High compression high RPM 7M-GE build

andrew_mx83

Mar 22, 2008
Melbourne
Thanks, some good info there and nice to know the 2j alternator fits without too much work. The mechman looks like a great piece of kit but more than I'm looking to spend unfortunately.
There are a million "high output" rewound 2jz alts on ebay in the 160-200 amp range but it seems there are mixed reviews on their performance. There's plenty of 7m options upto 150 amp as well, I wonder if the DM unit is just one of these?

I had thought about using a modern ford (or other brand) unit but I'm unsure how to wire them into the car as they all seem to have less connections on the back than the 3 (batt, ign, light) I'm used to on toyota alts.

Yotarip

Feb 20, 2015
Virginia
I know your steering system is already finished but converting your hydraulic system with an electrically assisted column from a toyota yaris would be pretty easy with the skills you have. I helped a buddy with a yaris steering conversion to his 94 toyota mini truck. Works great.

andrew_mx83

Mar 22, 2008
Melbourne
Great info, thanks! I thought the electric column would have been much harder but a quick Google reveals a few easy looking options. I had a customer ask if it can be done the other day so will pass it on.

andrew_mx83

Mar 22, 2008
Melbourne
Ok ive been chipping away at the small jobs on this over the last couple of weeks and feel like im finally getting somewhere.

Rebuilt and installed a starter motor
20180227_122100.jpg

Got onto a brand new genuine toyota 130 amp alternator from a 1KD engine which went in pretty easy. Ive since changed the pulley to a shorter one so it has a some clearance to the fan
20180301_132530.jpg

20180301_175245.jpg

Finished off the plumbing side of things. Clutch is done, power steering done, oil lines done bar one fitting to tighten up, water lines done, pcv done, brake booster done, fuel lines done and filter installed.
So far as i can tell, every hose on the car is now brand new.
Next step i guess will be to fill it all with fluids and leak check/bleed everything. Bonus of all the electric accessories is i will be able to "bench test" most of it before even trying to start the engine.

I bought an AC/DC TIG and have been (slowly) learning to weld aluminium with it. Raditor outlets have been moved but im having trouble getting pinholes in one of them so getting a mate over next week to help sort that out.
Fans are mounted to the radiator already. They miss the motor by about 10mm MAX :/

Got an airbox out of a Chrysler Voyager V6 and somehow managed to squeeze it in.

20180307_185109.jpg

20180307_185208.jpg

Ive got a throttle cable kit coming in the next few days, once that's made and the radiator sorted then the mechanical part of the build will be basically complete and i can move onto wiring it all up and maybe even starting it. I'm getting excited!!!!!

Reactions: trofimovich

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Your new components are very nice and clean, looks great.

What do you think of the Technico cam gears?
I am thinking of picking up a set for myself.

andrew_mx83

Mar 22, 2008
Melbourne
Thanks Nick.

My opinion on the cam gears is probably a bit biased because i make them, and all the other Technico parts :)
The main reason I developed the cam gears is that i wasnt happy with any of the other aftermarket offerings, they all have an aluminium outer gear section which wears away from the timing belt in a relatively small number of miles. I have a couple of other brand aftermarket gears here with nearly half the tooth worn away.

The OEMs all use steel (well, sintered metal) for their cam gears, and with good reason. They will do over a million miles with no sign at all of wear. So my adjustable gears use the stock toyota outer section and a billet aluminium adjustable centre section.
I'm currently rebuilding the head on a 7m i built around 8 years ago, which was fitted with one of the very early sets of adjustable gears. It's done over 100,000 hard kms in that time and apart from the zinc plating wearing off where the belt runs (which happens in the first 100 miles anyway) there is no damage or wear whatsoever.

I trust your other parts arrived safely, i have one pair of 7m gears left in stock. Once these are gone it will be some time before i have more as ive nearly exhausted the local supply of stock gears and i havent been able to buy them brand new like i do the JZ ones. Maybe somebody stateside has a stash of them hidden away they can sell me....

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 30, 2005
MKE, WI
Hah!

Well that makes perfect sense then.
Its a small world after all :D

Yes the parts I got from you arrived packaged very well, thanks!

Good to meet someone else also continuing to make quality parts for the MKIII.
Pretty much the same route I am taking with my build, when the part is not available that meets my needs, make it myself.

Agreed on the steel outer, OEM's do it for a reason - longevity.
Aftermarket parts makers don't always grasp these important points, or they have no clue the implications of material selection.

I bet there are quite a lot of people with OEM cam gears lying around.
They switch to aftermarket and forget about them.

I will shoot you a message on that last set you have.

andrew_mx83

Mar 22, 2008
Melbourne
So ive been working away at this and getting it closer and closer to starting.
Throttle cable, radiator and fans all done and installed. I've been chipping away at finalising the instrument cluster and that's nearly done too.
You can see just how little room there is for fans but they do fit. They wrap around the top of the crank pulley with minimal clearance also.
20180314_124125%20(2).jpg

20180314_124133.jpg

With the radiator done it was time to fill er up with fluids:
Filled gearbox and transfer with oil
Filled clutch fluid and bled. Had a hell of a time getting it to bleed up and i still have a tiny weep from one of the fittings which is a pain but at least i have a pedal now.
Filled it with water, sorted out a couple of pinholes in the bottom radiator hose hardline that i welded, filled it with water again and no leaks woo hoo. Hotwired the electric water pump, got things sloshing around and bled all the air out.
Filled the power steering, hotwired its pump as well and bled it the air out. Power assistance works well although the pump is noisier than i'd like. It's a bit weird having power steering without the engine running!!
Filled the engine with running in oil, wired up the starter and oil pressure switch and cranked til i got pressure -only took as a couple of seconds as i primed the pump pretty well. Doubt there's much over 10psi yet and the oil was cold but so far no leaks. Pretty stoked that my bulkhead fitting out of the oil pump and through the sump seems to be working so far. Engine takes 6.6 litres on a dry fill, up from 5.1 standard due to the lines, cooler and modified sump.

So that's all the fluids filled, bled and ready to go.

Ive started working away on the ecu and wiring in earnest, have most if it nutted out now. Still need to find a nice fuse and relay box to put somewhere for when i do the power side of things though.

andrew_mx83

Mar 22, 2008
Melbourne
Damn, looks like a lot of lost content in here :(

In summary:
Got truck running.
Blew motor on dyno. Previous run made 150rwkw.
Rebuilt motor.
Got inspected, certified and registered.
Drove the balls off it for ~3 years and ~50,000km while constantly modifying and improving things.
Countless off road adventures.
Motor is currently hard to start when cold, blows smoke under load and is a few ponies short. Excessive leakdown on 3 cylinders.
Bought a Cayenne Turbo while I think about what to do with the Hilux next :cool: