How much should I sell my 88 for?

Bullz_EyE

ToP DeaD CenTeR
Jan 26, 2006
San Diego, CA
I'm planning to sell my MKIII but don't know how much I should put it up for. I've already mocked up an ad, can you guys review it and let me know what you think?

Up for grabs is my 88 Supra Turbo Targa. She's not running right now, but in the right hands can be up in no time. She suffers from a blown headgasket. I originaly bought the car unknowingly with a blown headgasket, and I sealed the deal after it was too late. I bought the car after test driving it once, at night, and was excited at the prospect of owning a "nice" rear-wheel drive turbo project car.

I am a resonably skilled mechanic so I decided to do a fixer-upper and change the gasket myself and bought a lot of new stuff, as well as some performace parts. The problem is I bought a refurbished head from a private seller on eBay. Something I shouldnt've done because it's what caused the headgasket to blow the second time around. I know this because I personally replaced the headgasket twice. The 1st time with an HKS metal headgasket, but it still leaked coolant. The 2nd time with a composite, which should've fixed the leak, but didn't because the head was not rebuilt right. Get the head rebuilt by a professional shop.

Besides the main problem she also has some minor cosmetic damage, the drivers seat does not adjust, the hood and hatch shocks need replacing, and the factory bypass (blow-off) valve needs to be replaced, as well as the combination switch for the headlights. Overall she's in pretty good shape.

Now for the good stuff , what your getting with this car:

85,xxx Original Miles
New Billet Aluminum Oil Cap
New Silicone Intake Coupler with Stainless T-Bolt Clamps
New NGK Iridium Spark Plugs (JDM)
New NGK Spark Plug Wires (JDM)
New ARP High Performance Head Bolts (industry leader for engine fastners)
New HKS Head Gasket, (Installed for about 30 miles, but reuseable)
New Top End Gaskets (fuel lines, injectors, CPS, intake, exhaust, etc.)
New Genuine Toyota Fuel Filter
Lots of new Genuine Toyota preformed hoses
New Genuine Toyota Thermostat
New Koyo OEM Radiator (JDM)
New Accessory Belts
New Timing Belt
New 3" Stainless Steel Turbo Elbow, Ceramic Coated
Ceramic Coated Exhaust Manifold
Ceramic Coated Heat Shields
Ceramic Coated Turbo Water Lines
HKS Down Pipe
Spare Head, (it's the original that needs to be refreshed)
Good tires with about 90% +/- tread

The engine bay is very clean, something I stress, when I own a vehicle. I had sent those certain parts listed to get ceramic coated and did not buy them like that. The ceramic coating made a dramatic difference in underhood temps. The turbo is in great shape too, and spools well, even with the bypass valve stuck open. The intercooler and turbo piping was also replaced with used hoses that are in excellent shape from a 92 Supra. She also does not throw any codes, meaning there are no sensors to replace. If she fires again (gets fixed) and throws a code, whoever worked on it has done something wrong! I put my word on that as a person with integrity, and as a former Marine.

This car is draining me financially. I would love to keep it but must part with it. I vow to own another MKIII again someday. Pictures available upon request.

p191947_1.jpg

p191947_2.jpg

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
To be honest with you, I personally would not buy a non-running or poorly-running supra for more than $1000, I know you've put a lot of sweat and money into it, but at the same time someone else will have to tear it all apart and pour much more money into it as well.

If I were in your shoes I'd keep it for a few years until you're in a better position to fix it up. Buy a part or two every couple months as you can afford it then when you have everything work on it again.

You could always part it out as well. $50 here, $20 there, it adds up quickly. I'd be interested in your exhaust manifold. Or sell it for a huge loss now, its up to you. Personally I'd just throw a cover over it and store it for a few years. Good luck and I hope it works out.

born2drv

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
Burbank, CA
You don't need a house to store it.... I stored mine in an underground parking garage for 6 years before taking it out to restore it.

My parents had a condo with 2 parking spots and they let me keep it there the whole time, but other people in the condo unit only used 1 of their 2 spots and rented them out for $25/month, easy money for them. Or find a local mom-n-pop business near where you liver that would let you keep your car in their parking lot for a small fee, or a neighbor that has extra garage space...

i guess it really depends how bad you want to keep it and how much money you're willing to lose.

SupraDreamPDR

Boost-a-holic!!
Feb 3, 2006
Springfield, OH.
find a place to store it, put your Project Supra on hold for awhile and dont sell it. you have already done alot to it and you will not get much for a non running car.

clifftrail

Jun 19, 2005
Abq
All these guys are right on. Your car is basically stock and it's not running to boot. If you got 1K for it you'd be lucky. GL anyway.

s383mmber1

Oct 31, 2005
Somers New York
You could "possibly" break even if you sold it, but i say youve got a better chance parting it out.

i would buy it for 1200 right now if it was at my door.

honestly, were are you located?

Mr.PFloyd

I am the Super Devil
Jun 22, 2005
Mississauga, Ontario
Bullz_EyE said:
I wouldn't dare sell it for that low, too much of a loss. The sum of the new parts is worth well more than that, what an insult.
its may be an insult, but its the truth. Chassis are a dime a dozen now a days.