How Illegal Is This?

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
I was just CURIOUS as to how illegal heh.... taking the vin plates and the title from a couple of parts cars i hav and putting them on imported supras to be able to register them... in all reality they check the dash VIN and the door VIN and call it a day...

im just wondering about this or if anyones done it...and finally would anyone be interested in something like this ;)

*disclaimer*: this is all hypothetical this will never happen...

Lurch

You rang?
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxvegas
On the instinctive hope-I'm-not-gonna-get-butt-raped-in-Federal-prison-ometer, this feels pretty illegal. In reality I have no clue.

H

Hofajoab

yeah i think that would be illegal, completely, well atleast here in the UK.

bgrieger

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto
Quite illegal, but getting caught is the hard part. If the car is ever sold with those moved tags, you have a significant problem. If you tag it for your own use without any desire to sell, you should be alright. Not like you'll turn yourself in. Now, get in an accident and have your insurer find out and you enter into a whole world of hurt...

sorcereur

MKIII Revolution Inc.
Mar 31, 2005
NC
Before the illegal part, removing the vin plate and vin sticker on the door without leaving marks indicating that it's been tampered with is next to impossible.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
i think you would get away with it. if for some reason you were ever questioned, you just tell them that you have done some MAJOR work to the car, with many parts from many donor cars and some of those pieces that have been swapped just happend to have other vin plaes included.

DrakeMK3

"The Duck"
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxville, TN
sorcereur said:
Before the illegal part, removing the vin plate and vin sticker on the door without leaving marks indicating that it's been tampered with is next to impossible.

On the contrary. My vin plate in the engine bay fell off with the rivets still in place. I have no idea how the hell it happened, but one day it was there, the next day it was not. :confused:

Shinobu

Mmmm... Juicy!
Mar 30, 2005
Columbus, GA
VERY illegal. Although, as long as the parts cars they came from are destroyed, why the heck not. Might be tough on visual inspection though if it's right-hand-drive.

sorcereur

MKIII Revolution Inc.
Mar 31, 2005
NC
DrakeMK3 said:
On the contrary. My vin plate in the engine bay fell off with the rivets still in place. I have no idea how the hell it happened, but one day it was there, the next day it was not. :confused:

I was talking about the dash plate. The one that's jammed under the windshield. I never took them off, so maybe i should stop ASS-U-ming.

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
only real way to get that one out is to take out the windshield. BUT.......all you have to do is drill out the rivets, put the new plate with some new rivets and voila!

L

lanky189

rivets..no

in order to do this legally..and I do beleive there is a way.. you hafta contact your local DMV. They can remove and reinstall vin plates for certain sitautions. The rivets used when installing the VIN tags are not available to the public..and a discriminating eye can easily discern the difference.

While workin on a buddies RX-7 we accidently removed the underhood plate...and then after we removed the dashboard..he purposefully removed the dash one.. both had to be reinstalled by a state-trooper type guy....

sammydafish

Boost Addict
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, NY
www.trdsupra.com
if you have title to both cars, swaping parts it legal (many cars have the vin plate attatched to the dash itself, so a dash swap would change the vin) basicaly, you can leagaly take two cars and make them one car if you own both cars. If you ever have to go through a theft inspection they will look at all identifying stickers on the car (dash, firewall, fender and bumper stickers. If it's an airbag car, they will check all the airbag components too. EPA stickers can be ordered from the dealer to replace one that has fallen off or been removed for paint. If you have legal title to donor car, all parts save for air bag parts can be swaped and those with vin stickers require you paying for a new sticker during the thieft inspection, at least that's how it works in NY.

You live in Florida though, the state of DMV fraud. you can get away with most anything there, all the laws are full of loopholes (pretty much on purpose too). Every illegal car I know of that's been imported into the states has gone through Florida.

Old cars like ours are not that hard to do a total swap on, just make sure you get every part that's identified. If you do a perfict job, the burden of proof is up to them to prove if you get caught.

The penaties are felony charges though in most states I'm sure.

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
I assume the idea here is to have a "legal" JDM car? One that you can register and buy insurance for.

I don't care much for legality, but ethics do apply. The FMVSS were ostensibly created to protect the consumer, so anybody that drove a JDM car would not be afforded such wonderful features as 5 MPH bumpers and side impact protection. If someone were to drive this car and -say- die a fiery death after a t-bone collision, there could be some problems...

However, I'm guessing you're like any number of enthusiasts that simply want to drive JDM spec cars and don't intend to sell them to the unwitting public. In which case, there is no moral or ethical delimna at all.

Therefore, I'd suggest affixing whatever identification you wish to your vehicle and flipping the bird to whoever dares call it wrong.

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
I'm pretty sure they got rid of 5mph bumpers by 1987 (actually made cars less safe because they didn't crumple as well in higher-speed crashes). And I doubt the doors or any other major structural part is a lot different between the two bodies. Basically you have an engine that was never tested for emissions.

The skyline, on the other hand, was never imported to the US so motorex had to crash a few to show they'd pass the standards for their year. Since the jza70 shares it's chassis with a pre-existing US car, it shouldn't require crash testing. You might have to swap out the glass if the japanese do not use safety glass...

My biggest hope is actually with Canada. From what I hear, you can import a car there after 15 years. You can bring cars from Canada into the US without much fanfare, so hopefully you could squeak a grey-market car in that route

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
haha this thread is informative and funny as hell..

limequat that was a very detailed writeup of an accident ;)

anyways i was mainly curious because ill have two parts cars which will basically be taken away and cruashed when im done parting them out... i have both titles in my name and they are clean.

so why waste those ya know? maybe someone could use them and the VINS to register a car they wanted to get from japan... maybe a turbo A or something ;)

anyways it was more of a "what if" rather then a "im gonna do this" situation.

keep em coming guys thanks!

T

toyota_supra_1988

peple get busted and they confiscate your car, for that, its just like taking the vin plate off damaged cars and replaceing the ones on stolen cars, the cops track you down and you end up getting busted and then going to jail..not very smart idea but im sure its all crossed our minds at one time or another :p