How dark are your windows Pics please

supramk3man

Supramania Contributor
Jun 26, 2005
kentucky
Well if all goes well i will be going to get my windows tinted. The car is a 92 teal and i just put in the darker jdm lights so i figured the windows need to be tinted now. So what precent do you all go with, i still want to be able to see some at night. Thanks

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
Im also about to tint my windows. Tint looks different and either lighter or darker on different color of the car and the interrior of the car. The "great" city of Fairfax where i live only allow 50% on the front windows and 35% on the rears. But i have a dark blue car with blue interrior and i do not want any tickets for having tint on the car. I was thinking of doing 50 all around but it might look a little bit darker since i have a dark interrior. Or 50% in the front and the rest 35. I dont really like the mix and match but im still being undecided about that.

supramk3man

Supramania Contributor
Jun 26, 2005
kentucky
Great state of KY seems to care less. If you are in the a big city "Lexington, Lousivlle, Frankfort" and get pulled over some times they will write it up but most times they don't care. So i can do the same precent all around.

supramk3man

Supramania Contributor
Jun 26, 2005
kentucky
That doesn't sounds very good does it JetJock. What i meaning is some people tint so dark that you can not see out the windows to be able to back up at night. Does that help to make it less stupid of a comment?

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
It does ;)

I suggest you check your state vehicle laws about tinting percentage. That way you won't end up getting hassled later on like many do. Course, your ability to see safely at all times should trump them, as well as your desire for aesthetics.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
I think 30-20% looks just fine and allows you to see well at night. My g/f had 30 all around on her last car and it was perfectly fine at night.

I will be getting either 30 or 15 shortly. The legal limit is 27% here, so 30 would be legal, 15 would not.

ZoomZoomZoom

On the road again..
Dec 9, 2007
KY
I know its illegal, but I knew someone who owned a tint shop that tinted his windshield. Just enough to knock down some of the UV rays. I would love to do this to keep the interior cooler and protect the dash on both my supra and altima.

ahmedootie

Camel Jockey
May 16, 2005
Vernon Hills, IL
^ in IL, you can have any percentage on the rear windows and none on the front two or winshield. On my grey car in the garage I had Limo all around and 50% on the winshield. I loved it because when the car was parked with the windows up and top on, you couldn't see inside of it be it night or day. BUT, I never really drove it with the windows up or the top on, so i never really got pulled over. with the targa off, and the winshield at 50%, not many people even noticed it was tinted. day or night, you can see out of it just fine.

Beatrice

Toyota Whore
Feb 5, 2008
Louisville, KY
i had 15 on my old car and never had any trouble with the cops. also i could still see really well out of the windows but i guess thats just me though

dugums

Better, Faster, Stronger
Apr 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
ahmedootie;1067672 said:
^ in IL, you can have any percentage on the rear windows and none on the front two or winshield. On my grey car in the garage I had Limo all around and 50% on the winshield. I loved it because when the car was parked with the windows up and top on, you couldn't see inside of it be it night or day. BUT, I never really drove it with the windows up or the top on, so i never really got pulled over. with the targa off, and the winshield at 50%, not many people even noticed it was tinted. day or night, you can see out of it just fine.

I'm in IL too. Most of my cars (though not my latest Supra) have been tinted 5% rear, 35% front. I am really happy with that combo and haven't had any problems with the authorities.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
15 is WAY too dark for drivers windows. I think its too dark for quarter windows if you plan to look over your shoulder to see cars beside you in traffic.

On my jeep I had 35 rear and 50 front and it was perfect. You could barely tell the fronts were tinted especially compared to the back, but imho front windows shouldnt be dark, only UV protected. Here in Oregon on a dark rainy or foggy night, I want to be able to drive safely. That is far more important than how the car looks from the outside.

here is the jeep after tinting:
DSCF2027.JPG

It looks darker there than it really is because you are looking through two layers (other side windows behind). and the picture is taken on an overcast day.

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
I suggest 35 rear and 50 for front. My car has the bronze tinted glass from the factory so having more than what I stated would make mine look too dark.

Duane

supramk3man

Supramania Contributor
Jun 26, 2005
kentucky
Well i don't want to do it just for the looks, but the looks are nice to have also. I want tint to keep some of the heat out of the car and to block alot of the sun during the day. I would just keep sunglasses but they always give me headaches not what type they are. please keep the info coming this is helping me to decide