Home Depot Post

Jonnymkiii

High Altitude
Mar 31, 2005
Boulder, Co
The only thing other than bolts, nuts and what not that I fabricated from HD is the intake elbow that is located in the fender as it comes into the engine bay. The stock one is a POS and I broke 2 of them until I made something stronger. One of these days I'm going to get hard pipes.

MA717MGTE

boostaholic
Apr 2, 2005
Bristol VA
haha im guilty, my accordian pipe was missing the pipes sticking up.. so 1/2 copper pipe cut to fit and a few other pieces.. might take some photo's to show my quick fixes cause damn dealership couldnt find the hoses on the computer that i needed.

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
scottiedawg66 said:
and people wonder why mkiii owners are always gettin called out for being cheap...
Am I cheap because I can fabricate some parts to work exactly as good or even better than stock. I have a whole bunch of things that I fabricated on another machine. Some ARE talented & can use their innovation to make or improve parts. That is what this thread is about.

You may be talking about butchers. There are people that do use the wrong parts for the wrong applications in a substandard way. Unless you know how talented someone is, you should not throw a blanket statement & say that all people that have used their imaginations are butchers, cheap, or have performed substandard work.

Don't be so hasty to say that they are doing it to be cheap. For all you know it is a better fix/mod than stock.

Here is some of my work:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Tony9RR/72.jpg
See the rear fender/license plate backing. I made that out of sheet metal that came from a hardware store. I had a machinist bend a section of sheet metal to my specs, then I riveted it to my machine. Better than any fender I have ever seen.

Here I describe how to decrease tank vibration by buying door edge guards from an auto parts store to replace the stock grommets that become useless quick. My method also keeps the edge from getting scratched up in the process.
http://www.cbrforum.com/m_5534/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm#5629

btw, here is the level of craftsmanship that I perform at:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v519/Tony9RR/Blackk.jpg
I guess I am still a cheap butcher in your eyes though because I can fabricate things, & I fit in your blanket statement as cheap.

PS: I hate to bring up the other machine but my car is not done yet, so all I can show you is another machine from the same producer (me). After all, I am the one in question (I was one of the people that posted earlier), not my car.

also, I am saying all this as a FELLOW MEMBER only & not as a mod.

EDIT: I will make a list of things that I come up with as far as the car goes when I complete that huge project.

also my targa removal tool is still with me but I use a ratcheting screw driver for that task from Home Depot. I think it makes the job easier & quicker.

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
Just stressing that I would have said what I did in any situation.
& that he is welcome to respond to me as a fellow member if he wishes.
Just a friendly mention, outofstep. Don't over analyze it.

Possibly, a mod could have said some of what I did as far as to keep things diplomatic and restore the thread back to it's original purpose. After all, it is a false to make a blanket statement and call members who are fabricators or innovators cheap just because they buy from some sources (as many members on this thread posted).

scottiedawg66

Apr 1, 2005
Bay Area Ca
haha u are mad Tony, and thanks for proving what a fantastic fabricator you are Tony, your work looks nice. I was mostly poking fun at lam because of the obvious humor associated with a ferrari knock off, which IMO are the dumbest things ever with home depot under the hood. Not to mention the classic divorced exhaust leak downpipe he "fabricated".

I almost forgot that im being a hypocrite tho, i did get MDF silicone, and wood scews to make a sub box. Also im the cheapest person in the world, just ask Ckanderson!

owned by my self i guess?

~scott

G

gotboost$

My freind and I built a custom intake for his police interceptor crown victoria out of $15 worth of drainage piping/fittings...

used their saw in the store when they wern't looking... jb welded it to the K&N in the parking lot in the rain...

ran like a motha f&#(... till he "drifted" into a tree in the best buy parking lot and hit the Blockbuster side glass.... damn open diff

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
scottiedawg66 said:
haha u are mad Tony...
haha no. I am not mad at you. I am just open to new ideas as many of us are. I just want to be able to hear what some may have to say about new things. If I don't speak up (which I always do), they will shy away & keep their new ideas to themselves. I want people to be able to share ideas with out the fear of being flamed. Having an open mind allows you to get more information from people & allows people to share more info with you. One fellow in the chat room was telling me & two others amazing things that he never would mention in the forums because he knew how people would react. I'll just say that the topic was about the engine. Had he told posted it, some questions that I came up with would have been answered by the wealth of information that this forum has. Instead, I am just wondering.
About Lam, it is old news to hear how much people hate his car. I think most of the regulars heard it 1000 times already. It is really pointless. That guy does love his car & treats it real good. It is his car, what he does to it is his business as I see it. Live & let live.

EDIT:
now please keep the ideas coming :)

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
There is absoloutely nothing wrong with being cheap and fabricating. It all comes from there NOT being the part or mod available to the general public. So what happens? Someone fabs up the part themselves and cures the problem. Sure,there are alot of of other parts available with HK$ logo's all over them,but then you just blend in with everyone else and that's not what being different is about. Most of those parts are for newer models,or someone with deep pockets who does not know what satisfaction is gotten from making something yourself and having it work as good if not better than stock for a hell of alot less. What parts are Home Base buys on my car? Dam near everything that I can't find on-line. Am I cheap? You bet your ass I am.

csr ma71

rooftop sniper
Apr 2, 2005
bay area
www.angelfire.com
It's all about innovation. Everyone calls everything "rice" so easily no one is willing to esperiment and try anything new. Everything is so safe and pedestrian.

Like one lumber company, the government outlawed a type of tree that they always used. So they end up using other trees and mixing it up to create a stronger type of lumber than the outlawed one. If the government hadn't passed legislation, the company wouldn't have needed to innovate.

Ckanderson

Supramania Contributor
Apr 1, 1983
The beach
:icon_razz
scottiedawg66 said:
I almost forgot that im being a hypocrite tho, i did get MDF silicone, and wood scews to make a sub box. Also im the cheapest person in the world, just ask Ckanderson!

owned by my self i guess?

~scott

I have met cheaper mk3 owners then you Scott. but not by much! :icon_razz:

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
Since you guys like Home Depot fabrications so much, I just remembered one more thing I got from the Home Depot: wood!
2x4 & 2x6 select treated! The best money can buy! Spare no expense.
Then you cut sections by templates you make from the wing mounting surfaces.
Then drill them.
Belt sand them.
Resin coat coat them.
Prime, paint, & clear them.

They make the car look oh so much more sporty! IMO
& faster too!
for sale, $100 lol
sm_photo_missing.jpg
p7166_1.jpg
p7166_2.jpg