how do you guys fix this?

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
man, i've had a dry start on my 1jz since its been running, which has been like 6-8 months. i don't know how to get rid of it, all i'm doing now to keep it from getting worst is priming the motor before i start it if i haven't driven it for long periods of time. i need to get rid of this before it gets worst, can anyone tell me how?

o... yea forgot to add that i need new struts and springs also, what do you guys recommend? i'm looking for something stiffer than stock and i want to lower the car as much as possible but i'm not looking for an expensive system like the tein or hks full coilovers that cost like 1200 bucks

thanks, toua

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
You get rid of a dry start by starting it with oil. If you did a rebuild, you need to pack the pump with the same lube that is used on the bearings. Something like Lubriplate 105.

You are getting rid of your 1JZ?

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
Nick M;1122364 said:
You get rid of a dry start by starting it with oil. If you did a rebuild, you need to pack the pump with the same lube that is used on the bearings. Something like Lubriplate 105.

You are getting rid of your 1JZ?

it was never rebuilt or anything bought the motor used changed the oil left in it, primed it then started it.

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
CTsupra;1122393 said:
wat?

Fill oil to full on dipstick, start car?

i primed it by taking out the efi fuse and primed it for like a minute then put the fuse back in n started it

CTsupra

Supramania Contributor
86_sports_1jz;1122602 said:
it was never rebuilt or anything bought the motor used changed the oil left in it, primed it then started it.

86_sports_1jz;1122603 said:
okay i've done that too

86_sports_1jz;1122604 said:
i primed it by taking out the efi fuse and primed it for like a minute then put the fuse back in n started it

Then what is the problem here? Are you secretly trying to tell us that you have rod knock without actually typing, "I have rod knocked my 1jz?"

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
Before starting it, drain out a quart of oil, remove valve covers, pour in a quart of oil over cams (using a little heavier oil than you normally run), replace valve covers (quick as you can), fill oil filter...start. Done.

86_sports_1jz

slow 700hp build...
Aug 27, 2006
OK
suprabad;1122849 said:
Before starting it, drain out a quart of oil, remove valve covers, pour in a quart of oil over cams (using a little heavier oil than you normally run), replace valve covers (quick as you can), fill oil filter...start. Done.

okay i've done that n it didn't work.

what i mean by a dry start is when i first start my motor up it sounds like its gonna have a rod knock or it is having a small rod knock, then after a couple of seconds after the motor is started the rod knock sound goes away as if oil fills the motor completely up. when the motor is started for the first couple of seconds you hear it and then it goes away completely like it was never there. my motor doesn't have rod knock i know what rod knock is, i owned numerous 7m's. other than that my motor runs fine.

Sep 10, 2007
Virginia
tissimo;1122708 said:
install an accusump setup.

+1

86_sports_1jz;1123569 said:
okay i've done that n it didn't work.

what i mean by a dry start is when i first start my motor up it sounds like its gonna have a rod knock or it is having a small rod knock, then after a couple of seconds after the motor is started the rod knock sound goes away as if oil fills the motor completely up. when the motor is started for the first couple of seconds you hear it and then it goes away completely like it was never there. my motor doesn't have rod knock i know what rod knock is, i owned numerous 7m's. other than that my motor runs fine.

an accusump will prime the engine before you start it each time, which will eliminate what you are hearing...but IMO, what you are hearing is normal unless it is very loud and last longer than 1-2 seconds. the engine needs a second to get oil flowing throughout it, and it might sound like rod knock at the very beginning.