Holset H1E on a 7m?

Mk3Les

Ive been offered a Holset H1E turbo at a pretty good price and I'm just wondering if it would work on my 7m. Ive searched and cant find much if any info on them. Does anyone have any info on them? from what Ive been able to find out about them is the exhaust housing is pretty big so it would take a fair bit to get it to spool and thats not really what I want. What I do have is an old garrett t04e sitting here and if the exhaust housing could be made to fit it may just work.

post-52416-12232916092028383117_thumb.jpg

Any help would be great.
Thanks
Les

Last edited:

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Wow, shrink the picture please. I will be running a very similar turbo on my 1jz, the HX35w. MDC has a bit of first hand knowledge about these on the 7m. It has a t3 flange on it, and the wastegate port needs to be welded shut, or you need to adapt another wastegate actuator to it (I recomend one from ATP, I was going to do that untill I got my external gate). Very responsive turbo, but be warned, it hits like a freight train.

BTW, GL getting a garrett back half to work with the holset turbo. If you want good spool, make or have made a twinscroll manifold, and you will pick up some spool.

Mk3Les

foreverpsycotic;1192837 said:
Wow, shrink the picture please. I will be running a very similar turbo on my 1jz, the HX35w. MDC has a bit of first hand knowledge about these on the 7m. It has a t3 flange on it, and the wastegate port needs to be welded shut, or you need to adapt another wastegate actuator to it (I recomend one from ATP, I was going to do that untill I got my external gate). Very responsive turbo, but be warned, it hits like a freight train.

BTW, GL getting a garrett back half to work with the holset turbo. If you want good spool, make or have made a twinscroll manifold, and you will pick up some spool.

LOL, I'll try to make the pics smaller,
From what I understand the HX35w is the one to go for but I just havent found one. As I said the H1E was offered to me at a really good price $150 Aust dollars so that would make it about $5.50 US dollars with the currant exchange rate :)
I dont think I'm going to go with this Holset just because there is too much unknown about it, I think I'm just going to go with the t04e it's a known turbo and I know I'll get results.
Thanks for the advice though.

foreverpsycotic

Back in the game!
Jul 16, 2006
ATL
Honestly talk to MDC. The Holset turbos are amazing pieces of machenery. Jon can give you all the information you will need for this project.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
The H1e is a dinosaur in the Holset World.

Look for the following if you're actually serious of making some power and fun with a Holset.

Listed is from the smallest quickest spooling, to the largest slowest spooling Holset:

-Hy35
-Hx35
-He351cw (Spools faster than the hx35, but makes the same power)
-Hx40
-Hx45
-Hx50/52 or 55
-Hx60 (Notice I didn't say HT60)

The hy35's and the he351cw's are now known as a "poor mans" gt35R.

Let me tell you - the kick like a mule and make plenty of power.

The rebuild parts are readily available, and they are pretty easy to find.

You'll need to make sure your Holset doesn't see over around 55psi of oil at WOT, and you'll need an external wastegate, 38mm or larger.

If you need more help, EMAIL me.

Mk3Les

MDCmotorsports;1200820 said:
The H1e is a dinosaur in the Holset World.

Look for the following if you're actually serious of making some power and fun with a Holset.

Listed is from the smallest quickest spooling, to the largest slowest spooling Holset:

-Hy35
-Hx35
-He351cw (Spools faster than the hx35, but makes the same power)
-Hx40
-Hx45
-Hx50/52 or 55
-Hx60 (Notice I didn't say HT60)

The hy35's and the he351cw's are now known as a "poor mans" gt35R.

Let me tell you - the kick like a mule and make plenty of power.

The rebuild parts are readily available, and they are pretty easy to find.

You'll need to make sure your Holset doesn't see over around 55psi of oil at WOT, and you'll need an external wastegate, 38mm or larger.

If you need more help, EMAIL me.

Mate thanks for the info, I did end up passing on that turbo because there just wasnt enough info on it and I honestly didnt think it would work for me. I like the sound of the hy35's so I'll keep looking and see what I can find.
Thanks again.
Les

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
For Future Reference JOHN (Mdc) Can you edit your post with how much RWHP is each turbo is capable of with supporting mods and the wheel size PLEASE? Just so that we can have a good idea of the power of each turbo thank s .

loveofcars

Feb 14, 2009
new jersey
i remeber seeing a thread o here a while agobefor i had a account about holset turbos. well anyway i love holsets. super cheap and will handle anythin you will throw at it. sometimes handle more than your motor..lol

MDCmotorsports

SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
MDCmotorsports;1200820 said:

-Hy35, flows approx 57 lbs/min
-Hx35, flows approx 60.85 lbs/min
-He351cw (Spools faster than the hx35, but makes the same power) flows approx 60.85 lbs/min
-Hx40, flows approx 70.10 lbs/min
-Hx45 (can't find the flow at this time)
-Hx50/52 or 55. flows approx 99.20 lbs/min
-Hx60 (Notice I didn't say HT60), flows approx 125.66 lbs/min
-Hx82, flows approx 198.42 lbs/min

wardog;1242617 said:
For Future Reference JOHN (Mdc) Can you edit your post with how much RWHP is each turbo is capable of with supporting mods and the wheel size PLEASE? Just so that we can have a good idea of the power of each turbo thank s .

Done.

MDCmotorsports

SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
FullNelson;1257143 said:
Are the Holsets any different in rebuilding from the CT26 in the manner that it would have to be sent out to have the asembelies balanced?

Most of the Holsets are part balanced.... The comp wheel and turbine wheel & shaft are balanced separate.

You should be able to rebuild any Holset without having the entire assembly sent out IF the wheels do not have damage or rub marks in the housing(s).

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
Interesting idea.. I like :)
So the basic mods to being able to run a holset turbo is running a smaller exhaust side housing and wheel? cutoms mani, and external wg. A how to on this or more in depth discussion would be awesome.
Id like to learn more about this as would others more then likely. ;)

RockPaperSwoRD

I have aCustom User Title
Jul 26, 2008
SanAntonio
ChrisC;1302628 said:
Interesting idea.. I like :)
So the basic mods to being able to run a holset turbo is running a smaller exhaust side housing and wheel? cutoms mani, and external wg. A how to on this or more in depth discussion would be awesome.
Id like to learn more about this as would others more then likely. ;)

the dsm crowd has TONS of info on this, im planning on doing a hx40 on my 1jzDSC00028.JPG

DSC00027.JPG

all you really need is a t3 manifold or a t3/t4 adapter and you need to weld the wastegae flap shut on the holset OR get a custom housing called a BEP hosuing that comes in .55AR or .70AR and 3" v band exhaust :icon_razz i plan on getting the latter as the turbine housing that came on my hx40 is 18cm, to big and supposedly spools mid 4k

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Jan 19, 2006
ALTON, TX
Hi what vehicle does the hx40 and hx35 come out of ? Im starting a holset setup and its between those 2 and the he351.