How rare are 89-92 Supra Turbo Hardtop 5 speeds?

walkertx2008

Vivian is a bad Bitch
Oct 1, 2008
Robins Air Force Base, GA
I got my 1988 supra turbo, targa, 5 speed on ebay for $3900, that was a year and a half ago and i have put over $7000 into her fixing things a adding stuff cause i got ripped by the idiot before me, but now she is beautiful and runs like a dream.... so yea $4800 sounds like a good starting price to me.

p1156175_1.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
Pretty much any 89+ turbo 5spd is rare. As for it being hardtop I'd say its more desireable for racing purposes because its stiff.Targas are more fun;I have an 89 turbo targa 5spd with ABS. They are kinda on the hard side to find, but I like the 89 and 90 only beacause the engine redlines at 6500rpm instead of 6250 like the 91 and 92. I'd say keep it and I think thats a fair price.

Vector89T

stickerdave.com
Aug 21, 2005
Lafayette, LA
Not sure if it's a geographic thing, but down here (Greater New Orleans Area) most of the turbo cars we find are targa or sunroofs. Many of them are *fully* loaded with all the options (auto, leather, TEMS, ABS, etc... the works). Haven't run across too many turbo hard tops, I believe there's 1 or 2 in our group, but as far as the several that have passed through the hands of our members, hard tops of any variety seem rare down here. My 90T was born in West Palm Beach, FL and started its life as a Turbo, Targa, Auto, w/Leather but NO ABS or TEMS.

As I said to, geographic location may play into it. Southern weather may promote sunroof and targa sales.

Too bad we don't have a nice breakdown of production numbers like the MKIV folks do. (Yes, I know there are discrepancies in that list, but it's something.)

EdT.Mk3

Sorta Secret Supra
Aug 21, 2008
San Diego
Picked up my '88 HT for $800. Too bad it had a BHG. Also got detonated by the previous owner. The list is pretty long, the bads were pretty strong... :nono:

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
Picked up my '92 Teal Supra Turbo 5-speed Sunroof Loaded for about 1200.00, I trade a '87 supra for it and sold parts to get it down to about 1200.00 for this car, I bought my '87 for 2300.00 modded...

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
Hard tops are pretty rare. Nice MkIII's are even rarer.

I think a lot of the MkIII owners here on Supramania are under the impression that most MkIII's look like ours (the owners of clean examples). Not true my friends, the really/mostly straight cars are the vast minority from what I have observed.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
suprabad;1156481 said:
Hard tops are pretty rare. Nice MkIII's are even rarer.

I think a lot of the MkIII owners here on Supramania are under the impression that most MkIII's look like ours (the owners of clean examples). Not true my friends, the really/mostly straight cars are the vast minority from what I have observed.

I think that most are uh, not straight. Nice way of putting it. Not to say they all look like Lamarossa.

It seesms like most are auto and targa. But that doesn't make it so.

Last edited:

skipbarber

2008 Grassroots Challenge
Mar 26, 2008
Rockville-ish, Maryland
i know of a mint silver 90 hardtop 5 speed in my area for 1K. It has a spark issue that sounds easy to resolve, but other than that it's sharp. that being said, it's the only hardtop in my area ive seen. LOL.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I'm pretty sure it's a geographic thing. Up here, there are always more hardtops at the meets than targas, by a significant amount. Keep in mind it rains more often than not around here, so targas are at a bit of a disadvantage.

cruisnhard

SM Member
Sep 27, 2007
Waupun, Wisconsin
I think there are more targas he in Md. I am not sure, but maybe it is more targas in better condition. I paid 400 for my 90 ht 5 speed. The engine was not in it, but it came with it.

arizzle

Lov'in the boost.
Nov 1, 2006
burnaby, BC
i had a 87 supra HT gutted out w/ a 5spd conversion when i was looking all i can find are Targas locally, picked up that one for 2300, so at that price thats good.

and then i found mine 92 teal HT sunroof picked it up for 3000 with a BHG, the hardtops fun on the hard cornering. then the targa.

SUPRASTEVE

Supra Maniak
Jun 13, 2007
So Cal
Here in So.cal there really aren't many supra period atleast not driveing around lol, but for sale, not so much.

In the junkyards there are alot of both targa and hardtop, but they are all pre 89 and mostly automatic non turbo.