hg questions

thebadz32

Mar 16, 2008
Louisville Ky,
Well im finally swaping to a 7mgte.The motor i recieved has a rod knock so im just gonna do a stock rebuild first question i have is what head gasket is better hks bead type or titan motor sports bead type? Also what thickness should i get? i have a spare gte block that im gonna do a full build on so tho only thing ill prolly do to this motor is turn up the boost to about 13psi leaveing everything else fairly stock. should i get the thin one if there isnt any head warpage?

thebadz32

Mar 16, 2008
Louisville Ky,
IJ.;1107858 said:
Titan = Cometic

Shop for price they're all much the same at that level.

on titans web site the hks 1.2 is the same price as the 1.4 titan hg but there is a huge price diffrence between both brands on the 2.0 hg titans says theres is like 118 and the hks 2.0 is like 250 lol.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
NA cams in a turbo motor isn't really an "upgrade" IMO. I does shift the power curve to the lower end, at the expense of high end.

I'd wait to see how much material is removed from the block/head decks before I made a decision on thickness. The block will likely have to be decked to meet the RA spec for an MHG.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
jdub;1107895 said:
NA cams in a turbo motor isn't really an "upgrade" IMO. I does shift the power curve to the lower end, at the expense of high end.

That's exactly right, and for me it is an upgrade, not only on the street, but at the strip. After installing na cams my 60' times improved significantly and the car feels more responsive on the street.

The 7m seems alot more comfortable and willing at mid range rpm's, so the na cams seem like a natural for most builds.

thebadz32

Mar 16, 2008
Louisville Ky,
suprabad;1107939 said:
That's exactly right, and for me it is an upgrade, not only on the street, but at the strip. After installing na cams my 60' times improved significantly and the car feels more responsive on the street.

The 7m seems alot more comfortable and willing at mid range rpm's, so the na cams seem like a natural for most builds.

well all i want to do to this motor is just turn up the boost probally to about 13lbs and ill prolly run an open dp for a while so do u think these will be good for me? i like my low end power.

Suprafast0422

Nov 14, 2006
Maryland
are there any head gaskets out there that are in between oem and a mhg? Im really not trying to send my stuff to a machine shop quite yet.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
Nope...if you're not going to machine the block/head decks, go with the OEM HG.

Make sure the head deck is flat!