Help with Maintenance

mOUs3y

Sep 27, 2012
Saacramento
Hi guys! I'm new to the forums so I hope I'm posting in the right place. I just got a 1989 Toyota Supra. It has 9114 miles. What should I do to the car before I use it? Do I just change the oil, coolant, power steering fluid, clutch/brake fluid and call it a day? thanks for your help. I don't want to end up breaking it or anything. thanks!

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
does it really have 9114 miles?
If so, disconnect the battery, park it in a climate controlled garage and come back in another 20 years. :)

Turbo Habanero

Apr 28, 2009
Tucson,AZ
jetjock;1878773 said:
Probably owns an xbox and has an iphone 5 on order...
I have a Xbox and a cool phone .... Oh wait i think i just proved your point shit!!

On another note Just change all fluids and replace the Water pump and coolant hoses,Vacuum Lines,Valve cover gaskets and anything else that looks old and brittle.

Take a picture of the motor and post it up. Who knows what the 23 year old has been threw.

mOUs3y

Sep 27, 2012
Saacramento
kotu100;1878769 said:
If so, disconnect the battery, park it in a climate controlled garage and come back in another 20 years. :)

LOL! it was already garaged for 20 years. it was indoors and had a cover on it. it was never driven in the rain. everything is original except the oil filter and battery :p

mOUs3y

Sep 27, 2012
Saacramento
Turbo Habanero;1878785 said:
I have a Xbox and a cool phone .... Oh wait i think i just proved your point shit!!

On another note Just change all fluids and replace the Water pump and coolant hoses,Vacuum Lines,Valve cover gaskets and anything else that looks old and brittle.

Take a picture of the motor and post it up. Who knows what the 23 year old has been threw.

what's the rules with posting pictures? how do i go about doing that? never posted pictures in a forum before :p

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
how do the tires look? dry cracked etc? --- this would be one of my few concerns with such an old juvenile

mkiiichip

Sep 10, 2007
WI
kotu100;1878769 said:

I think kotu hit it right on the head^

mOUs3y

Sep 27, 2012
Saacramento
Here ya go guys. Sorry I suck at taking pictures. I wish you guys could smell the new car smell. Every time I get out the car, my clothes has that smell. Anyway, I ended up changing the original tires. The old guys at the tire stores were saying something about not seeing Goodyear eagle GTs in ages or something. They also joked about the air in the tires before they took them off was the original air from japan back in 1989. They said the air in there might be cleaner than the air we breathe today lol. The spare in the back is still original and never used too.

Oh I also have the original sticker thing they put on the window when they sell you the car from the dealer and that car book they give you that talks about the car like those brochure thingys. Let me know if you want me to upload that as well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/87845261@N05/

ryansmith

Mar 25, 2012
New Zealand
Wow... I wound't even drive that. I'd store that away and get another as a daily or project that thing will be priceless in the future, wouldn't want SOMEONE ELSE bumping in to you or risking anything like that... Very nice supra.

Smashey

Dec 29, 2010
Grande Prairie
except for the one in the toyota showroom thats still bran spankin new. lol anyway thats a super great looking car, should probably go get it appraised for alot of moneyz! then drive it :) and enjoy it for what its worth.

mOUs3y

Sep 27, 2012
Saacramento
thanks guys! yeah i am scared that someone will ding me when i park outside at target or something. I was very hesitant to even change out the tires because I wanted to keep everything original but the tire guys convinced me to change it because it might blow up or something. I should have kept those tires though so i can say i still have it. i do have the original battery though sitting in the garage. it's a yuasa brand. i never knew they made car batteries.

unfortunately my corolla's transmission died a few days ago and I need to daily drive this until i get it fixed. the owner asked only two things from me: 1. don't drive it in the rain cuz he never did. I looked under the car and i was like WTF?!. 2. only wash the car and wipe it going one direction only - front to back - lololololol. you should see my neighbors reactions everytime i wash it.

you think i should submit my pics to import tuner or something while it's still looking new?