How important is the P/S pump Air Control Valve?

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
www.timduganphotography.com
How important is the P/S pump Air Control Valve?? In swapping mine over from my bad pump to the new one, one of the nipples broke off. Do I need to whip out some plastic welding stuff and get it back on, or can I just bypass it?

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
speed;978662 said:
How important is the P/S pump Air Control Valve?? In swapping mine over from my bad pump to the new one, one of the nipples broke off. Do I need to whip out some plastic welding stuff and get it back on, or can I just bypass it?

you can fix it like any other vac line.

does the vsv connect to your pump on the old one? vs on the line like the new one?

speed

Gone. Email me.
May 27, 2006
not here
www.timduganphotography.com
what do you mean, fix it like a vac line? (heh, that sounds like a shitty song that would be played on the radio - kinda like 'shake it like a polariod')

*cough*

does all it need is 1 vac source? Can i block off the broken nipple (it broke all the way at the housing), and reroute that line? or does it need both lines?

does the vsv connect to your pump on the old one? vs on the line like the new one?
on the pressure side of the pump, theres a big banjo thingy that then leads to the pressure line to the rack, and then the ACV (does acv = vsv?). The air valve has two nipples leading to vac lines which run back through the intake side of the motor somewhere.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
speed;978666 said:
what do you mean, fix it like a vac line? (heh, that sounds like a shitty song that would be played on the radio - kinda like 'shake it like a polariod')

*cough*

does all it need is 1 vac source? Can i block off the broken nipple (it broke all the way at the housing), and reroute that line? or does it need both lines?

it needs both, to properly work one nipple goes before the TB and the other goes after the TB. it makes sure your engine doesnt die when turning in a parking lot hehe

they are just vac lines though. plastic weld should work fine, if not i have an extra one (i should've sent it with the pump)

annoyingrob

Boosted member
Jul 5, 2006
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
don't worry about it too much, unless you really want it.

What the VSV does is open up during high PS pressure (raises the idle when turning).

Without it, it doesn't change much. I ran without it for about a year before I got another one. I took the two lines, and initially connected them together all the time, but it raised the idle too much for my liking, so I blocked the two off.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
agreed, I had the same broken nipple on Lucy and never fixed it. I didnt notice an idle drop turning the wheel at idle.

bluemkiii

redmkiii's little brother
Jul 25, 2007
phoenix, AZ
You can also get one from a 7m, I asked bigarron If it would be ok to run it with out the valve because I just connected his PS high pressure line directly to the pump and he said its fine and it would make little to no difference, so I would imagine he knows what hes talking about.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
be sure to update me on the pump install ;) try to fill that sucker up with ATF too before you start it and make sure your resovoir is not clogged or anything hehe. hopefully your problem before was just the pump