Holset HE351VE (No 56k and tons of pictures)

Status
Not open for further replies.

gennro

Mar 12, 2008
Alamogordo, NM
MDCmotorsports;1559252 said:
Need some video. Also, have you hooked up an RPM gauge on the turbine / compressor wheel?

No, I haven't. I thought about it but I decided not to because the vanes open pretty quickly so I'm not to worried about blowing it up. With the 8psi actuator and the restrictor inline it opens up really nicely and smooth. This is working out a lot simpler then you thought it was going to. If it opened to fast I was going to add a spring to it but I don't need to.

Freshmaker

Feb 3, 2007
Oconomowoc, Wi
Why Is this in the 7m section? I hardly ever look here, but this is a fun post!

Gennro, why don't you control that thing with your Megasquirt? It would give you more control and tune-ability and it shouldn't be to hard

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
gennro;1559007 said:
Also just to let anyone that wants to attempt this it takes a lot of fabrication to get this massive turbo to fit under the hood.

Not when it's sitting next to that tiny motor of yours. :sarcasm:

Seriously though, if you're getting full spool before 4K on a 1j with that big ass turbo you're doing something right.

gennro

Mar 12, 2008
Alamogordo, NM
Suprapowaz!(2);1560893 said:
Not when it's sitting next to that tiny motor of yours. :sarcasm:

Seriously though, if you're getting full spool before 4K on a 1j with that big ass turbo you're doing something right.

Yeah, now I can't wait to go to the dyno so I can get some fine tuning done. Can only do so much on the street for timing. Fuel is easy since I am running Megasquirt with Tunerstudio doing to the automatic tuning of the fuel. I have an EGT guage and have been keeping the EGTs under 1500 degrees F.

gennro

Mar 12, 2008
Alamogordo, NM
Freshmaker;1560887 said:
Why Is this in the 7m section? I hardly ever look here, but this is a fun post!

Gennro, why don't you control that thing with your Megasquirt? It would give you more control and tune-ability and it shouldn't be to hard

Have no idea why it is in 7MGTE Tech. I was thinking of controling it with MS but decided to keep it simple for now and seems to be working fine. Maybe later on I'll add in a solenoid to control when the actuator sees boost by using one of the spare outputs of the MS2.

Freshmaker

Feb 3, 2007
Oconomowoc, Wi
gennro;1561606 said:
Have no idea why it is in 7MGTE Tech. I was thinking of controling it with MS but decided to keep it simple for now and seems to be working fine. Maybe later on I'll add in a solenoid to control when the actuator sees boost by using one of the spare outputs of the MS2.

Thats a good way to go. It seems to me the way you have it now will be alright for assisting in spool, but its going to be a restriction while cruising.

I havn't played around with megasquirt for a couple years, can you write your own auto-tuning code? It sure would be fun to set up some learning code for best spool time :)

gennro

Mar 12, 2008
Alamogordo, NM
Freshmaker;1561781 said:
Thats a good way to go. It seems to me the way you have it now will be alright for assisting in spool, but its going to be a restriction while cruising.

I havn't played around with megasquirt for a couple years, can you write your own auto-tuning code? It sure would be fun to set up some learning code for best spool time :)

I'm sure you could on the MS but I'm not that smart. Yeah during cruising it kinda makes the EGTs real high, but I do have a way to adjust the vanes so they don't close down all the way.
I would like to find a dual chamber actuator like an external wastegate so I can have vacuum on one end to open up the veins during cruise then the other side to open the veins under boost.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
tissimo;1561622 said:
Lol, this is a joke right? Unless you mean positive pressure pre throttle..

No not at all. Some of the VGT systems can see up to 5-9lbs of pressure in the manifold at idle. Although on a diesel, have seen one idle (500-800rpm) @ 4 psi on the boost gauge.

Freshmaker

Feb 3, 2007
Oconomowoc, Wi
You could use an output of the mega squirt to control a standard vacuum/boost solenoid that's going to your current setup. Then you would only apply vaccum to your actuator over a certain % throttle (changed in mega squirt)

I still vote for a fully adjustable setup when you have the time/patience :)

gennro

Mar 12, 2008
Alamogordo, NM
See I would like to be able to have the vanes wide open while cruising and when you push the throttle more then 50% it closes the vanes and then slowly open back up as boost increases then once it doesn't see boost anymore for like 2 to 5 seconds open back up to 100% while in cruise. But I need some sort of pneumatic actuator and a accumaltor to store pressure from the turbo in it or some sort of electric/mechanical actuator.

jmcboost

Mar 31, 2005
Missouri
whitemike;1562174 said:
This shit makes my brain hurt.. :)

HAHA!!! Same here. But it sounds like the payoff could be very nice. I like the idea and would like to know more on the setup and see more guys go this route. How much are these turbos used?

Status
Not open for further replies.