HKS coilovers

Stu_22

Mar 27, 2006
England
Tried fitting my HKS coilovers this evening but ran out of light and warmth.

Anyway I only got japanese instructions with them so not sure if there is a left and right to each shock. If so which way should the little adjustment knob at the bottom of the shock be pointing( into the car or out)

Thanks

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
The coilovers are the same from right to left. The knob at the bottom of the shock should be a shrader valve -- which you will probably leave alone unless you want to play around with nitrogen pressures (so it doesn't really matter if you can easily access it).

On the top damping adjustment (with the little hex tool): clockwise is stiffer, counterclockwise is softer.

Here is the thread from Supraforums when I first installed mine: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148302&highlight=hipermax

Jeff

Stu_22

Mar 27, 2006
England
Thanks for the replies. I will have to look at it again if it dries up a bit over here.

Just the top mounts looked as if they would not line up with the three holes in the car.

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
Stu_22 said:
Thanks for the replies. I will have to look at it again if it dries up a bit over here.

Just the top mounts looked as if they would not line up with the three holes in the car.

You should be able to hold the body of the coilover in place and twist the upper pillowball mount to whatever angle you need. Or you can install the upper part of the coilover into the body, then twist the lower body to line up. Either way, you will want to back off any preload on the spring until the coilover is installed in the car...

PS, you probably noticed, but just in case: the coilovers are different from front to back (the rear coilovers have smaller studs on the pillowball mounts)

Stu_22

Mar 27, 2006
England
Yeah I notied the triangle top mounts are for the rear.

I thought it would be easier to release the spring load once its fitted to the car.

Thanks again

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
SupraOfDoom said:
Pics and review.!

I had them, spring rate was very low, pretty much for drag racing only. One of mine needed to be rebuilt at only 6k miles, it lost nitrogen pressure and started to leak oil badly. HKS doesn't offer any parts and they can only be serviced in-house at HKS for around $300 each. Hopefully you have much better luck then I did with these very expensive coilovers.

Stu_22

Mar 27, 2006
England
Sorry to bring this up again but I'm beggining to think I ve been sold the wrong ones.

The rear stud on the top mount are bigger than tandard so dont go throught the holes.

The front stud are just on a wrong circle so again dont go through the car shell.

To make thing worse I bought them a while ago through ebay this guy seemed to sell a lot of partially used suspension from japan. I dont suppose anyone has any details on him