HKS external gate issue

MA70AEROTOP

Sep 24, 2008
Perth
hello guys

Have an issue with external waste gate. currenty ive got it setup as side port to boost controller to Comp housing. ive also tried top and side port(2ndtry) TEEed off to boost controller then comp hosing. PROBLEM 1 current setup it will not go past 7psi! no matter what I do to boost controller(MANUAL one). and when I tried it with top and side port teed off to boost controller it boosts +20psi NOT GOOD ive included a pic of the same gate ive got!

Attachments

• wastegate..jpg
    wastegate..jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 15

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Boost reference with a manual controller goes to side port. The top port is for electronic controllers that hold the gate closed to help with spool.

The side port when pressurized opens the gate the top port holds it closed.

Is your controller a ball valve style or a air bleed style? A picture of the controller will help.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Then its not bleeding enough air. Only getting 7psi means the wastegate is working as the spring pressure is ~7psi. At least it was on my replica. Open the boost controller valve so that it lets more air escape from the line or get a better boost controller.

Try blowing threw the controller as you have it set then open it until its easier to blow threw. Ive never used a bleed style so i cant say how much it will need to leak to make a difference.

Are you still using stock computer and AFM? The bleed style will create a boost leak, while minimal is still there. I would recommend switching to a ball and spring style as they allow zero pressure to the gate until boost is high enough to move the ball. This leads to faster spool aswell and no leak.