How Much It Cost You To Do Your Swap?

BurntBisquit763

Aug 2, 2011
Minny Soda
I looked up the prices on the stickie thread on the swap cost and it came out to 6 to 7 thousand to do a 2jzgte swap into a mkiii. But my question to people who have swapped in anything into the mkiii supra, how much did it cost you roughly? Dont matter what engine, how much did it cost you to get the car running? I am interested on the price cost of the 2jzgte, i mean there might be somebody whos done it for less.
Oh yea, first post lol:icon_bigg

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Aristo 2JZ
Once I had completed the swap to a degree I felt comfortable with enough to call complete, and prior to any modifying, I was kissing just over 6.5K. This was with replacing worn parts with new ones, old hoses with fresh ones, and crumbling connectors with solid ones. Doing all the work myself. You'll find it is not the big parts that rack up the price, it's all the little things that sneak up on you, grab your wallet and run for the hills. It can be done for less, but I only wanted to do it once.

BurntBisquit763

Aug 2, 2011
Minny Soda
Dirgle;1745766 said:
Aristo 2JZ
Once I had completed the swap to a degree I felt comfortable with enough to call complete, and prior to any modifying, I was kissing just over 6.5K. This was with replacing worn parts with new ones, old hoses with fresh ones, and crumbling connectors with solid ones. Doing all the work myself. You'll find it is not the big parts that rack up the price, it's all the little things that sneak up on you, grab your wallet and run for the hills. It can be done for less, but I only wanted to do it once.
Did you do anything with the rear diff and did you stay with the stock twins or no? I know theres some banging of the firewall to keep the twins

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
BurntBisquit763;1745968 said:
Did you do anything with the rear diff and did you stay with the stock twins or no? I know theres some banging of the firewall to keep the twins

Didn't do anything with the rear diff other than fresh fluid. I'm pretty partial to the stock sequential setup, so I kept that, though it did require some new plastic bits that had gotten brittle to get the system working properly again. Parts that could only be sourced from Toyota for small fortune. And the firewall did need some massaging with a large mallet.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
JP85MX73;1745712 said:
5k minimum doing it all yourself

I could have done it in 4k.

Depending what you do and how much work you do. 6-7k is what its going to cost if someone else does the swap to stock.

monster2j

Aug 20, 2010
socal
Around 6.5k for a basic aristo 2j swap done by a shop. Mine of course was alot more than that lol because of certain parts i wanted to replace such as the clutch ect..

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
D.J.T.;1746052 said:
6-7K? No offense i love the MKIII but i rather use that money towards buying an MKIV.

A decent stock na mkiv will set you back 2 or 3 times that easy. Clean turbo mkiv? Closer to 25-30.

Not to mention some of us actually like the mk3 styling. :p

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

JP85MX73

May 24, 2010
NY
hvyman;1746002 said:
I could have done it in 4k.

Depending what you do and how much work you do. 6-7k is what its going to cost if someone else does the swap to stock.

ya without any maintenance and decent new parts. have fun spending 4k all in and having a nicely running car

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
D.J.T.;1746052 said:
6-7K? No offense i love the MKIII but i rather use that money towards buying an MKIV.

I plan on spending 8-9k on mine. That's buying the car, swap parts, and upgrades. It's a hobby and challenge to build a car with my own hand. That can hold its own at the track. One of these days I will also own a mkiv. But for now ill take pride in building my mkiii.

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
suprarx7nut;1746062 said:
A decent stock na mkiv will set you back 2 or 3 times that easy. Clean turbo mkiv? Closer to 25-30.

Not to mention some of us actually like the mk3 styling. :p

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

There was a 100% stock MKIV Turbo 6 Speed for $18000...

Arrest_me_red

Aug 2, 2010
Toledo Ohio
My 1j swap went like this
2100 for engine and trans
450 for intercooler and piping
550 for clutch
$200 order to toyotapartswest for new belts gaskets, waterpump etc.
$200 order to driftmotion for powersteering line and misc. swap parts.
$180 for china y pipe
so thats 3680?
not too bad i guess

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
D.J.T.;1746092 said:
There was a 100% stock MKIV Turbo 6 Speed for $18000...

Maybe in 1999...

As for mine, if I had just dropped it in as it was shipped, ~$2300. However, I was a bit smarter, and did all the maintenance and freshening up I didn't wanna do with the engine IN the car first. Between the gasket set, TPS (mine broke in shipping I suspect), fluids, serpentine belt, porting/polishing, cams, etc, etc... I think I'm into mine around $4000-4500 give or take, with the head work being the majority of the cost above and beyond the engine/transmission price.

kneedragger85

Sep 9, 2008
Boulder, CO
I did my Aristo swap for just under $4100 with all new parts/conversion parts. I already had a 2.5" FMIC setup and aftermarket clutch which saved me a bunch.

I also helped a buddy with his 1JZ swap who spent less than $2500 which includes the cost of buying a used R154.

Everything depends on what you're starting with (NA/Turbo), who does the work, sourcing parts, existing parts, and the condition of what you get.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
JP85MX73;1746063 said:
ya without any maintenance and decent new parts. have fun spending 4k all in and having a nicely running car

Everything I used on my 1j could have been used on a 2j. All rand new parts. My car runs flawlessly. And doesn't leak. Just need to look in the right places. And do ALL the work yourself.