redo steps later on in the modding process.

I'm a newb with Supras so take my advice for what it is: a generalized look at modding steps. The final goal is really all the same: more air, more fuel, more power. Hopefully we don't break stuff along the way. :)

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
MK3Brent said:
I got a bigger intercooler when I got a bigger turbo.

thast what i did caus ei need more importain stuff like clutch fule ect

pvc is great cause of this you can make it at home and when you are done wiht them and such bring the pipes to muffler shop tell them to make a set

i great when you have mock up set to coppy

as for ic the stock one will nto hurt you tell you shoot big boost it's the pipes that really suck

robbo185

Apr 6, 2005
Chicago
StefanLarsson said:
id definitly buy a wideband before intercooler because you can make more power with other mods such as a injectors, maft/afc...and it allows you to make sure your running right
Unless yours is trashed or something