how can i shift gears better?

dlgsus

Jun 25, 2013
virginia
I thought I would be pretty at first I learned to drive stick in a old ford ranger I'd shift between 2000rpm and 2500 but with my 91 na supra I feels so slow lol like I'm doing something wrong any advice on shifting to go faster?

nickwarren

Authorized Idiot
Aug 7, 2013
Nova Scotia, Canada
If you want to go fast, shift near the redline and drive it like it's stolen. You might be interested in watching some advanced driving techniques on youtube.

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
Well NA Supra are slow... (believe me when I say I know, I have had four of them...)

Best way to improve shift times is a short throw shifter, and just plain experience. Put 15-20k miles on your car and you will be shifting like a champ!

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
images

super51fan

Jul 28, 2010
Indianapolis
Are you kidding me you shift at 2500 rpm and the car is slow. If that is what you are saying. All I can say is " wow". That little tachometer thing shows how fast an engine is turning. Have you ever driven a automatic car and floored the gas pedal. Yes the one on the right. Did you notice the engine got lounder than normal and also the shifting occurred later than normal. And if you had a tach it was probably close to the engine redline. This all happens because the all engines usually make more power the higher they rev. If this is a real question please try this. First check your oil. You probaly have not done this. Better yet maybe change oil if unsure of condition. Then hold in clucth rev car 6000 rpm"s side step clutch enjoy your little burnout and hold everygear till 6500 rpm's and have fun. Btw if you don't do oil level check first you will suck pan dry then bitch than I have the "dreaded rod knock" Forgot an important thing. Make sure you are on a road with nothing in front of you.

1-2clutch-u

Feb 18, 2006
chi town and ohio
^or no. just drive your car and enjoy. supras arnt fast. And right when you think your car is fast some 2j fan boy will say its not. So the only point is to enjoy what you got or buy something else.

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
Swap your current engine with a b16 and get a vtec switch...
vtec_press_sw.jpg

Now you race car....
[video=youtube;eBefX3E6VtY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBefX3E6VtY[/video]

Broooom race car

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
dlgsus;1959051 said:
I think I'm going to leave sounds like I'm hurting somebody's feelings..........

Well, consider your original post. You're trying to take probably a stock 20+ year old non-turbo car and drive faster by shifting better. That's a technique that only you can learn and teach yourself. Some people will push the car out of gear without the clutch and catch the clutch in the motion to go to the next gear.

If you're going to come here and ask these kinds of questions, at least be ready for some very smart ass responses.

Now that's out of the way, lets talk about where your N/A produces its power. Most of the 7m-ge power is produced in its upper RPM range, which while it isn't very good on gas, it will motivate the car a little better. Peak power is around 6k RPM, which is pretty high for an older engine with probably original parts on it, and your peak torque is around 4800 RPM. In order to stay within the power of the engine, you're going to have to rev the engine for everything it has.

Shane

Turbo? No thanks!
May 19, 2013
Oregon
Personally I find 5,500 RPM is a nice place to shift if you want to go quickly and not blow shit up. Also, check your oil make sure it is at the top mark on the dipstick. Check your oil about 15 minutes after you shut the car off if you just drove it to ensure most of the oil is back in the pan.

Rev to 5,500, mash the clutch, push it out of gear towards the next, once you feel it pop into the next gear drop the clutch and roll back onto the throttle. Rinse, Repeat.

if you want to shift even faster, rebuild your trans, get some of that sick purple shit to put in it and install a short shifter.
Then it's just practice, relearning your trans.

Last edited: