High Beam and Fog Light Issues After HID Retrofit

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Hey guys, I recently did a HID projector retrofit into my Supra. Link to that project(http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?187113-Some-Questions-on-Doing-HIDs-the-Right-Way). Everything works great except for two things. The first thing is that the high beam indicator on the dash no longer comes on when I turn the high beams on.

My other issue has to do with my fog lights and high beams. When I have both the fog lights and headlights on and then turn on the high beams the high beams are stuck on until I turn off the fog lights.

I'm not sure what the problem is or how to solve it and was hoping someone here would know how to. I'm not all that worried about the high beam indicator because it is really easy to tell when they are on, but if it is a simple fix it would be nice to have the indicator function. I assume it has something to do with not having a real bulb plugged into the car harness and instead just the relay harness plugged into the driver's side and nothing on the passenger side.

Any input is appreciated.
Thanks!

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
hvyman;1981988 said:
Sounds like it's in the wiring.

I assume it is, but the stock wiring hasn't been altered and worked perfect before. I think it has to do with the relay harness. I would think the fog light rewire would solve this but I am not sure.

When you do the fog light rewire so that they can come on at any time do they still have the auto off function like the stock lights do?

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
The MKIII uses resistance based circuits to operate various lighting functions. Most generic HID kits are only designed to sense if a particular high/low beam circuit is active and operate the HID accordingly. They are not designed to be an active part of the circuit as required by the MKIII.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
hvyman;1982037 said:
When you open the door headlights fog lights go off auto off?

Both head lights come on using only 1 headlights plug?

http://www.cygnusx1.net/Supra/Library/TEWD/MK3/manual.aspx?S=Main&P=060
For high beams indicator to come on head lights have to be on and then high beams to be on with the switched on.

Yes, all the lights go off when you open the door with the stock wiring, I'm not sure though if the fog lights go auto off if you rewire them. They do go off though with the stock wiring.

Yes, both of them come on using only the drivers side plug. The harness for the HIDs plugs into the drivers side, and then runs wires to both the passenger and driver side because the HIDs use different plugs. When I installed them I plugged the harness into the driver side and just taped off the passenger plug to prevent anything from getting in it.

Dirgle;1982030 said:
The MKIII uses resistance based circuits to operate various lighting functions. Most generic HID kits are only designed to sense if a particular high/low beam circuit is active and operate the HID accordingly. They are not designed to be an active part of the circuit as required by the MKIII.

Ok, so the problem is because there is no change in resistance when I turn on the high beams, it is just a shield that is pulled down to allow more light. Plus the lights are not even plugged directly into the stock headlight plug it is the harness that is plugged in there.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
jetjock;1982120 said:
That's yer problem right there. That and what Dirgle said.

Alright that's kinda what I figured. I did a little more research and it looks like this is a problem on a lot of Toyotas.

I think I can get one of these and it will fix my indicator light problem, but I am not sure if it will fix the issue with the fog lights.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9003-H4-HB2...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5af5b1cc61&vxp=mtr

There are also these harness adapters that I saw, I'm not quite sure if this is the same thing as the link above or if this would be needed to fix my problem with the fog lights.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/H4-HB2-9003...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5657407cfc&vxp=mtr

Any suggestions or thoughts on these?

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Poodles;1982353 said:
Foglight rewire and a resistor across the high beam contacts on the unused plug (the resistor doesn't always work!)

Alright, thanks. I guess I am going to order the thing in that first link instead of me trying to put a resistor in there to solve the highbeam indicator issue. From what I read it sounds like it does the same thing as a resistor. I'll put that in when I pull my headlights to replace my recalled ballasts.

When you do the foglight rewire and you have only the foglights on do they still automatically shut off when you open the door like the other lights do?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Silver MK3;1982385 said:
When you do the foglight rewire and you have only the foglights on do they still automatically shut off when you open the door like the other lights do?

Honestly don't remember, but I think so. I never used that feature as the headlights stay up if you do that.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Nick M;1982400 said:

That the high beam indicator doesn't work after doing an HID retrofit.

Poodles;1982498 said:
Honestly don't remember, but I think so. I never used that feature as the headlights stay up if you do that.

Alright, I always put the headlights down as well but I like the feature because during the day I usually have my parking lights on and they shut off when I get out of the car as well. If I have to turn off the fog lights manually its not the end of the world.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Silver MK3;1982522 said:
That the high beam indicator doesn't work after doing an HID retrofit.

That damn integration relay...Actually, I would have to put my nose in a Toyota book, which I have not done in some time. But I can take Dirgle's word for it.

It depends on how you wire the fog lamp. I wired it similar to the Canada models. The switch only controls the relay and stays low current. And it has no effect and is not affected by any other system. Fused B+ and the switch grounds the relay. Simple, easy, reliable.

Last edited:

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
Nick M;1982611 said:
That damn integration relay...Actually, I would have to put my nose in a Toyota book, which I have not done in some time. But I can take Dirgle's word for it.

It depends on how you wire the fog lamp. I wired it similar to the Canada models. The switch only controls the relay and stays low current. And it has no effect and is not affected by any other system. Fused B+ and the switch grounds the relay. Simple, easy, reliable.

This is the guide that I was going to use for rewiring the fog lights since my car is an 87. http://www.supras.com/06/techcenter/display.php?QID=41

I didn't realize the parking lights have to be on for the fog lights to work after doing this so it would make sense that they shut off when the door is opened as well.

Does this look like it is similar to the way that you did yours?

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
I wired my relay coil to an ignition switched 12V supply. That way, the fogs go off with the ignition. The link above is crazy. I would not follow that advice (grounding pin2 of the relay and tapping into the defog power wire???).

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
3p141592654;1982635 said:
I wired my relay coil to an ignition switched 12V supply. That way, the fogs go off with the ignition. The link above is crazy. I would not follow that advice (grounding pin2 of the relay and tapping into the defog power wire???).

OK, why is the way described in the link bad? Sorry if that is a stupid question, I'm not very knowledgeable with electrical stuff.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Been a while since I looked but iirc there's all sorts of bad with that link, one of which is how the lamp load ends up being on a control circuit. What happens when kids with enough electrical knowledge to be dangerous make things "better"...

drogon

Oct 29, 2013
Dallas Texas
Silver Mk3 did you try the EBay H4 Warning Error Canceller? If so did it work for getting the hi-beam indicator working ? I currently have the same problem will buy it if it works.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
That link has you cutting the 15A fog light circuit that's dedicated to powering the fogs and replacing it with the TAIL circuit, which was not designed for a 110W fog light load. There's more, but that's the worst of it.