How much power can drivetrain hold ? Comp stage 4 ?

peer648

Mar 4, 2010
Québec
87 Mk3 Supra, built 7mgte

I went on Dyno last october. Made 340 lbs torque at 4500 rpm. Above that, clutch slips...(spec stage 3...) Motor is strong, has everything it needs.

This winter I'm making sure this won't happen again. Dyno guy offer me Competion clutch Stage 4. First question, what do you think about that clutch !?

I'll ask them to refresh/built my r154, with driftmotion kit, so clutch and tranny should be pretty strong to.

Second question, I still have my stock driveshaft, will it hold a good amount of power ? I'm planning on drag racing, won't go full slicks but semi-slicks there's a good possibility. Street tires for now. Do I abselutly need a 1 piece steel driveshaft or upgraded 2 pieces ?

Stock diff now ! will semi-slicks be to much for it. I defenetly won't beat the shit out of my car, but I'm gonna be ''demanding'' if I can say.

Thanks already

KKZ SupraMan

Jun 2, 2013
ohio
I will sell you a competition stage 100,000,000 clutch and pressure plate if you want i cant stand ppl who sell stage anything what is a stage exactly there is no guide line to this method what you need is an actual name brand and its specs then match to your goal

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If you check on the manufactures website it usually states the torque rating at which it can handle.

and generally most stage 3+ are of some sort of a puck disc. If your shooting for anything over 5-600 just get a twin or triple disc.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I went through four six puck clutches that was suppose to handle 750 ft pounds of torque. I was only making about 600. With the help of ET streets and sticky asphalt, they were soon destroyed. I ended up going with a spec twin disc and it's been great so far.

As for the other parts, I've broken an upgraded two piece drive shaft. I broke the welds. I've broke the front part of the rearend where the drive shaft attaches. I've welded two clutches to an aluminum flywheel. I've never hurt my r154 after about a hundred track passes, but I have bent and broke a lot of other things.

supranewbie

Mar 23, 2011
46°47.0'N 120°09.0'W
hvyman;2037915 said:
If you check on the manufactures website it usually states the torque rating at which it can handle.

and generally most stage 3+ are of some sort of a puck disc. If your shooting for anything over 5-600 just get a twin or triple disc.
What he said. But the Competition Clutch Stage 4 kit should hold up just fine to 340 lb-ft of torque.

peer648

Mar 4, 2010
Québec
Ain't got no trust anymore into those ''it will hold 600 lb-ft of torque''. Clutch I have is rated at 500 lb-ft, and it slips at 340 lb-ft. ThatS why I ask you folks if the comp stage 4 is ok, cause even tho it says it will hold 550 lb-ft. It may not. From my personal experience I can totally say to you, don't buy a spec stage 3, won't hold over about 350 lb-ft torque. I'll probably go twin disc, seems like the only thing that will hold. Thanks for answering, clutch question CLOSED.

Now how about stock diff and semi-slicks !? If anyone can answer.

Suprahero : you said you've broken an upgraded two piece drive shaft. What are you using now ? and do you think one piece is better than upgraded 2 pieces or the other way ?

KKZ SupraMan

Jun 2, 2013
ohio
Is that stage 3 ebay clutch and pressure plate or just clutch and like i said i will sell you a stage 100,000,000 kit not trying to be an ass here but in the real performance world this talk do not exist. Places that sell in stage is just a marketing thing or when buying multiple things in one package so in other words what i am trying to tell you is that not stages are created equal just makes it simple for uneducated customer. Look at all specs and buy all proper parts to achieve thoes specs in other words di t just buy a clutch buy pressure plate and clutch and have flywheel checked and resurfaced if needed and inspect all other parts for damage after all that its done right and will hold very well with no problems and headache free on to the next.now the clutch question is closed lol

KKZ SupraMan

Jun 2, 2013
ohio
Drive shaft there are pros and cons to both with one piece the u joints are at a grater angle but less joints with 2 piece drive shaft gives a smother ride less angle on joints but more joints i am particularly fond of the one piece driveshaft just my opinion

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
heres my advise from my experience. if you plan on staying under 450whp/450wtq the driftmotion 6 puck will do. ive had one in my car for years now and it holds fine at low 400's. when i did have issues with it slipping was at drags running race gas and 20psi. the heat from brake standing to heat up drag radials, then the clutch slip for the launch, then pulling through all the gears started to over heat it after a hand full of consecutive runs (at street drags here they move the cars fast and you dont wait forever to get another run). that was on my hx35 now a have a 63mm. haven't really turned the boost up in the process of switching turbo housing then going to get it dialed on 17psi. im betting that the clutch will hold on the hw but not at drags. should be high 400's on pumpgas like what the hx35 was doing on race gas. needless to say a twin disk is on the to do list since im exceeding what this clutch can hold.

as for the driveline and diff it will handle that hp no problem. im still on a stock drive line and diff with a weir kit that shims it tighter and has a added spring to make the clutch packs not slip as easy. besides adding the weir kit i wouldn't mess with those till they break. to make sure your drive line is ok make sure the unjoints are lined up when looking down it.

suprahero what spec clutch are you using??? i thought the consensus was that spec clutches suck. this is what i was thinking of getting to replace mine.

http://www.rhdjapan.com/exedy-hyper-multi-twin-plate-clutch-1jz.html

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
black89t;2038235 said:
suprahero what spec clutch are you using??? i thought the consensus was that spec clutches suck. this is what i was thinking of getting to replace mine.

http://www.rhdjapan.com/exedy-hyper-multi-twin-plate-clutch-1jz.html

Well, since purple is my favorite color, I'd say you can't go wrong with that clutch.

As for the spec, I haven't got to beat on it a whole lot yet, but Spec is here local to me. If it tears up, I'll have them fix it for me. I just put a metal roof on one of the main guys at spec. He gave me a deal I couldn't pass up for the twin disc. I can't say how much it was, but If it lasts a year, I'll get my money's worth. They are great people over there and I've been happy so far. I don't know what Spec clutch it is other than it's a twin disc made specifically for the 2jz. It's rated at 1500 ft lbs of torque supposedly, but I'll never see that much power.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
hahahaa the purple does look fancy

but thats a dam good reason to try the spec out can't go wrong there. it is nice that you don't have to ship to and from japan to get replacement parts to like the exedy or osgiken. im guessing you have the etrim just by looking over what they have available. how is it starting from stop and just going around town?

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
My guy at spec said he could knock off 15% for you. That turns an 1800.00 clutch into a shade over 1500.00

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
suprahero;2039948 said:
My guy at spec said he could knock off 15% for you. That turns an 1800.00 clutch into a shade over 1500.00

nice thanks!!! thats a decent discount im still not positive on what clutch i want to run the osgiken str looks really nice and both disk are sprung which is something id like. im gonna look into the spec more im thinking the ss trim rated at 900flbs would be best for me since i want driveability. i did get my new housing on and turn the boost up to 18psi and it only handled about 3 pulls then just revd up lol. now its off the wg at 14psi. it holds but need a new clutch soon.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Sounds good. Let me know if you need to get in touch with him. His name is Matt.
My name is Jay Hayes. He knows me because of my supra and I put a metal roof on his house.