Hooking up Auto tranny to shifting lever (trying to get supra up and running)

SW21

Jan 26, 2011
Othello
I am in the situation where i'm trying to get my supra started from the rebuild. It's been so long since i disconnected everything and my memory isn't there lol. I'm where most of the harness is hooked up and the car has power, I'm currently trying to get my shifter lever hooked up to the tranny. I hooked it up twice and when I went to change gears the lever doesn't move (note: theres not battery in the car just turned the key). What am I doing wrong?

70dreams

MR.I GET IT DONE
Jul 17, 2007
New York, New York, United States
it wont move without a battery in it which means acoupla things :
there is no battery in the car and the switch is electrically operated = it wont move
you didnt connect the the connectors under the shifter = it wont move
your not stepping on the brake and with no battery=it wont move
make sure the tranny switch is ( the selector on the tranny is in the right place -park) in the righ place in relation to the lever in the car
but most importantly put a battery in the car

SW21

Jan 26, 2011
Othello
There's my problem! I don't have the battery in I had yanked it back out when I did this. Thank you!

SW21

Jan 26, 2011
Othello
So i've been fighting my supra trying to hook up the shifter lever to the tranny

What are the 2 things in red circles what goes there?
p1873104_1.jpg

I believe here I have it in park and the shifter lever on park as well and as you can see its way off? Why cant I align the shifter to the tranny?
sm_photo_missing.jpg

p1873104_2.jpg

Something is wrong and for the life of me I cant figure it out, if someone can lead me to the correct direction I'd appreciate it. I've read the repair manual and doesn't really explain anything, I googled and nothing.

SW21

Jan 26, 2011
Othello
It's not that it won't shift, the shifter lever that reaches to selector on the tranny goes off way to forward and the only way I've been able to connect it is if I put the tranny on L then the lever connects, and well I can't shift lower than L so the shifter doesn't move anywhere. Then I put the selector back to park then the lever on the shifter doesn't reach anymore.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
SW21;1854298 said:
There's my problem! I don't have the battery in I had yanked it back out when I did this. Thank you!

Nick M;1873119 said:
It will shift from park if you have a shift over ride button in the upper right.

Just giving you the correct sequence to my comment.

SW21;1873915 said:
It's not that it won't shift, the shifter lever that reaches to selector on the tranny goes off way to forward and the only way I've been able to connect it is if I put the tranny on L then the lever connects, and well I can't shift lower than L so the shifter doesn't move anywhere. Then I put the selector back to park then the lever on the shifter doesn't reach anymore.

You have pictures. Here is the page.

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TSRM/MK3/manual.aspx?S=AT&P=140

The mechanism reaches if the trans is installed correctly with bellhousing bolts and mounts. Don't take this the wrong way, but most threads on here are where the car was not done correctly. Double check everything looking for something that seems irregular.

SW21

Jan 26, 2011
Othello
I thought it was that at first (the battery not being there) but when I redid this the battery was in and still nothing and it's because I wasn't hooking up the mechanism correctly to the trans. Thank you for the link, I'm going to recheck and see why it's not reaching properly, Appreciate it