Horn don't work (aftermarket) and shifter probs?

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Hello Again everyone.

I come bearing blah news :/

I have two video i'd like to share to show what I'm dealing with.

1: I have an after market steering wheel set-up like you'll see in the video. I'm just curious to see if anyone has any pointers to show me how to hook up the wires to actually get the horns to work. The set-up is a little ghetto I know, but it's just to see if it works, then I will make a legit set-up.

[video=youtube;YL0kiMKFLPU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL0kiMKFLPU&feature=youtu.be[/video]

**UPDATE**

Short shifter works beautifully. Was my fault on improper installation

Last edited:

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Okay, thank you. The only thing that is bothering me though is getting into gear...I feel it is WAY to hard to do, and it seems that it doesn't even go into 5th.. I don't know what to do.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Oh jeeze! I had forgotten he has a spot on our vendor section. I will ask right now, thank you Central

P.s. Still need some ideas for this horn :D :D

k20maniac

Feb 8, 2009
somewhere
well I just recently got my horn working after about 2 years of not having a horn.

The green wire that goes to the steering wheel with the cruise control wires, that is your horn signal.
What you need to do is connect that wire to the contact surface on the back of the hub. I made a bracket out of a hose clamp and attatched two bolts.

And viola... it works.

oldsking

Mar 19, 2009
Chapel Hill, NC
k20maniac;1828366 said:
well I just recently got my horn working after about 2 years of not having a horn.

The green wire that goes to the steering wheel with the cruise control wires, that is your horn signal.
What you need to do is connect that wire to the contact surface on the back of the hub. I made a bracket out of a hose clamp and attatched two bolts.

And viola... it works.

Happen to have a pic of this set up :)

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Ditto^

As you can see, I tried the paper clip thing, but it didn't work though?

Stupid question but..Does the Ecu need to be connected for the horns to work (lol sounds silly, but hey, i'm just curious as to why it didn't work)

The ecu is out because i'm changing the headgasket.

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
Hey let me know what you did, if you get that shifter fixed. When i bought my car it took all my strength & two hands to get it out of 1st gear...
It's still kind of tough, ive had a couple friends beg to drive the soup & ALL of them have trouble getting it in first (thats the only reason i let them behind the wheel :biggrinbo ) i tell them to start the car & test out the gears before they even attempt to drive & they can't get it into 1st & 3rd & 5th so they can't drive.

As for the horn. all i know is that in the stock setup, when you press the horn button, it grounds some wire & bingo, you get a loud horn. so ground the horn wire, & if that doesn't work your going to have an issue with the horn/s

k20maniac

Feb 8, 2009
somewhere
im not sure if the ecu needs to be put in as the cruise control is part of that whole harness and that is governed by the ecu.... so possibly, you may have to go over the schematics. Ill have a picture up once i get out of work...

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
I know this is kind of old, but I was wondering if anybody had the answer (hopefully with some pics :) ) on how to get my horn working?

Something about one of the wires may need to be grounded? Also, If anyone has a better idea as far as electrical contact goes to power the horn (see first post) please let me know!

Thanks

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
I don't like to keep bumping this thread but, does anyone have any valuable info on a proper setup to actually make this horn work?

Thank you