Help with grenaded 1jz

xsjado

Engine bling!
Jul 15, 2007
Melbourne
Well thanks for all the input guys, now that I have a fair idea of what went wrong I can go in there and try to talk it over with them so it can be resolved without any bloodshed :). I guess that they didn't think AFR's are too important and just wanted to see how much power they could get out of the engine... I made my mistake of leaving them to tune my car while I was not around. I guess in the end I have to look at the positives and now I have a spare 1jz to build up/sell, there goes the 1.5jz dream for a few more years :(.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Jado: We discussed this over dinner last night and a course of action was suggested.

Take your dyno sheets to a well known independent dyno shop and pay them to do a report saying that run 2 should have been aborted then go see a lawyer get a letter drafted for the costs of the replacement motor and hand copies of these to the shop.

You might do ok with them handing you a cheque.

No way known would I have them do ANY of the work fitting the new motor.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
This is over in Australia, from what I've seen, people are less 'sue' happy down there and business are more apt to take responsibility for there actions, than here in the states. Not to say there should have been some kind of agreement, but I'm not as surprised to see it there.

xsjado

Engine bling!
Jul 15, 2007
Melbourne
IJ: Yeah I plan on taking the dyno sheets to a very well known and respected place to have them check everything out, just waiting to see if I can get more info from the dyno runs and print outs of every run.

Viper: Already covered :). My only issue is, I have been friends with these people for a while and they had talked about getting me to sign a waiver, but they never actually got around to making one up as they are still new to the whole thing. Not sure which way I will go here. I am happy to compromise with them and cover some of the costs. But they are paying for all of the labor, seems fair to me.

As for getting them to install the new engine, I am pretty sure they are going to take as much care as possible installing the new engine, not that it matters. Because as soon as the new 1jz is in it's home. Taking it to another place to have everything checked over.

New engine arrives tomorrow btw :D. Now to start brainstorming big ideas for the other engine, assuming the damage isn't too bad.

xsjado

Engine bling!
Jul 15, 2007
Melbourne
Well thought I should just post this up. After having a suspected blown engine and buying a replacement 1JZ, turns out my mechanic was too retarded to figure out that is was actually the impeller(?) from a blown turbo making the loud knocking noise and that my engine is actually fine. I don't understand how someone can be so shit and bad and god knows what else at there day job that they cannot tell the difference between a blown bottom end and a blown turbo. Heck I thought they would have at least checked out everything that could have possibly been at fault before saying "This isn't good, you better go buy a new engine and we will swap it over".

Only good news from this is that I will have my car back soon(hopefully... taken them 5 days to remove blown turbos and replace them with the ones from the donor engine...), bad news is I forked out for a 1jz that I no longer need or want...

xsjado

Engine bling!
Jul 15, 2007
Melbourne
Apparently not for them, everything is apparently still my fault. And to make things better I got a message from them today saying "Swap us the engine and turbos from your 1g and we will cancel your debt here". I didn't realize is costs $1500+ to change over a set of turbos, because that is all they have done. Just wondering now if it is worth taking legal action against them since I can't believe they are trying to pull this on me...

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
I would say absolutely, yes, take legal action!

Even just being organized and getting paperwork to them, they will probably cave in before it goes that far, if not, it sounds like you have a very solid case!

This is pretty unbelievable, funny, pathetic, and depressing all at the same time, I would take my car elsewhere to get the turbo replaced and make sure everything else is ok, and then send them the bill.

You should keep the new 1J and slowly build it up (or collect parts) because eventually you will want more power than the engine can handle :)

xsjado

Engine bling!
Jul 15, 2007
Melbourne
Car is already booked in at another place for Tuesday. Should be getting my car back tomorrow night and having everything checked over on the Tuesday. I would like to keep the spare 1JZ as it is in awesome condition, might even do so if I don't find a buyer soon. Only problem is with all the issues now I really can't afford to keep it. The original plan was to go 1.5jz when I crave more power, just the fact that there are so many more parts available and that I want to run a big fk off turbo :).

Jaguar_5

It's ALIVE!
Feb 7, 2006
Seattle
Sounds like fun :)

Well good luck with everything!! Sucks how much that shop is screwing you around :( Hopefully it will all work out in the end :D

The Reaper

Single, and lovin' it!!
Jan 10, 2006
Florida
wow thats pretty homo. this just leaves another slot for me to say "thats why i do everything myself."

sorry for the bad luck man but that really sucks

suprarcr89

The Juggernaut has my old
I have to agree with reaper... I do everything myself for this exact reason (shops charge too much and you never know if they do something stupid) and if its at a dyno getting tuned im right there watching whats going on... Second I would only take my car to a very reputable shop to get tuned... I dont like to take chances

I would def. sue or at least threaten them as that may cause them to pay upfront