Help with one of the 4 bolts on turbo elbow

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I've gotten 3 of the 4 bolts off, but the last one ( bottom one closest to engine) seems impossible to turn with any tool. I can get a wrench on it, but cannot seem to turn it as the space is small. The turbo is still attached to the engine and I want to get the elbow off without removing it as I'm trying to change the transmission.

Are there any tricks you guys can offer for getting this last bolt off? Any tool that works well? I tried the longest 14mm wrench CT sells which is about 7-8 inches long but that didn't work. I was thinking something like a curved wrench? CT didn't have any though, nor did princess auto.

Any help or ideas would be great, just remember I am not taking the turbo off just to get this last bolt off :)

eric

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
I pulled the 3 coming down for the tailpipe with long extensions and a swivel. I couldn't get either one of those 2 bottom ones loosened on the last turbo.

Not sure which elbow you have but you might be wedged in there by the elbow stopping you from turning a wrench. Wedged meaning right where the nut is.

Ideas ? I bought a 1" huge open end wrench at a pawn shop for $7 and then cut it in half so I could get in and tighten/loosen my modified turbo return line at the block.

SST....supra special tool

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Interlock two hand wrenches...

Also, if it's the stock turbo elbow, it won't come off (well, it will, with a BFH), remove the downpipe instead.

Stretch

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Tomorrow I will probably try and remove the 3 downpipe nuts instead with an extension as mentioned above, as the tsrm also shows that. The elbow is held on to turbo by one bolt but it will probably be impossible for me right now ahahaa so I hope the downpipe to elbow bolts are easier to reach. They looked harder at first, and that is why I didn't try them. Makes me never want to put the stock exhaust back on though once it's off heh.
eric

wh0wants2know

Apr 4, 2005
seattle
Stretch;1216651 said:
Tomorrow I will probably try and remove the 3 downpipe nuts instead with an extension as mentioned above, as the tsrm also shows that. The elbow is held on to turbo by one bolt but it will probably be impossible for me right now ahahaa so I hope the downpipe to elbow bolts are easier to reach. They looked harder at first, and that is why I didn't try them. Makes me never want to put the stock exhaust back on though once it's off heh.
eric

downpipe bolts are easy to get to under the car, but you'll need about 16" of extenders and a u-joint. If you remove the charcoal canister you can get to them all from the top of the car but it's harder. As for the elbow bolt, get a stubby wrench (I think that's what they're called, they're about half the size of a regular combintion wrench). That worked for me but it was still a PITA and it was only possible because the nut was already loose. I usually pull the turbo if I have to work on that, much easier (relatively speaking) and I can do it in about an hour these days.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Flex head gear wrenches are your friend.

31Yjhz4Bd&

Sears sells a craftsman version. So does Mac, Snap On, just about any decent tool line has them.

Dr Chill

4 hungry Supras
Nov 27, 2007
Mississippi
GrimJack;1216901 said:
Flex head gear wrenches are your friend.

31Yjhz4Bd%2BL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Sears sells a craftsman version. So does Mac, Snap On, just about any decent tool line has them.

+ 1, also to stubby wrenches , saved my ass lots of headache

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
what grim jack said... i removed my elbow in 15mins due to me using a ratcheting wrench like that... i've never been a fan of the one with the "tilting" head...

Stretch

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Wow, i must suck then if it's that easy ahaa. I have box wrenches, but no ratcheting wrenches, just the stationary ones you turn, then remove, then put back on and turn. I still don't know how you guys do it for that one bolt, tuched way down between the turbo and motor. I can get the wrench on it, but not enough angle to turn it worth anything. Plus the bolts are mighty stuck so my half gripped hand can't to shit ahahaa.
eric

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
I didn't say it was EASY. :)

The ratcheting wrench helps a lot. There are two bolts on the turbo that I can only turn a few degrees before I have to take off the wrench and turn it over if I'm using a regular wrench.

Apr 10, 2008
South East USA
I was gonna get a set of those gearwrench brand sets at sears for myself at Christmas but there were too many types. They had regular that slides past the nut or bolt, another that had a ridge so it never slides past, and the type in that pic so I was sorta overwhelmed and decided to wait.
Now I'm going to get that set with the flexing head, and making sure it has a 12 and 14 in there.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
The Craftsman set has 10, 12, 13, 14, 17, and 19, which is pretty much perfect. I know, because I *just* bought one.

I actually have a set of these, AND a set of the fixed head ones. IMO, you can't have too many tools.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
GrimJack;1217420 said:
The Craftsman set has 10, 12, 13, 14, 17, and 19, which is pretty much perfect. I know, because I *just* bought one.

I actually have a set of these, AND a set of the fixed head ones. IMO, you can't have too many tools.

but for cats, you need the 16 & 18 lol

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Can't use a gearwrench on my DDP :D

But for removing the turbo...#1 MUST HAVE TOOL

I love my gearwrenches and they're the best "gimmick" tool I've ever bought that I use damn near everywhere...

wh0wants2know

Apr 4, 2005
seattle
GrimJack;1217420 said:

No, you really can't have too many tools. I tend to buy the whole set, so if I need a single wrench of a certain size, I'd rather get the whole set of them if I can just so in case I ever need a wrench like that in a different size then I have one. The only thing that I wish I had that I currently don't (besides a set of crows foot wrenches) is a set of ratcheting stubby combination wrenches. I have the stubby wrenches, the regular combination wrenches, the ratcheting combination wrenches, the offset box wrenches, and the flare wrenches, but no ratcheting stubby combination wrenches because I've never seen them. :(

Also, I love the craftsman tools. I got a whole shitload of them from my uncle Bob when he moved out of his house and into a condo so he lost his shop. He's never seen a tool that he didn't have to purchase at least three of in various sizes and most of his tools are at least 20-30 years old and still work great and are still under the lifetime warranty (I may get two lifetimes out of these). I even have a few tools where uncle Bob said "well, I can't remember exactly what that thing is for, but when it comes up you'll be glad you have it." Someday I'll get all my tools out and take a picture and post it up.

dumbo

Supramania Contributor
Jul 16, 2008
Albera, Too Far North
wh0wants2know;1217544 said:
No, you really can't have too many tools. I tend to buy the whole set, so if I need a single wrench of a certain size, I'd rather get the whole set of them if I can just so in case I ever need a wrench like that in a different size then I have one. The only thing that I wish I had that I currently don't (besides a set of crows foot wrenches) is a set of ratcheting stubby combination wrenches. I have the stubby wrenches, the regular combination wrenches, the ratcheting combination wrenches, the offset box wrenches, and the flare wrenches, but no ratcheting stubby combination wrenches because I've never seen them. :(

crappy tire buddy;)

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
My ratchet wrenches are the first thing I grab. I love em!!

Why not just remove the three bolts at the bottom of the elbow? Soak them with WD40 on a Friday evening, turn on them Saturday Morning, and then go inside for some eggs, bacon, and pancakes after the exhaust is sitting on the ground! :)