How can I get my glove box open?

Eamon

Feb 3, 2010
USA
When I try to unlock it with the key it still won't open and is jammed. What can I do?

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
i had to drill mine....just drill it out and go to a locksmith an have them make you a new 1..never know what youll find in there haha...

Eamon

Feb 3, 2010
USA
dubsupra209;1527911 said:
i had to drill mine....just drill it out and go to a locksmith an have them make you a new 1..never know what youll find in there haha...

Haha yeah. I've never actually opened mine but I could see through the crack and saw the owners manual and I feel like reading it :p

Eamon

Feb 3, 2010
USA
survyor2;1527948 said:
Does the lock turn at all? If not, spray wd-40 or other lubricant into the lock. This worked for me on a bmw truck lock.

It turns but I don't feel any force when turning the key.

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
RazoE;1527971 said:
unbolt it from the bottom, and try to wiggle it around, or you can probably reach in from the back, I forgot how it is back there..

Yeah just take out the screws holding the glove box in place, they are all pretty visible. After you take them out just wiggle the box around, you should eventually be able to take it out.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
redmaro;1528001 said:
Yeah just take out the screws holding the glove box in place, they are all pretty visible. After you take them out just wiggle the box around, you should eventually be able to take it out.

Did that at the junkyard one time and completely ruined the glove box. There actually held in there pretty good. Never tried reaching around tho and was just going for the ecu.

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
hvyman;1528055 said:
Did that at the junkyard one time and completely ruined the glove box. There actually held in there pretty good. Never tried reaching around tho and was just going for the ecu.

Well I was able to get mine out without hurting anything.

Eamon

Feb 3, 2010
USA
I just ended up cutting the latch screwed to the dash. No big deal I can just get another one.
dubsupra209;1527911 said:
never know what youll find in there haha...
LMAO how true! Along with the manual and maintenance records, I found a bunch of other shit. A stuffed bear, 2 pears of eyeglasses, and a ratty old handkerchief! :puke:

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
Eamon;1528069 said:
I just ended up cutting the latch screwed to the dash. No big deal I can just get another one.

LMAO how true! Along with the manual and maintenance records, I found a bunch of other shit. A stuffed bear, 2 pears of eyeglasses, and a ratty old handkerchief! :puke:

haha i found a owner manual and maintance records also ...and a brand new water pump in the box still.....

how did you get it open............?

Eamon

Feb 3, 2010
USA
You know that metal latch that's attached to the inside of the glove box with screws? I just pried the glove box open slightly with a crowbar so i could see inside of it, and then stuck a hacksaw blade inside and cut it off. I can easily get a replacement from another car and screw it in so its no big deal though.

The 2 pairs of eyeglasses I found were some old mans prescription glasses so that probably means my car wasn't abused :D at least until I got a hold of it. D:

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
Eamon;1528107 said:
You know that metal latch that's attached to the inside of the glove box with screws? I just pried the glove box open slightly with a crowbar so i could see inside of it, and then stuck a hacksaw blade inside and cut it off. I can easily get a replacement from another car and screw it in so its no big deal though.

The 2 pairs of eyeglasses I found were some old mans prescription glasses so that probably means my car wasn't abused :D at least until I got a hold of it. D:

haha see i had to drill mine out cause i had 2 get to my ecu cause the guy the was buying my motor was waiting for me to unplug the harness...and i didnt want to mess up my glove box...i have to get a new lock though now :( ......you dont have a build thread i got a 87t also....

Eamon

Feb 3, 2010
USA
dubsupra209;1528108 said:
haha see i had to drill mine out cause i had 2 get to my ecu cause the guy the was buying my motor was waiting for me to unplug the harness...and i didnt want to mess up my glove box...i have to get a new lock though now :( ......you dont have a build thread i got a 87t also....

Yeah I don't have a build thread cuz I slid on some ice and hit a telephone pole less than a week after I purchased the car. D:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?116345-I-wrecked-my-Supra-(

Eamon

Feb 3, 2010
USA
dubsupra209;1528114 said:
o yea that sucks bro i remember reading that thread a while back.....have you got it fixed yet.......?

Unfortunately no. Should be a few months till she's fixed at this rate.