how does my parts list look???

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Hello all
as some of you know i have been "boostless" for a while now as i have been collecting parts to build my car correctly this time
i wanted to run my parts list/plan by you guys to see if i am leaving out anything critical

my plan is to have this done by the centrailia meet

mpt70 turbo (purchased)
t4 manifold (purchased)
wastegate (purchased)
tial bov (purchased)
large intercooler+2.5in pipes (purchased)
plan on making my own exhaust
walbro 400 lph fuel pump (purchased)
eagle rods
je or wiseco forged pistons
hks mhg
arp studs(purchased)
clevite bearings
ID injectors 1000cc w/clips
clutch ???not sure which one
megasquirt 3xtra w/mapdaddy 4(purchased)
wiring harness
iat sensor
egt probe
innovate egt interface
egt bung
innovate wideband
boost solinoid
ss one peice DRIVELINE
bc 264 cams
cry02 intercooler sprayer(purchased)
tokiko shocks (purchased)

edit added parts to list
valve springs and retainers
Oil squirters
Freeze plugs
larger oil cooler

any input is appreciated this has been a long time coming and i am beginning to get excited...

Last edited:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
If your going to run a ms3x I'd suggest getting the harness that diyautotune sells and making a new one so your not messing with the old 7m harnes.

DIY sells a boost Solinoid. The 3x already comes with everything needed for boost control. You just need the Solinoid, 1 wire gets switched power the other wire goes to the wire labeled boost on the harness from DIY and is ground controlled internally. Super easy.

Here is some info on egt with ms3 as well.
http://msextra.com/doc/ms3/egt.html

I don't see wastegate or manifold on your list.
And if you going to run cams I would suggest some new springs and retainers. The Chevy springs iirc are about 60-70 for all of them and would be perfect for 264's.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Thanks hvyman
Yes I am planning on getting the 12ft harness the boost solenoid and egt from diy
As far as the egt goes should I get open or closed? How much does it matter?
I have a tial bov a manifold and wastegate(I have run this turbo on maft pro in the past)

Do you know what Chevy Springs match up?

Do I need titanium retainers or just new stock?

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Looks to be about a $12000 (including machining work) wish list. I'd drop the egt stuff as a wideband will tell you enough about your fuel mixture. You need a turbo manifold in there, custom downpipe, fancy catback exhaust, Tial BOV & WG, BC springs and retainers to go with those cams, upgraded intercooler and piping kit, and other small shit that's going to nickel and dime you to death. It doesn't end there. Cooling system, wheels and tires, upgraded brakes, paint job, etc. Before you know it you'll be $25000 into modding this dinosaur. Don't believe me ask anybody here with a very nice looking MKIII.

Are you sure you want to spend that kind of coin on this car?

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
I have intercooler plan on fabbing my own exhaust I have turbo manifold, bov, downpipe, large intercooler, the list of stuff I don't yet have is around 5000-6000 - wheels, tires etc.. not included yes this shell I bought to build I have done a lot of figuring researching and refiguring I have the Ok from the wife now it's down to pinching pennies and ordering parts

Last edited:

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
out of curiosity since i will be replacing springs and retainers would there be a downside/upside to running the bc 272 cams??? what "other modifications" are required???
and how do the suprasport 1050 injectors compare to the rc 1000s??? they are a touch cheaper (i dont want to cut corners but the more money i have to spend the farther the end date gets pushed out...and if i can get a comparable product for cheaper i will)

Last edited:

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Suprapowaz!(2);1968638 said:
Looks to be about a $12000 (including machining work) wish list. I'd drop the egt stuff as a wideband will tell you enough about your fuel mixture. You need a turbo manifold in there, custom downpipe, fancy catback exhaust, Tial BOV & WG, BC springs and retainers to go with those cams, upgraded intercooler and piping kit, and other small shit that's going to nickel and dime you to death. It doesn't end there. Cooling system, wheels and tires, upgraded brakes, paint job, etc. Before you know it you'll be $25000 into modding this dinosaur. Don't believe me ask anybody here with a very nice looking MKIII.

Are you sure you want to spend that kind of coin on this car?

Mine passed that a long time ago.. rofl. (mind you.. all of my work has been done by a fairly expensive shop.)

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Grandavi;1968647 said:
Mine passed that a long time ago.. rofl. (mind you.. all of my work has been done by a fairly expensive shop.)

yeah if i had a shop do any work this would take another 5 years lol i am doing everything myself (minus machine work) i have a buddy who owns a auto shop that he lets me use on weekends and after hours when i need a lift but the majority of the work will be done in my shed :) i have been brushing up on my soldering skills and feel comfortable enough to assemble the diy megasquirt kit (i have to be a cheap ass when it doesnt matter lol)

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
I've spent $13,000+ in the last 18 months, and mine is still not running, it's not yet painted, and the the interior hasn't been touched yet.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
i bought a very clean shell interior is almost perfect...... exterior i have repainted my bumpers but when i am done with the engine build i will respray the whole body

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
rc injectors 1000cc <--- Are these the older or newer technology. I haven't seen anyone commenting on how well these run. I went with what was recommended in almost everything I read and bought the Injector Dynamic 1000 cc injectors just because of their overall control. They have a huge range for duty cycle so I could run them like 440 cc injectors if I needed and the car wouldn't notice. I know the 550 cc PL8's are the older technology that is more compatible with the Supra ECU.

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
Grandavi;1968654 said:
rc injectors 1000cc <--- Are these the older or newer technology. I haven't seen anyone commenting on how well these run. I went with what was recommended in almost everything I read and bought the Injector Dynamic 1000 cc injectors just because of their overall control. They have a huge range for duty cycle so I could run them like 440 cc injectors if I needed and the car wouldn't notice. I know the 550 cc PL8's are the older technology that is more compatible with the Supra ECU.

i have no clue ....
however I have only heard good things about the ID injectors but not from anyone I would trust till now... maybe I will go with those they are only 100 bucks more and it's a fairly critical part

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
supranewbie;1968659 said:
ID is what JRR uses....Looking like a pretty potent list:)

Lol I originally wanted reliability with a little power but as upgrade added to upgrade it's looking a little like reliability with quite a bit of power

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
I see larger oil cooler but nothing about new pump. At least make sure you feeler the gears in it and it is within spec. Scary to think that much money into something and a faulty pump could take it all out.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
The one thing I wished I had done other than going with Wiseco forged pistons is to let Reg Reimer at RCTS build my pistons. He does the wrist pins the same as the OEM pistons with a slightly offset bore to account for knock. Then you have less worry about forged pistons setting off the knock sensors. He's the only one I know that builds them for the 7M

jdmfreak

PACNW
Oct 8, 2010
north clark co. WA.
I have a shimmed pump with less than 5000miles on it... I have been researching to try and figure out if it's worth reusing.... I haven't yet found out how to check/clean it or if that's even worth doing