High Output Alternator ?

88jspec

By any Means Necessary...
Oct 3, 2005
Atlanta..Ga
Hey if i install a 130 amp alt. in my 88gte, would it cause any damage, or do have to change anything.

thx,s for any advice...

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
are you sure the mr2 is 120? I've seen 130 and 100 on supraforums and when I google it or look at parts catalogs I seen 100 as the highest.

100 is available on the turbo and non-turbo, with power steering. supraforums said check turbo, but both some with 100A alts once they have power steering.

100 is a good upgrade from 80, but I was looking at price differences and it doesnt seem worth it, the canadian places Im looking have the mr2 alt about double the price as the 7M ones.

I didnt think it was a bad buy when you consider that they come with a good warranty depending where u get them (up to lifetime) and this is when I thought they were 130. But like I said I've been looking around and I see OEM mr2 alts at 100A max.

If anyone disagress I'm willing to listen but I'd like a link please to a source that sells a 120 or 130 amp mr2 alt. not aftermarket though.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
Thanks for the link, but maybe you didn't understand what I was asking for. I wanted to know if anyone had a link to show me whether there are any oem alternators that have an output greater than 100A.

I ask because 100A is the highest I see on part site but on forums I find people quoting higher outputs, as high as 130, from an mr2 alt. I didn't want to just go on their word since I could not find these high output mr2 alternators in parts catalogs.

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
I checked autozone on the mr2 one, because i have that saved as a car of mine... and they one they had were 100 amps... but i'll look again if you want... i have nothing better to do. haha

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
Nope... i cant find anyone for sale thats over 100amps... i still think that guy got one from like a truck or something and it just fits the supra... but who knows.

email the guy and ask for a part number, i'll go cross reference it and see what cars come up with using it.

Guyana00

Droppin that JZ in soon!
Apr 18, 2007
Brampton, ON
Thanks Rennat. I just wanted to confirm my information and I'm 100% sure now that oem mr2 alts are 100A.

sancho, no offense, but I just dont think you understand what I was asking for. Unless you were posting that link for someone else. I could understand your line of thinking if the ebay listing was even for the correct gen mr2, but I don't know where you're going with this....thanks anyways.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Be warned that the higher amp alts are physically bigger and will interfere with the breather hose behind it. The output post is also bigger (you will need to enlarge the ring connector on the harness, and the position is rotated so that the harness needs to be pulled around. All in all, if you are looking for a drop-in, go with the stock alt. Its also debatable whether the stock harness, especially on the pre89s has enough current handling for 130A continuous.

I believe the MR2 with electric power steering (EPS) has a >100A alt rating.