Horay for college

91blackeye

The Unrequited Song
Jan 18, 2009
Modesto, Ca
www.facebook.com
I have been away for a while, learning things, growing up, living life....I found a 75 280z for sale, paid 100 deposit and went to go get the car only to find the old guy had sold it. he gave me my money back, but i was still a little disappointed. I kept looking for a little z, and could only find the early 240/260 with the r180 rear end, and wasn't interested in dealing with all the trouble of changing a rear end as well as a motor and tranny. At any rate, I was browsing craigslist, and for whatever reason, the search gave me a supra. it was way out of my price range, it was like..8k, for whatever damn reason...

And then my mind was all like..."OH YEAH, SUPRA'S!!!!!"

So here I am. I go pick up the car on the 7th. smogged tagged, registered, clean title, 112k original miles, and only a small oil leak coming from either oil in or out from the turbo. lol. the guy thinks he lost a washer...who knows...I am going to put a MHG as soon as I get it home though, that's for sure. I don't want to mod it to hell...too expensive and un realistic for a junior college student. I do want full megan racing exhaust, a momo steering wheel, cool ass ricer racing seats<lol> gooood coilovers, and a slightly bigger turbo. 320-300 horse and I will be fine. just want a fun DD.

p1654818_1.jpg

87 turbo 5 spd hardtop.

---------- Post added at 05:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 PM ----------

I wanna some how make that grey stripe white, get an 89 spoiler and some front lip, bomex sides, and that sexxxxyyyyy diffuser goin on in the group buy right now....mmmmm

Last edited:

moonburn

Dec 26, 2010
OH
Watch out for those "small oil leaks." I thought my OP gasket leak was going to be a relatively simple fix until I looked in the manual. I stopped by the stealership just to see how brutal it would be since I may not be able to find the 5ish hours it will take to disassemble the entire front of the vehicle. $530. I'm going to be giving it another shot here in a week or two when I can get access to a lift.

Cheers and good luck!

91blackeye

The Unrequited Song
Jan 18, 2009
Modesto, Ca
www.facebook.com
Thanks for the luck, I am sure I will need it. But from what the guy says, he just hasn't hooked up the oil lines going in/from the turbo after he upgraded it. He is in the air force, and hasn't touched the car, hence the reason he is selling it. I guess he is getting shipped out soon, to japan. plans on buying a skyline...whatanass...

but hopeully he is being honest. I want to drive the thing home. So...hopefully I can hook the lines up, keep oil/water in the car on the drive home...it should only be a 2 hour drive max, and it will be in the evening, so I am not too worried about it getting hot...

91blackeye

The Unrequited Song
Jan 18, 2009
Modesto, Ca
www.facebook.com
UPDATE!!

The car has Oregon plates, surprise!!! So...An officer has to verify the vin numbers....hooray. I am going to stll be picking up the car on Friday, but for a much lower price, do the insane hassle I will have at dmv. So...hooray...

Anyway, here are some pics...car is a little beat up, which is...meh...doesn't bug me too much, totally fixable. Going to have it painted right quick, to get rid of the DAMN pinstripes...eugh....

Any comments/advice would be appreciated. thanks

p1657158_1.jpg

p1657158_2.jpg

p1657158_3.jpg

p1657158_4.jpg

p1657158_5.jpg

I am diggin the 89+ steering wheel lol

Last edited:

wills_jdm

Jul 7, 2010
Nevada
awesome i love the car!!! what kinda condition is the steering wheel in that it has now? i would be interested to take it off your hands if its good...

91blackeye

The Unrequited Song
Jan 18, 2009
Modesto, Ca
www.facebook.com
Steering wheel is pretty much brand stinkin' new. Shift boot looks and feels like it's from a trueno lol. I will have engine bay pics up soon.

Any easy tips on how to score about 300 whp guys? the exhaust is 3r racing.

91blackeye

The Unrequited Song
Jan 18, 2009
Modesto, Ca
www.facebook.com
Well, I wont say I am selling it yet.. I do need a steering wheel lol. Horn works, airbag is there. I would trade for the nice momo one they made a while ago....otherwise, I will have no steering wheel on my car! lol.

ask92

That guy.
Nov 17, 2008
Rocklin, CA
Dont worry about 300hp right now ;)...Get the car running like new, THEN start to build it up...But to answer your question, reliably?or only for dyno days?Reliably(also saying your engine is sound internally) youd need to upgrade:
CT turbo trim (or other turbo)
Intercooler
Raise the boost
exhaust
intake
lex AFM

That should give you 300rwhp, but every engine is different.

91blackeye

The Unrequited Song
Jan 18, 2009
Modesto, Ca
www.facebook.com
I would want 300 at the tires every day. :) I plan on just having it painted and whatnot first, build a 7m on the side, and try and drop the motor in over a single weekend, as this is my only car, and I have school 5 days a week...and my gpa sucks a dong right now, so I need to go to all my classes haha. I know the routine, mhg, arp hardware, new rods/pistons, I would like to have it balanced, some mild porting to the head....airflow is key, right?

91blackeye

The Unrequited Song
Jan 18, 2009
Modesto, Ca
www.facebook.com
So, like I keep saying, I go pick up this bucket o' bolts Friday. Guy is asking 1500 obo. I have 1700 to play with, so I COULD give him his asking price.

Buuuuuttttttt...... We are supra owners, and this IS craig's list after all....so...full asking price is so far out the window it IS funny.

My question to you, the rest of the Supra community, is: What would YOU offer to the guy for the car? There are dents, the front fender is jacked to where the door closes kinda wonky...oil leak from the turbo, could be anything- though he swears it doesn't drip much- Oregon tags, and I need to swap exhaust to get it to pass smog...

However, as you can tell, the inside is in pretty great condition, it does have fairly low miles...I wanna say it was under 120k original miles...decent sony stereo...

So Supramaniac's- What would YOU feel is a reasonable offer?