Holset turbos new on ali barba

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
Hi guys, after researching Holsets for a little while now i decided to try and source a HX40 for a future build. After asking at local truck wreckers and finding out how much they wanted i decided to see how much for a new unit and came across these.
http://cnautoparts.en.alibaba.com/p.../SINOTRUK_HOWO_TRUCK_PARTS_TURBO_CHARGER.html
Has anyone bought from this site before or is it just another dodgy junk seller.Sorry if this has been asked before.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
I've found a company that claims to be a manufacturer of Holset and can sell a one of turbo for a trial basis for roughly $270.If you buy in more than certain amounts of units the price drops dramatically.
Will do some further investigating and post up any replies i hear from the company.
If they are genuine i may order a few and see how they sell, in Australia the Holset turbos are quite dear.

---------- Post added at 07:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:43 AM ----------

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/241956293/Holset_turbocharger_HX40W_4049368_4051323_A_.html
This is the company i'm trying to get information on at the moment.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
MDCmotorsports;1707953 said:
Those are chinese copies. The only people who make holsets are holset.

That's the answer i was looking for.! I thought that Holset may have have used cheaper labour to manufacture there product as i can't understand how the company claims to be a genuine Holset product. I will send off an email to Holset with that link.
Thank you MDC.

---------- Post added at 07:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 AM ----------

Just did some more research and Holset actually do have a manufacturing plant in China. So they may not be fake. Further research is needed.

---------- Post added at 07:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 AM ----------

Cummins Turbo Technologies' headquarters is in Huddersfield, England, while their U.S. based headquarters is located in Memphis Tennessee. There are six manufacturing plants located around the world including the USA, Brazil, the United Kingdom, China, and India. The newest plant just opened in 2006 in Charleston, South Carolina with a manufacturing capacity of 200,000 units per year to support the growing demand for turbochargers in North America.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
So after more research i found the Holset counterfeit page which is a good read for the less knowledgeable(cough cough myself)
http://www.myholsetturbo.com/counterfeiting.html
After a comparison with the pictures supplied by the site i'm still not convinced either way.
http://hubeihaojing.en.alibaba.com/...charger_Holset_turbocharger_HX35_3539697.html
If they are a copy they are a damn good one.lol. Sent off a email to the Holset headquarters with a link to there site regarding my suspicions and will post up there reply.

Mk3Les

Keep up the good work Pete, care to give us a hint as to what you have planed for a future build ? also after owning a "copy" turbo I dont think Id buy another one, my t04z "copy" is fine but there were little things that had to be done to make it right which I didnt like having to do. Also keep an eye out on the Boostcruising forums Holsets come up on there from time to time.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
Thanks Les.! I have the original turbo-a engine under wraps and will start getting bits machined soon. I won't be doing a mark 3 but will likely do a road registered off road toyota styleside ute/pickup. The 7m works very well in the thick sand or mud.

wiseco7mgt

dirty mechanic
Aug 12, 2007
queensland
Thanks MDC, i have gathered they must be after emailing them for further information regarding there authenticity and not hearing anything back.
I emailed Holset at there email addy for reporting fake sellers and as yet have not had a reply, would've liked to have them at least acknowledge my email but they have probably have bigger fish to fry.
I will not be buying a Holset from any one not on there recommended sellers list, I think people need to be extra cautious when buying a second hand unit as well as these fakes seem fairly well copied.
If i receive any info from Holset themselves i will post up.

---------- Post added at 01:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 PM ----------

Thanks MDC, i have gathered they must be after emailing them for further information regarding there authenticity and not hearing anything back.
I emailed Holset at there email addy for reporting fake sellers and as yet have not had a reply, would've liked to have them at least acknowledge my email but they probably have bigger fish to fry.
I will not be buying a Holset from any one not on there recommended sellers list, I think people need to be extra cautious when buying a second hand unit as well as these fakes seem fairly well copied.
If i receive any info from Holset themselves i will post up.