"How much supra can you put into a truck?" build

suprahilux

ULTRA Lurker
Jun 12, 2007
conroe, texas
Here is the current engine bay. The harness is not compete or wrapped. There are still a lot of things that need to be finished, but for now the goal is to make sure I am on the right track and work out any bugs.

attachment.php

Last time I drove it, the wastgate hose sprung a leak and it overboosted to 30 psi (only tuned to 15). And the first thing, an unexpected weak link, broke rendering it undriveable.

suprahilux

ULTRA Lurker
Jun 12, 2007
conroe, texas
No, good guess but I would hope probe pistons would hold up to more than that. Luckily the engine held up just fine even though the tune was not set up for that much power. It survived 2 hard pulls at 30 psi before I realized something was wrong.

It is actually something kind of funny.

The rear subframe ripped out from under the truck. It was the bushings that tore apart. Everything else held up just fine. I'm in the process of making solid mounts.

suprahilux

ULTRA Lurker
Jun 12, 2007
conroe, texas
Yep, been busy with family life but it is always waiting for me when I get some time. Been real slow progress. I'm going to try and get some good video once I get that subframe bolted back up. I'm sure you guys would like to see that.

suprahilux

ULTRA Lurker
Jun 12, 2007
conroe, texas
I don't think it will be ready for that. It runs but it's far from being presentable. I would like to dyno it to see how much power it's putting down. I wonder if it could go as a supra. There is more supra in this truck than truck.

suprahilux

ULTRA Lurker
Jun 12, 2007
conroe, texas
It IS really fun. But wanting one is completely different than wanting to spend 7 years of struggling to balance the project and everything else that life brings to enjoy a few minutes of driving your creation every other week. I have countless hours invested in this truck spanned over several years. It wouldn't have taken so long if my life could have stayed still and let me concentrate on the truck. But now I'm just rambling. But I'm glad some of you are impressed.

I'll post some more progress pics, but first I'll share a video from when I drove it I think for the second time. It had a really rough tune, stock cams, no dash, no cluster, fenders or hood. The setup probably had less than 10 miles and the tune was so rough that I had it on safety mode keeping the AFRs at 10:1. I really didn't want to blow something up. It wasn't until later that I leaned it out. So, here it is:

http://youtu.be/lLTi9hLBBKg

suprahilux

ULTRA Lurker
Jun 12, 2007
conroe, texas
Pulled exhaust off to turn the wastegate flange and plumb the outlet to the downpipe.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Pulled the intake to rebuild the manifold with a thicker flange to resolve a vacuum leak issue.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have also wrapped the exhaust and installed a turbo blanket. No pics of that though. Engine now idles great and is relatively quiet under full power. You can now hear both the turbo and the supercharger really well. It doesn't sound as aggressive but much more tame like nothing is going to break. Turbo spools quicker, I'm sure due to the intake work. It's fully spooled at 2500 rpm. Throttle response is insane. It almost makes the truck impossible to cruise. Soon I'm going to turn my attention from the engine for a while and wrap up some appearance issues like the tail lights and tailgate and grille. Also interior.