How does one know if their car has the keyless entry option?

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
I recently purchased my 91. Here are the details:

1991 Black, Dark/Smoke grey interior, Leather, 5 Spd, Sunroof, TEMS.

Can anyone tell from those options whether or not it has the keyless entry option? Are there any identifiers that I can look for to find out?

The kid I bought it from was not the original owner and he didn't give me any keyless remotes; but, COULD it have keyless entry? THAT is the question...

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Ok... Scratch this thread. I just found a link noting that the keyless entry option wasn't introduced until 1992.

Sorry guys... :)

92TealSupra

Supramania's Parts Man
Sep 2, 2008
Great Lakes State
CajunKenny;1175282 said:
Ok... Scratch this thread. I just found a link noting that the keyless entry option wasn't introduced until 1992.

Sorry guys... :)

Sorry to thread here here!!! Maybe this will all give us a better understanding, but I have a '92! How would I know if I had it or have it?

Again sorry for jacking this thread :'[

supradjza80

Mr. Formula SAE
Apr 24, 2007
Appleton, WI
www.uwracing.com
I just went to the dealership and asked them for an options print out (basically a non pretty window sticker) and mine didn't have the keyless entry listed. I am guessing this is the easiest way to figure it out.

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
Hey Kenny, my car has the same color combo & options as you listed, it's a 91
and I do have a keyless entry w/ remotes. Came on the car when I bought it in
the spring of 92.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
SWD Fredester 3;1175751 said:
Hey Kenny, my car has the same color combo & options as you listed, it's a 91
and I do have a keyless entry w/ remotes. Came on the car when I bought it in
the spring of 92.

Wow! Maybe a trip to the dealership, as stated above, would be a good idea! I've read that our color combo is pretty rare! Is this what you've heard also?

That's awesome that you've owned your car for that long. Let me know if you ever want to sell it! I could have twins sitting in my garage!! :biglaugh:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
There is a part number on Chris Jensens' home page for the plug and play kit on 91. Older ones need rewiring. Or at least he used to have it up.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Toyota Theft Deterrent System Enhancement (TDSE)

08585-00861
(Base Kit)

00398-14910
(Installation Kit)

Toyota annouced the release of the TDSE security system enhancement in July, 1991. The system adds the following features to the Factory Theft Deterrent System (TVSS):

* Two Remote Transmitters
* Glass Breakage Sensor
* Horn Defeat
* Car Finder
* Remote Arming
* Remote Door Locking

Supplements the stock TVSS (Toyota Vehicle Security System) with a more robust shielding against potential thieves.

The system is a virtual plug-in on all '91 and '92 Supras. Supras 86.5 to '90 require a minor modification to the power lock circuit harness since there was a minor change to that particular harness in 1991.

SWD Fredester 3

Supramania Contributor
Apr 25, 2008
baltimore maryland
CajunKenny;1175850 said:
Wow! Maybe a trip to the dealership, as stated above, would be a good idea! I've read that our color combo is pretty rare! Is this what you've heard also?

That's awesome that you've owned your car for that long. Let me know if you ever want to sell it! I could have twins sitting in my garage!! :biglaugh:

Yeah this ones my old baby, lots of history with the car, don't really see ever letting it go. Although my wife would be happy if I did. Right now I'm in the middle of a complete rebuild, that's part of the "Mania" of owning a Supra.-:biglaugh:

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
Easiest thing to do would be to check for the piggyback module strapped to the TDS computer under your dash - you do know how to remove the panel under the dash right?

The TDSE (you aren't going to be able to find any more new ones ANYWHERE - trust me on this one, they're all gone) is an extra module that connects to the TDS. Just locate the TDS module under your dash and see if there is an extra box connected to it.

I contacted FujitsuTen many years ago trying to figure out how to wire the VIP to work with the TDS - had it down to just two last wires. Was hoping I could connect the two systems. They actually contacted me back but instead of the information I was looking for they gave me some new part numbers for the 15 units they had sitting in their dead parts bin. A quick call to Jeff Watson back in the day and he snatched up all they had left. Jeff had a large number of people on a waiting list for these when I gave him the news. I think they sold out in a week or so. I got mine - installed on an 89T - and LOVE it!

You'd likely have an easier time installing an aftermarket alarm and using that for your keyless entry system.

ms0072

Apr 12, 2007
nj
just an fyi --

I bought a remote starter/keyless entry kit from toyo4life the other day.

He has the full install up on the forum, step by step with pics , it made the install a piece of cake. Took me about 2 hours including removing and reinstalling the various interior pieces. Everything works as it should including the factory alarm and the cooldown feature.

I'd highly recommend contacting him.
He has kits available with various combinations of features alarms/remote starter / keyless entry .

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Well, I went to the dealership and got the print out. Mine was not equipped with the keyless feature. :(

They showed me books that stated that the keyless entry was only available on 91's that DID NOT have the sunroof. When I mentioned that I'd heard of a few 91's equipped with a sunroof having the keyless entry option, I got the deer in the headlight look followed by a shrug...

And as stated above, there are no more TDSE's to buy.

KeithH: Are there any identifiers on this module/box? And yes...I know how to take the dash apart. ;)

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
SWD Fredester 3;1176556 said:
Yeah this ones my old baby, lots of history with the car, don't really see ever letting it go. Although my wife would be happy if I did. Right now I'm in the middle of a complete rebuild, that's part of the "Mania" of owning a Supra.-:biglaugh:

I know that feeling all too well. Good luck with the build!! :icon_bigg

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
It has been so long since I installed my TDSE, I don't recall any specific markings.

Take a look at the manual and locate your TDS computer module under the dash. If you have a piggyback module attached then you may have the brain for the TDSE.

The TDSE had three main parts: 1 - the piggy back computer, 2 - the key fobs, and 3 - the Horn Defeat / Glass Break Sensor.

Keyfobs can get lost.

If you don't have the Horn Defeat / Glass Break Sensor (mounted in the panel to the left of the steering column where the fog light switch lives), you can be pretty sure you don't have the TDSE.

But the only full confirmation would be to check for the piggy back computer attached to the TDS computer.

I'll say that the odds are not very good that you have this module.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
I just did a full dash dis-assemble and re-assemble due to a leaking Heater Core. I do remember a module/box in the area around the fog light switch. I think it was yellow, or some light color anyway...

I'll do as described and post what I find.

Thanks for the info!!!