Help with whistleing intake

DigityD'87

Feb 27, 2008
Portsmouth, NH
What does it mean when your itake system whistles when your turbo starts spooling (gradually louder) and then chirps so to speek when you let off? My engine is completely stock with no aftermarket BOV.

Thanks

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
that 'whistle' could just be the turbo sucking air in... but i would check it for shaft play as its probably hitting the compressor housing on the inside.

is it more of a 'super-charger' whine... or is it like a constant 'whooooooooooo' sound?

that chirp should be your bov...

Angry7M

Formerly redmaro
Sep 6, 2007
AZ
There should be a soft whistling sound from the turbo when it spools up, since the turbine inside is spinning at a high rate. But if its more like a whine then theres problem.

Facime

Leather work expert
Jun 1, 2006
Corvallis OR
DigityD'87;1111687 said:
What does it mean when your itake system whistles when your turbo starts spooling (gradually louder) and then chirps so to speek when you let off? My engine is completely stock with no aftermarket BOV.

Thanks

ummmmm....:slap:

Thats what turbos sound like?

TooRandom

Jun 21, 2008
Seattle, WA
couldn't it just be a simple leak of air? like a hole on the rubber elbows (if you're on stock piping) is it possible for those elbows to get brittle?

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
TooRandom;1112004 said:
cause that happened to my mr2 when i had a hole in my intake. it whistled when i gunned it and it sounded like it was turbo

i had a friend who did that to his 98 eclipse gs... it was beyond annoying... it was really dumb, cause you would hear the whistle of the intake, but the no bov... hahaha

DigityD'87

Feb 27, 2008
Portsmouth, NH
My engine bay is 100% stock and I just did all my accordian tube and vaccum connections over. I know it's not supposed to sound like this because it just started happening about 2 days after i fixed the intake. As soon as my boost gauge starts moveing from -4lbs you can hear it and gradually gets louder. When you quickly back off the gas it almost sounds like a cheap movie sound effect of a laser if that helps.

Also, my stock temp gauge shit the bed. It goes up and down on its own. Just wondering if this was a thermostat problem or the gauge itself.

thanks

DigityD'87

Feb 27, 2008
Portsmouth, NH
Rennat;1111789 said:
that 'whistle' could just be the turbo sucking air in... but i would check it for shaft play as its probably hitting the compressor housing on the inside.

is it more of a 'super-charger' whine... or is it like a constant 'whooooooooooo' sound?

that chirp should be your bov...

Oh it's definately a constant "wooo", but the chirp is the same sound that the turbo seems to be making but more sudden (when you let off the gas hard). And i know my BOV or BPV (whatever) is good because i cant blow throug it at all.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
boost leak

Also, check the fasteners from the manifold to turbo, turbo to elbow, and elbow to downpipe. Sounds like it could be a pre-turbo leak, so look especially between the manifold and turbo.

DigityD'87

Feb 27, 2008
Portsmouth, NH
I'm not so sure it's a boost leak because my gauge still reads 6.5-7lbs (automatic trans.)

And yes my coolent lvl seems fine allthough there is a pinhole in the line goes to the back of the cam covers and runs left across the firewall.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
^^^ nothing, except if he's giving info that might be related to another issue. temp gauge moving up and down is NOT normal, hence another issue how ever small or large it may be

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
grimreaper;1112450 said:
^^^ nothing, except if he's giving info that might be related to another issue. temp gauge moving up and down is NOT normal, hence another issue how ever small or large it may be

i would like to hear what issue would cause a whistleing intake, and causes the temp gauge to move up and down... im rather lost on what would.

grimreaper

Jul 2, 2008
Dallas
who said the temp gauge had anything to do with the whistle??! i never asked or stated that the two were related. that hard to see? i think i stated that clearly in the second post of mine that it was a sign of ANOTHER problem.

OP: Also, my stock temp gauge shit the bed. It goes up and down on its own. Just wondering if this was a thermostat problem or the gauge itself

ME: temp guage moving? you checked your coolant level?