High Flow Catalytic Converters

YoungGunSupra

Sep 10, 2009
Walnut, California
Hey,

does anyone know a good place to get a 3" high flow cat thats California CARB legal? its been a pain in the ass so far to try and find one. or does anyone by chance have one layin around that they wanna sell? Thanks!

John

YoungGunSupra

Sep 10, 2009
Walnut, California
haha im ballsy. well i talked to some guys..they said the power diff between a regular cat and a high flow is not that m uch..and the high flow cat might not even pass emissions...so im probably better off just getting a bolt on 3" cat for now and a 3" test pipe when i ride around town...thinki might just do that....now anyone know a place to get a good 3" bolt on catalytic converter CA CARB LEGAL?! THANKS!!

WhtMa71

D0 W3RK
Apr 24, 2007
Macon, GA
A hi-flow cat should pass emissions. Metal core cats are going to flow more than ceramic core cats. I would go with a 300 cell count metal core cat to be safe and make sure you pass emissions as the 100 cells are kind of iffy on if they can pass.

It's going to be cheaper to just buy a universal catalytic converter and weld the flanges on.

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
just put your stock exhaust on when you go to get it smoged..save your self some money and just buy a 3in test pipe when you get your exhuast cause last time i checked its around 2oo for a 3in cat...what kind of muffler do you have..?

Dingoboy

Dec 25, 2009
Tampa, FL
http://www.randomtechnology.com/

I used their hi-flo cat on my 7M-GTE build back in the 90's, and my emissions test scores actually improved over the stock cat that had 70k miles. I was passing with the stockers, too- my scores just got cleaner with the RT Cat.

Their intro page says they are CARB legal.

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
you have to have a licensed tech claim that the original cat was damaged according to CA laws. so take it off and smash the insides on accident ;)

"Both CARB and the EPA do not allow the replacement of a catalytic converter with non-exempt "high flow" performance replacement unit. In fact, it is technically not legal to even replace a converter unless it has been proven by technician to have failed, and then it can only be replaced with an exempt OEM equivalent unit. (However, enforcement of this requirement is difficult and is the primary loop-hole that allows the usage of so-called "high flow" catalytic converters. Many of these units are sold with the disclaimer as being a "race" component and are not intended for street use.) Due to the hundreds of vehicle models produced over the years, it is virtually impossible to determine by glancing under a car whether the converter is the original unit, a legal OEM replacement, or a non-legal aftermarket "high flow" performance unit. However, changing regulations require imprinting the exemption number, manufacturer code, and manufacture date, making it easier for technicians to determine the origin of the product and the intended application."

Last edited:

YoungGunSupra

Sep 10, 2009
Walnut, California
GODDD i hate california. ok well its kinda cold to go outside and check but is the stock cat welded on or is it bolt on. hopefully i can just get a test pipe..ill be getting DM's 3inch DP and tanabe touring catback so i gotta find a 3" cat or just stick wit a universal cat and use the test pipe when im ridin around

dubsupra209

CENCAL SUPRAS
Mar 6, 2009
Merced, CA
YoungGunSupra;1527707 said:
GODDD i hate california. ok well its kinda cold to go outside and check but is the stock cat welded on or is it bolt on. hopefully i can just get a test pipe..ill be getting DM's 3inch DP and tanabe touring catback so i gotta find a 3" cat or just stick wit a universal cat and use the test pipe when im ridin around

if your buying the whole tenabe exhuast its comes with a 3in cat if its a 3in exhaust.........

mecevans

Supramania Contributor
Jan 18, 2009
M-bay, cali
any cat will do. if you make it "look" original they wont know. even still the DP is not legal cause it has no cat so keep the heat shields on so they cant see. i got lucky and my smog tech is a supra owner and looked the other way. be stealthy, act dumb, or be prepared with CARB numbers.

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
dubsupra209;1527709 said:
if your buying the whole tenabe exhuast its comes with a 3in cat if its a 3in exhaust.........

You sure about that bud?

---------- Post added at 05:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 AM ----------

dubsupra209;1527709 said:

You sure about that bud?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Running a test pipe means:
- You're cheap
- you're running leaded race gas

Have fun with those trucks that do the sniffer as you pass them on the on ramps. And have fun in cruises when people don't want to be around your car because it makes their eyes burn...

T701jz

3M ENGINEER - R.&.D
Jul 23, 2005
Santa Clarita Ca.
$2G for not having a cat install in cal. They been checking lately so be careful. I know someone who got impounded for not having one.

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
I passed with my three inch Magna flow. Yes, I live in CA.

---------- Post added at 06:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 AM ----------

Whats the h.p. differance with out a cat?

thedave925

Since 9/16/05
Nov 9, 2005
East Bay, Cali
Am i really reading this garbage???
Why do hi-flo cats exist?!?! Think about it.

California makes many dumb rules that only an official bent on nailing you would use to exact his revenge.
Like the license plate up front law, 18" from the floor and lower than 36", yet a dropped supra is below the minimum and wind-shields dont count because its "not on the front of the vehicle".
Law is up to interpretation, so, if you get stopped, show the officer that you're aware of the law and that you did what you could to conform.
The fact that you don't get shady is +1 and that much easier to get a warning rather than a ticket.
If your worried about the law, don't attract attention.

Smog techs only check the cat is present, and once in a while that there is 2. A pre-smog test run would tell you if the shop is cool or fruitcake.

RT makes a bolt in CARB legal 3" cat, i have one.
I keep the stocker just in case, i don't like throwing out stock parts.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
thedave925;1527791 said:
Am i really reading this garbage???
Why do hi-flo cats exist?!?! Think about it.

California makes many dumb rules that only an official bent on nailing you would use to exact his revenge.
Like the license plate up front law, 18" from the floor and lower than 36", yet a dropped supra is below the minimum and wind-shields dont count because its "not on the front of the vehicle".
Law is up to interpretation, so, if you get stopped, show the officer that you're aware of the law and that you did what you could to conform.
The fact that you don't get shady is +1 and that much easier to get a warning rather than a ticket.
If your worried about the law, don't attract attention.

Smog techs only check the cat is present, and once in a while that there is 2. A pre-smog test run would tell you if the shop is cool or fruitcake.

RT makes a bolt in CARB legal 3" cat, i have one.
I keep the stocker just in case, i don't like throwing out stock parts.

Head lights cant be lower than 23" or you have modified suspension. I just measured my license plate on level surface and i highly doubt that my car is dropped 8 inchs lol. Unless your talking about the top of it which im only 1 in below. And my head lights are like .5-1in above 23".

The laws out here are a joke but if you have a cat most smog techs are just going to look to see that you have a cat and if it passes they dont care.