How hard would this be.

TweeT91109

Jan 7, 2010
Tampa, Florida, United States
I have a bud, that wants to swap my 86.5 7M-GE, into his 91 Cressida. How hard would this be and what all would we need to complete the swap. He has the Auto trans out of the Cressida, he is wanting to mate to the engine.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Did his Cressida come with a 5m or 7m?

Won't be hard. Idk cressidas well but the cress 7m harness might plug in if it had a 5m if not might just need to swap pins or just cut and solder for the body plugs.

Cressidas use front sump tho so you will need the pump pick up tube and pan.

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Don't think that the 7M in the cressy has ACIS though, but I don't see it being a real issue. May be some connectors that might change as the cressy motors might have made the transition like the supra did with the yellow and grey plug ECU.

It's going to be minor stuff though.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Pans will swap, but oil pump I'd be hesitant to swap, especialy since I have a feeling the engine in the cressy is bad.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Cressy runs different mounts it looks like (they're round, but don't mount like ours), he'll have to use his. Oil pump is completely different it seems (new one is $200 from rockauto).

A lot of misc. stuff will more than likely have to be swapped over (motor mounts and brackets, accessories may be different, etc.) While it's the same engine, there are still differences.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Need both the pump and pickup tube. Comes as a unit. Had a jdm ge out of a cressey in my old car.

SRZMK3

ecu hooks up, engine mounts are different, oil pan and pump are different, intake manifold is different. the good new is, the head and block are the exact same and everything has its place even tho its a different car the bolt holes will be there.

i know all of this because i swapped a jdm 7mge from an auto 91 cressy, into my manual w58 87 supra.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
So i just took a look, the cressida 7mge uses a one piece pump pick up. So if your cressida pump is a bit stuffed just cut and re weld the supra pick up tube to suit the front sump. Also the engine mounts like Poodles said use the alloy upper mount and sit on the round rubber type.I have a cut and welded pick up if you need a pic for reference.?

---------- Post added at 09:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 AM ----------

Use the existing harness and swap any different sensors.