hks fcd extremely lean. help!

bigshooter44

Feb 22, 2012
new york
just installed the hks fcd and i cannot get it out of lean condition. first trip down the road the afr didn't even read... pulled over and adjusted it as far as it could go and it was reading upwards of 15-17 afr. i,m about to rip it out. not driving it again until this is fixed..

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
What the FCD does is basically clamp the AFR signal so that it cannot read past a certain amount, effectively telling the ECU that there is never more airflow than this. It is supposed to be set to somewhere very near where fuel cut happens.

With this, lean WILL happen. It's more dangerous the higher the airflow/power level that it's at when it happens.

I would recommend that you pull it out, wire the ECU up like it's not there, and run without.

bigshooter44

Feb 22, 2012
new york
i thought it was going to be much safer than this... i just pulled it out and it is still running extremely lean. i get to 3k rpm and its at 17afr..... im baffled now

bigshooter44

Feb 22, 2012
new york
AEM uego. im baffled at the fact that it drove fine this morning, i put the hks in and its lean as a muther fucker. take it back out and re connect everything and its still un-drivably lean...

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
Pull codes. Check Vf signal while it's running that lean.

If there are codes, fix what's wrong. I would probably check O2 sensor, Injectors/Injector wiring, and AFM/AFM wiring in any case.

If there are no codes and your Vf signal reads normal, then check the wideband. Something running at 16-17:1 AFRs should have other telltales if it's running that lean.

Edit: Oh yeah. Once you're done fixing things, THEN reset the ECU, which will erase it's learned fuel trim value, which will be bad if you've had problems with the AFM, ECU or injectors.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
First order of Business...

Get HKS FCD, put in your nearest trash bin. Do not ever install in your supra again.

With that done. Now check ALL your wiring. More than likely the crimps are crap. So inspect that. Probably solder them together. Avoid using crimpers from NAPA autoparts. ;)

IndigoMKII

May 9, 2011
Madison, Virginia

bigshooter44

Feb 22, 2012
new york
sorry it took so long, its been a busy week at work. ::shrug:: did a little poking around with the multimeter and found out the heater circuit in my o2 sensor is fried.. any idea where i can find a bolt on o2 sensor for a jdm 2jz-gte? apparently there hard to come by..