Honing a Single Cylinder

CBatstone

Burlington, VT &Wolfeboro
Sep 22, 2006
Vermont
www.thirtythree.org
Hi All, Over the summer I had a valve seat fall out into cyl 2 and trash the piston, fortunately it was only at start-up and the pieces did not go far. The walls are pretty clean, and while I can barely catch a nail on the wall of a scar I believe I should be able to hone some of it out. I rebuilt the engine no more than 12k ago or so and I’d like to prevent another full rebuild if possible because it was running great and I’ve put enough money into this recently.

My Questions Are:

- Using (chromoly?) rings from the NPR piston set, What Grit Stones should I use for the process. I guess I am uncertain what these are made of, but it is the standard NPR pistons. (http://store.driftmotion.com/static/i-npr7m-gtepistonset.php)

- Do I need to do a multi-step process with two different grits?

- My engine was previously balanced. I’d like to balance it again but would need to remove one of the good piston/rods in order to weigh it because there is metal embedded into the bad piston from the seat coming apart. I’d like to know the likelihood of seeing success getting the rings back into the exact position they are in on this sample weight piston or if the risk of not being able to get them in perfect again would not be worth the effort.

Thank you for any advice you can offer. I’m looking to get some honing stones ordered and the process completed this winter so that I can get the motor back together for spring. I’ve never honed before but I built the engine with a friend ourselves several years ago.

Thanks to the Supra community for your continued help. Owning and modifying this car wouldn’t be possible without the people on these forums.

Craig

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...ndustries-Forged-Pistons-INSTALLATION-DETAILS

The rings that come with the Probes are NPR Chrome top ring cast second ring which I believe is identical to the rings supplied with NPR pistons. Check out the link for honing guidlines. You are at minimum going to want to hone all cylinders and install new rings.

At this point you are basically looking at a shortblock rebuild, but lots of the parts are re-usable. In order to hone a cylinder you have to mount the engine in the machine which requires taking the entire engine apart to a bare block. You need to get the block cleaned after honing otherwise all that grit is going to go strait into your bearings and other clearances and make a mess out of a good motor. It sounds like you are considering one of those 3 stone drill autozone special hones, and I dont have any personal experience with them but I have heard nothing but bad things. Even if you were to go this route, the block would need to come apart for cleaning.