HID Projector Fogs Prototype

Freshmaker

Feb 3, 2007
Oconomowoc, Wi
Here is my latest project! I drew up the custom housings on solid works, made them in a SLS machine (rapid prototype machine), painted the whole thing black and the inside of the housing "chrome". I call it a prototype because its not perfect in its fitment, but they work great!

The projectors are Morimoto Mini's and they are a TIGHT fit. There is no way a bigger projector would work well on 87 fogs. The HID kit is a cheapie from TOP HID KITS. They sent me the wrong color! I asked for 4.3k and I got 8k... Hopefully they will get me some new ones.

Why did I choose the fogs? My Sylvania sealed beams are pretty decent already, and my stock fogs were worthless. Plus, making new fogs is a lot easier than modding the pop-ups.

The aim is horizontal at 11" off the ground. The output is great and extremely helpful, especially peripheral lighting! I drove behind my buddy at a variety of distances and I only shined him when I came over a steep hill. No drivers have flashed me at all.

These are cell phone pics, I will try and get some good pics with my GF's digital SLR camera and maybe a video :)

Attachments

• MKIII Supra HID Fo&#.png
    MKIII Supra HID Fo&#.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 21
  • MKIII Supra HID Fo&#.png
    MKIII Supra HID Fo&#.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
  • 0605002341..jpg
    0605002341..jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 0605001322a..jpg
    0605001322a..jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 0605002342..jpg
    0605002342..jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 16

whitemike

Banned
Aug 30, 2009
Winter Park, Florida, United States
Looks pretty damn good IMO! I'm glad to see people using projectors instead of the regular housings for HIDs. It really pisses me off when i get blinded by an ignorant driver who just shoved an HID kit in his car.

Good work, I'd like to see more pics of the housings OUT of the car tho if you could

-Mike

Freshmaker

Feb 3, 2007
Oconomowoc, Wi
The shape is actually pretty hard to get right. I made the clear part out of .125" clear poly carbonate so its flat. The stock ones actually have a decent amount of contour to them.

With my first design, I made a new bracket as well, but that didn't turn out the best. Getting the correct plane to orientate the projector is a huge hassle. Instead, I drilled some new holes in my stock bracket and that worked a lot better.