Hood latch

Smashey

Dec 29, 2010
Grande Prairie
So my hood will not open when i pull the leaver under the dash. The cable is not broken so i can't use plyers. Its a 1990 turbo so the intercooler is in the way of getting underneath. How might i go about doing this? Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Matt

Sent from my GT-I9000M using Tapatalk

WeDgE

Buh-bye 7M...
Jan 2, 2006
Alberta
Sounds like I'm having the same issue. The hood will not "pop up" when you pull the lever. I figure it's an issue with the rubber bumpstops under the hood (have to raise them up).

Smashey

Dec 29, 2010
Grande Prairie
I don't know about that i think the cable just fell out of the slot under the hood. But how can i get it open without the initial popping of the hood?

Smashey

Dec 29, 2010
Grande Prairie
Also Wedge have you been able to get yours open?

Would it be possible to unbolt the hood at the hinges?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Is there no sound or tension on the cable? Usually it unlatches, but doesn't pop, and you hust have to fight with the hood to get it to pop. The latch assembly has a spring to pop it up, has nothing to do with the rubber bumpstops. It's 20 year old grease...

Now if the cable is broken or disconnected, you're going to have to start removing stuff from under the bumper to gain access to the latch (i.e. NOT FUN).

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
Is there any tension when you pull the release? Or does it move easy as pie?
If there is tension, I would get someone to pull the release, and you go to the hood and kinda beat on the hood above the latch. And possibly pry it up with something plastic.

Smashey

Dec 29, 2010
Grande Prairie
There is no tension that's why im going to pull the bumper.

Edit: i have an 87 that had an issue with the release aswel but it had to be played with like mentioned above, and this is totally different.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Do yourself a favor, and be sure the problem is not at the pull handle inside the car FIRST. It's more likely that it would come out of that before it would at the hood end. That's so much easier to fix

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
This happened to me before. Don't know what it was but i pulled out the handle & pulled the cable HARD & popped the hood. So yes make sure the handle isn't the problem.

Smashey

Dec 29, 2010
Grande Prairie
The handle was the first thing i checked and is NOT the problem. And the day before i was under the hood and it looked as if the cable was stretched a tiny bit and not holding onto the latch right. Stupid me i should have put a little more thought before closing the hood

dragracer

GearHead
Oct 31, 2005
Churubusco
Its almost impossible for the cable to come out of the latch.

Unhook the cable from the handle inside and hold cable housing with pliers and pull on cable end with another pair. If cable is stretched, the handle wont pull it enough. Trust me this has happened before.

If that doesnt work, pull lower bumper. Tip, remove the two bolts that hold metal bumper to frame, remove one screw each side bumper cover to fender (up from bottom), the brace for bumper cover by wheel, and two bolts under grills. Then pull as assembly. Way easier than cover only then bumper. Should be able to get to latch without removing upper nose.

Good luck

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Cant pull on teh cable with pliers from the inside? If the cable is not broken it should open.

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
Get another person to push down/pull up gently on the hood while you pull the lever. This will relieve any tension and move the latches ever so slightly which can pop them loose.

Smashey

Dec 29, 2010
Grande Prairie
Problem solved!
The cable had fallen out of the latch assembley under the hood.
I took my car to supra devils shop and put it on the lift, removed a piece of intercooler pipe, and shoved my skinny arm up to the latch assembley and popped it open while getting plenty of cramps. Open the hood reconnect the wire and boom problem solved

madsupra88

BoOoOoST
Sep 17, 2005
Detroit,MI
Im having the same issue, i have my front bumper off/intercooler/ac. I have very good access to the latch. What did you pull on to pop it open. my latch cable was just hanging there so i have to manually pop it to reconnect it.

thanks