High boost break up

chris_2jz

Feb 17, 2009
tampa
1jzgte - Like the title says around 4-5rpms when boosting my boost breaks up with sputter like sounds. Also I used to idle at 800 now I'm at 1,200 since it started happening. I was told it might be due to my coil packs having cracks, so I checked my coil packs and I found cracks on all six of them. Can anyone confirm that diagnoses? I have pics
d03655a5-d4c4-7b0c.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S phone

Last edited:

chris_2jz

Feb 17, 2009
tampa
Well going off what someone this similar problem recommended I used nail polish, let dry and then I used 1" heat shrink and wrapped around the stem of the coil pack turned on the car and...... Nothing still doing the same thing. Any other recommendations?

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Check your spark plug gaps as well. Should be around .028-.030" for our cars. You'd be surprised how far off they can be when they're "pre-gapped".

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
I had to run my NGK 4644's @ .020 to keep it from breaking up at WOT. This was with an HKS DLI also. Now I have the celica coils and I run them at .028 with no break up at all. The cracks in the coil's won't affect the idle. You probably have a vacuum leak somewhere causing it to idle differently.

RacerXJ220

Interdimensional
Mar 30, 2005
Abalama
Yes sir, they rock.

2.5ms for dwell, they rev up all the way to 8750rpms with no breakup. I am on a .24 - .26 gap.

chris_2jz

Feb 17, 2009
tampa
Iight guys I went ahead and gapped my plugs from .40 (never gapped when bought) to .28 and that fixed my break up at high boost and as for the idle I found 2 vacuum lines loose one to my boost gauge and the other to my external wastegate so when all three things were fixed it fixed my boost and I'm idling at 800 again. Big thanks to te72 and suprahero thanks guys!

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Id put a clamp or something on the waste gate. That prolly wouldnt end well if that fell off and the wastegate never opened in boost.

chris_2jz

Feb 17, 2009
tampa
hvyman;1740517 said:
Id put a clamp or something on the waste gate. That prolly wouldnt end well if that fell off and the wastegate never opened in boost.

Could that be the reason my turbo now has shaft play? Cause I think that waste gate hose recently came off and I have a little bit of play on the shaft and it wasn't long ago I checked my turbo and it didn't have shaft play.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Maybe if it just kept spinning and spinning. But youd most likely have some sort of engine problem if you boosted 30+psi or something.

Have a friend with a 1jz and 2jz twins. His wastegate hose came off and it blew out the rings on no6 nad possibly 5.

What turbo and bov are you running.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
More than likely like The Fatman......ooops, I mean hvyman said, you'd had engine problems if your wastegate didn't perform properly. That's why I love my Stinger or any other standalone. You can set the overboost so that kind of thing won't happen if the wastegate does stay closed for some reason. The shaft play from your turbo will move a little from side to side. You just dont' want in and out play.

As for the celica coils..........best thing I've ever bought for my car. I used to fight break up at high boost even with the HKS DLI and new coil packs. These fixed all of it. I had Jeff (Racerxj220) help me with the wiring. The ones I bought came from Jarco on eBay. 1zzfe is what they are.

To the OP, make sure you check all of your vacuum lines and install some zip ties on them. Good luck.

chris_2jz

Feb 17, 2009
tampa
hvyman;1740552 said:
Maybe if it just kept spinning and spinning. But youd most likely have some sort of engine problem if you boosted 30+psi or something.

Have a friend with a 1jz and 2jz twins. His wastegate hose came off and it blew out the rings on no6 nad possibly 5.

What turbo and bov are you running.

Ummm master power turbo and idk about the waste gate I bought the car built =/ but.... After the test drive the car ran perfect so.... Is their any chance my waste gate isn't working properly or am I just lucky?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Prolly just the turbo going out. Maybe it fell off right after you boosted and then found it. It would have spiked quick and you would have felt a insane power increase like no other.

chris_2jz

Feb 17, 2009
tampa
hvyman;1740675 said:
Prolly just the turbo going out. Maybe it fell off right after you boosted and then found it. It would have spiked quick and you would have felt a insane power increase like no other.

Yea differently didn't feel insane power, thats probably what happen..... Well whatever it is I'm just happy she's back at 100% with no damage to the engine =)

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
suprahero;1740630 said:
More than likely like The Fatman......ooops, I mean hvyman said, you'd had engine problems if your wastegate didn't perform properly. That's why I love my Stinger or any other standalone. You can set the overboost so that kind of thing won't happen if the wastegate does stay closed for some reason. The shaft play from your turbo will move a little from side to side. You just dont' want in and out play.

As for the celica coils..........best thing I've ever bought for my car. I used to fight break up at high boost even with the HKS DLI and new coil packs. These fixed all of it. I had Jeff (Racerxj220) help me with the wiring. The ones I bought came from Jarco on eBay. 1zzfe is what they are.

To the OP, make sure you check all of your vacuum lines and install some zip ties on them. Good luck.
How does the Stinger handle overboost conditions, changing the timing to retard it a ton so you know to back out? I can't see it mechanically fixing the problem, being that it's a computer, but... you have my interest.

Oh, and I wonder if the 1zz shares the coils with the 2zz. Never heard of a 1zz revving THAT high, even if they share the same bottom end...

hvyman;1740675 said:

Happened to a friend of mine, someone had messed with his car somehow (trying to steal the boost controller I believe), and it didn't open the wastegate until WELL past the point of prudence... ended up damaging his driveshaft, among other things. Said it was a blast for the split second it took him to back off...

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
I'm pretty sure jay has revved his engine to that high with the 1zz coils.

Those are cop with built in igniters if I'm not mistaken. Which since each coil has it's own built in igniter So it can cool down quicker and longer and produce a good spark even at high rpm and boost.

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Aug 26, 2005
Roll Tide
Yeah, they do have their own built in igniter. I've revved my car to about 7800rpm a few times, but Jeff revs his higher. We both have 1.5jz with the same Stinger and coils.

As for the Stinger saving my engine, it cuts fuel if it reaches the boost level you set. I have mine set at 29psi. I'm running on wastegate only though with a 23psi spring at the moment. I plan on tuning it for 27psi once this heat dissipates a little. I have the Snow's performance meth injection kit. I've ran it at 26psi for a few months. I just don't like running it with that much boost when it's a hundred degrees outside. It's probably safe enough to do it, but I'm a little sissy girl and I dont' really feel like rebuilding my engine.