HKS fcon/gcc/vpc combo -- fcon switch/option out not working?

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Syracuse, New York, United States
Got alphabet soup all running, runs good so far. Short story: the gain knob on the vpc works, the option out knob does not. SW2 in the fcon is set to 0, setting it to 1-9 runs it a bit leaner but there is no difference between any of those. Option out wire from VPC, when hooked up to the fcon, does the same thing...knob doesn't work, 1-9 there isn't any change. Currently have it on 0.

Long story: bit of a mess because I bought everything separately, so it's probably a wiring issue.

FCON was installed first, then a FCD. I then bought a GCC with a patch harness for the FCON, that worked fine as well. I bought the VPC a while ago and just got around to installing it this weekend (thanks Gordon!).

Now: The VPC is spliced into the FCON harness using the HKS splice connectors. The GCC wires are NOT hooked up to the VPC, they are still in the patch harness to the FCON. HKS docs say this shouldn't be the case. 5 wires on the VPC connector side, and 5 wires out of the GCC...but the colors don't match up so I don't know what the hell to do there anyways.

When I hooked the option out wire up to the FCON from the VPC I had to depin the yellow wire from the GCC patch harness (going to the GCC) and slip the brown option out wire in. As I said before, made no difference.

Everything else is hooked up as it should be, and everything else is working fine so I'm thinking it's just this GCC not being hooked up to the VPC...but before moving any wires I'd like to know the colors and why it won't work this way, but will work the other way.

Thanks for any input!

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Technically I could get a MAP ECU but I'd feel stupid not ever getting this combo to work correctly after spending the time I did on it. That's down the road, I just bought the HKS stuff because it was entry level 'tuning' and cheaper than some other stuff.

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia
If the entry level tuning is inconsistent, is it worth the chance to risk your engine? Just my .02

I'm going from a bone stock 7mgte to a 7mgte with a ct2657 and AEM v1 because I don't want to change a little bit here and there. I want complete and full tuning capabilities, not to mention deleting that annoying ass AFM is a bonus too.

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
I'm typing from my cell phone.

This combo has been out and working since the early ninety's . I am consistent he means it jumps around half a point of afr, it is not engines threatening at all.

if I read correctly the map ecu does not remove the AFM?

I am thinking if I plug the gcc into the vpc that will work correctly. Anyone know what colors go to which other colors? They aren't the same.

This voice to text sucks.

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Can't find any quick documentation saying it cones with an iat sensor, or if it just converts the afm signal.

Regardless, I don't see why you're posting as you aren't familiar with what I'm using ob the least, nor are you answering my question.

natedogr

Sep 12, 2006
Chatham, Va
I've got the exact same setup, fcon+vpc+gcc. My gcc is plugged in to the vpc. What wire colors are you asking for? my vpc has a gcc specific plug on it so there wasn't any splicing or anything. Do you have a pre or post 89?

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Pre 89...my VPC has a gcc specific plug as well, however the plug on the gcc was removed (for whatever reason) and its wired into a patch harness to work with the FCON. Luckily, the female/male pins on the GCC are still in tact so worst case scenario, I can de-pin the VPC connector and tape everything together, best case I could find a replacement connector (or a connector pair that fits similar pins) and plug them in.

Colors from the VPC: white, black, red, orange, brown.
Colors from the GCC: white, black, red, green, yellow.

Mind taking a glance at yours and matching them up? Thanks by the way!

Mike Morris

May 4, 2008
MD/DC
I have an 88 with the same stuff on it. Ill look tomorrow for you and I bought the harnesses with the kits new

I love my combo and never ever had any problems with it. So many kids said trash it,dirty signal blah blah-runs great in any weather and is consistant when I bracket race it. Been running it since 2001.

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Thanks, sounds good! Don't see what else my problem would be if everything is wired correctly, this has to be it.

I've heard the signal on it isn't perfect, I plan on running it at a safe/rich level anyways so I'm not worried.

Oy, Indigo! I was more pissed that my voice-to-text wasn't working, and then typing on my cell was hard because the screen was dirty (all while driving, oops), my bad if I snapped at you.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I was wondering why you went with the HK$ set up over the MAFT-Pro. I am not telling you that you are wrong, don't misunderstand. I still have a Lex meter myself.

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Ack, didn't get e-mails that there were new posts.

Nick: That's actually a good question...I think originally I was enticed by the plug-n-play aspect of the HKS FCON and snagged one at a good price, and then figured I'd just complete the trio.

mstgeer: I used a plastic fitting I got from home depot, Watts PL-3004 (link here on a bit of a discussion on it: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?135226-HKS-VPC-Temp-Probe-Mod&) and then drilled/tapped a hole into the 3000 pipe where I screwed the fitting in. I tapped the inside of the fitting with a 6x1.0mm tap and screwed the temp probe into the fitting. For the hole in the 3000 pipe I used a Q drill bit and a 1/8 NPT tap. I'll take a pic tonight/tomorrow if you'd still like one.

mstgeer

SideWinderGX;1800248 said:
Ack, didn't get e-mails that there were new posts.

Nick: That's actually a good question...I think originally I was enticed by the plug-n-play aspect of the HKS FCON and snagged one at a good price, and then figured I'd just complete the trio.

mstgeer: I used a plastic fitting I got from home depot, Watts PL-3004 (link here on a bit of a discussion on it: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?135226-HKS-VPC-Temp-Probe-Mod&) and then drilled/tapped a hole into the 3000 pipe where I screwed the fitting in. I tapped the inside of the fitting with a 6x1.0mm tap and screwed the temp probe into the fitting. For the hole in the 3000 pipe I used a Q drill bit and a 1/8 NPT tap. I'll take a pic tonight/tomorrow if you'd still like one.

Thanks so much, that is exactly the info I was looking for. Any potential issues with installing the probe in the back of the manifold? I have the HKS 3000 pipe and do not really want to drill a hole in it.

I don't have the gcc or I would post up the wire layout for you, sorry.

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
Umm, not that I know of. Its metric thread instead of pipe thread so it won't thread in very well but its close enough that it will work. I heard that it wasn't wise to put the temp probe after the throttle body, but a few people have and they haven't had any problems with it...temp is temp.

natedogr

Sep 12, 2006
Chatham, Va
Sorry for the delay. The plug wires that come off my GCC are yellow, red, black, green, and white. The plug on the VPC has a brown, red, white, orange, and black. So together they go yellow to brown, red to red, white to white, green to orange, and black to black. Hope this helps.

SideWinderGX

Aug 8, 2007
No worries, I actually contacted a third party who has all the HKS equipment in his car and he verified the wiring as well...matches up with what you have.

So then after it not working and running around trying to figure out if my chip is OK or not, Mr. Duax informs me that BOTH pressure sensors need to be hooked up, and that the FCON/VPC doesn't 'share' the feedback from each other. Which might be my problem :p