HKS TEMS Controller wiring

SupraTrbo89

Sep 21, 2006
West Chester, PA
Just picked up an HKS TEMS Controller and had a few questions. I realize most people do not own one of these so I'm not sure how much help I am going to get.

One pic is of the TEMS controller. There were 2 different faces for the controller. This is the newer one. There were also two different versions of this controller, one which power was supplied by plugging in the harness at the passenger kick panel and one which you need to splice into the red and black wire used by the stock tems buttons at the buttons location. Not sure how power is supplied here. The cars year mattered (I believe 90 - 92 had power from the loom no matter what)

One pic is of the entire harness. The long black wire casing has never been removed as it doesn't come apart. The shorter fat black wire cover I removed as it did come apart to inspect the items below. One thing to note is there is no ground wire at the harness plug end.

One pic is two blue connectors that I believe were added after the fact and are attached to the end where the controller buttons are. One wire is black which I think is a ground and the other black and white one I think is power. There should be a ground wire at the other end of the harness that would be grounded down in the passenger side kick panel but its not there. I am wondering if the ground was brought up the harness to one of the blue connectors. Just not sure how connecting the black wire with the black and white one would make sense. I'm also not sure how the ground could have been moved as the black casing would have had to have been removed to do this.

One pic shows a black and white wire that was cut at one time and crimped back together and snapped or cut again. Not sure how this wire would get snapped like this down in the kick panel underneath a black wire loom cover which I removed to find this. Maybe this wire was left cut on purpose and has something to do with the 2 connectors up top. I can't trace it back up the loom as it does not come apart unless I cut it off.

Lastly 2 blue wires are joined together. Not sure why this was done. Does this appear stock to anyone?

One pic shows a blue and yellow wire spliced together (I took the duck tape off and it is using the same style clamp to join the wires and seen previously. Once again not sure why this was done.

If anyone has any insight that would be great. I will move forward with the install using a nice write-up I found on the forum and see if it powers up. I will reconnect the black and white wire which appears to have been cut before connecting the harness. My goal is to not keep plugging and unplugging the harness while I mess with the wires as I don't want to break anything.

Tim

20170812_164457.jpg20170812_164404.jpg20170812_164416.jpg20170812_164434.jpg20170812_164324.jpg

SupraTrbo89

Sep 21, 2006
West Chester, PA
Also my Car is an 89+ which makes a difference.

I just read some more old threads on this....I now think the two blue connectors do not go together but are used to tap into the black and white wire (power) and black wire (ground) used by the stock buttons......so Ill have to cut into the stock wires and add similar connectors to it.

SupraTrbo89

Sep 21, 2006
West Chester, PA
I cant find where the HKS TEMS controller connects....I removed everything, glove box, side trim , carpet, center console, passenger side seat, etc.......the pics below show was I am seeing....i was on my back with a flash light and see nothing.

Side note, looking at the cars ecu i see splicing and other shit going on....guessing due to the JDM motor install from previous owner. Wonder if it was relocated somewhere else. There is also spicing at the original TEMS buttons. for the black/red wire. I tried tracing this back and its included in a ire loom that runs behind the dash. I dont see any wires crossing back over under the carpet.

Pics below:

The ABS is the only thing that remotely looks close.

1st pic is upside down under the dash. 2nd pic is the white connectors on the ABS unit (not sure why I'm including this b/c i know its not right)

20170813_160930.jpg20170813_160940.jpg

SupraTrbo89

Sep 21, 2006
West Chester, PA
Thanks, yes I have that printed out and is what I'm using for the install. There is a junction for the TEMS somewhere in the passenger side kick panel which joins the TEMS controller buttons and the TEMS computer in the trunk. This is where you tap in the hks controller. It's #5 on the first page of the Bible you posted.

SupraTrbo89

Sep 21, 2006
West Chester, PA
Found that shit.......so the ECT panel does not exist on my car unless it is simply a cover that some one took off and lost. Below are pics of the connector I am looking for that appears to be plugged into "possibly" a ghetto junction box added by someone??

20170813_202726.jpg20170813_202207.jpg20170813_201954.jpg

I will plug it in tomorrow and see if I get power. The two blue connectors for the ground and power wires that were added to my harness may have been needed for a pre 89 supra so I'm hoping I dont need them and get power from the loom.

SupraTrbo89

Sep 21, 2006
West Chester, PA
4U2QUIK;2094991 said:
GROUND HOOP GOES ON THE CHASIS, the black wire with the white stripe goes to the tems control positive wire at the switch.
That's preety much all it takes unless someone cut the harness.

computer is behind the passenger side kick panel behind a bracket.

So mine does not have the ground loop. On the harness by the buttons I have a black wire with a spade connector to it and also the black and white wire with a spade connector on it (2nd pic in my 1st post). These are my power and ground. I am going to cut the spade connector off and add a loop for the ground. I will also cut the spade off the black and white wire and tap that into the black and red wire for power to the buttons.

My only ???? is why is my black and white power wire cut on my HKS harness down at the other end where it plugs into the kick panel (4th pic I posted in my 1st post). I wonder if its not needed if I am getting power by tapping into the stock wire up by the buttons.

I will mess with this later tonight when I get home from work.

SupraTrbo89

Sep 21, 2006
West Chester, PA
It's Alive!!!!!!!!!

Firm locked in. So I know it works and you can hear the TEMS clicking back in the cargo area when you connect the 12V. I just need to get a loop connector for the ground wire tomorrow and put everything back together.

20170814_230947.jpg20170814_230943.jpg

SupraTrbo89

Sep 21, 2006
West Chester, PA
Piratetip;2095005 said:
Where did you manage to find one of these controllers anyway?

On this forum about 3 months ago someone was selling the HKS controller and Eibachs with Tokico Illuminas. I bought all of it as a package. Cant wait to get the Tokicos and springs installed next.

I have seen these on Ebay every now and then. There is also a Blitz TEMS controller which is even more rare. Although I believe this controller can also change ride height on JDM Toyota Crowns and Soarers.

Last edited:

SupraTrbo89

Sep 21, 2006
West Chester, PA
Piratetip;2095047 said:
Nice!
Glad to see someone keeping these old HKS pieces alive.

Yea, it makes a big difference to keep the car locked in at firm while cruising the back roads near my house. I cant wait to install the Tokico/ Eibach setup in the next month or so to see how that feels. I am aware coil overs from a handling/track perspective are better than TEMS but I don't drag or auto cross the car. I want to keep it original while making it more fun to drive.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Agreed, you are lucky find a full set of Illumina's.

I only managed to find 3, still looking for 1 NIB...

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
4U2QUIK;2095107 said:
I may have an extra illumina 2 laying around.
I also have an extra hks tems controller for sale....

You have 1 front NIB?